Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Smelling Gas while driving... where to start?

I've had the car opened for spring and out a few times, and last night it got real cold on the ride home. I flipped on the heat, and started smelling gas in the cabin. Its very faint, but its there.

I notice I dont seem to smell it when im not running the ventilation fans, but that could be coincidence. Last night was the first time I drove with the top up.

Where should I start on this? I'm gearing up to do a bunch of maintenance and if its something I can catch in the process than great!

• Admin

The gas cap problem was a mandatory US Recall. So the original owner should have got a postcard and the next visit to any dealership should have had it replaced. They were also required to put a recall compliance sticker on the underside of the engine cover.

I got mine replaced in July 2002.

The gas cap problem was a mandatory US Recall. So the original owner should have got a postcard and the next visit to any dealership should have had it replaced. They were also required to put a recall compliance sticker on the underside of the engine cover.

Good to know. Since its new to me I dont need to point out the obvious that I never got a post card. I'm going to have to go back and give them hell since they saw the car last summer. I put the car into service and I'm not seeing a compliance notice. How wonderful.

My seal isnt cracked like slb's cap, but I suppose I could investigate the fuel vent. Any quick way to test that?

• Admin

Good to know. Since its new to me I dont need to point out the obvious that I never got a post card. I'm going to have to go back and give them hell since they saw the car last summer. I put the car into service and I'm not seeing a compliance notice. How wonderful.

My seal isnt cracked like slb's cap, but I suppose I could investigate the fuel vent. Any quick way to test that?

If the seal leaks bad enough it will cause a CEL.