Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

yet another convertible top stuck...

Shojitsu (and others).

I had a problem with my top also and the clam shell stuck open on one side.

The cable snapped and I have removed it ready for a new cable on Thursday.

Is the microswitch inside the gear mechanism?; and is there a 'reference' point to wind the gearbox to before I re install it. They must be well out of sync now...

• Moderators

Jon, all the messages in this section are for 1997-1999 Boxsters that have a very different gear mechanism/top transmission than the 2000 and newer cars. Your year is not supposed to have problems as it has the new style transmission. :rolleyes:

Our local group has only worked on the older cars. I think you have the repair manual and you know it does not tell you much. The old style has clearly marked match marks so that the gear inside is positioned properly before you bolt the V-lever on. The repair manual for the new style just says to measure from one place to the other so that you have 195 mm.

But, I also saw match marks on the new style I removed. I would set the marks so that they match as the starting point before you bolt the transmission back in with the 3 nuts. These marks on the new style are not mentioned in the repair manual.

top_048.jpg

There is an internal switch - held in my hand. Do not have that on the old style.

top_011.jpg

This shows the planet gears inside the new style. Looks nothing like the old style which has a single half-moon gear. I do not see how you can "jump" off gear with the new style like you can with the old style. At most, perhaps, you can be 180 degrees off and the switch will not like it.

top_ethan11a.jpg

So, other than measuring then only reference point I can figure out is the match marks. I would reinstall your transmission then with a drill run the cables so that the V-levers on both sides are in the same position and the male ball joints are lined up with their female counterparts. Otherwise you will not be able to snap the ball joints back together.

Now we need Mark to confirm.

Thanks Toolpants...

Yes, my gearbox does have the ref mark and I figured out the electric drill thing when I took it apart to confirm that the bale had snapped so that is a good idea.

So, If I run the gearboxes to the ref mark on both sides, refit the cables into the motor, measure the clamshell height, then bolt the arms back on I should be in Business?..

Alslo, the gearbox on the left had a very small electrical connector which I assume is the microswitch?..

I can post the part number if someone can look up which version I have (old or new)..

the car was built in 2001 (nov) but is a 2002 model with the eclectric trunk openers so I am hoping it is the new type.

Would I be right in saying that I would have the new style cables in that case?

Part number is 986 561 717 02

Thanks for the help..!

Just wound the gearbox to the alignment marks so I am assuming all is ok with the gears (using a pice of the snapped cable and an electric drill).

If the microswitch is faulty, can that be fixed separately from the gearbox?.

• Moderators

The new style top transmission started according to the repair manual on May 3, 1999. The picture on the UK board of the transmission you took out is the new style. The part number for the cable that broke on your car now ends in 03 - not 02. I do not see the micro switch listed as a separate part.

I do not know if getting the alignment marks the same on both sides will put the V-levers in the proper position so that you can pop all 4 ball joints back together. We have not worked on a car with the new style and the alignment marks are not mentioned in the manual. Let us know if they do work for future reference.

When Mark come on the board he can tell you how to set the V-levers, or you can try the way in the manual, or you can try here http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...3-97C78ECDE476}

• Moderators

I do not know if those reference marks are going to help you or confuse you. Set both reference marks on both transmissions. Bolt on the V-lever arms. See if the male ball on the lever is where it should be for the matching female part on the push rod for the clam shell. If it is then the reference marks are good for something. If not, then do what Mark says.

This is the service position. The clam shell is in it's highest position. Operate the a transmission with the drill until the the ball for the clam shell push rod joint aligns so you can pop them together. Watch that the push rod with the plastic joint on the other end of the lever does not get hung up on something or you can break the plastic joint. Repeat for the transmission on the other side.

You should then be able to pop the female plastic joints onto the male balls bolted to the roof. Stick cables into the drive motor with the clips.

Have someone operate the dash switch an inch at a time while you watch how things are working.

post-46-1082577034_thumb.jpg

All fixed A1.

Got the replacement cable which is still the 02 last part..

Wound the gears to the ref mark,

Fitted the new cable to the left gearbox

reinstalled it

re ran the cable to the motor

Attached the V levers but only the hood connected

Ran the softtop with the clam in service mode

All was well..

Closed the hood

Attached the springs and moved the clamshell to reach the levers

Tapped the socket onto the ball joint with rubber mallet

Ran the top and ALL WAS WELL!

Refitted all the trims, carpet clips and storage bin

Refitted the small ball hood cables after filling with grease

Re ran the hood to check and ALL IS WELL!..

If anything, the hood closes to the windscreen better than it did before; sometimes it was a stretch to get the clip on to the screen. Maybe that is why the cable snapped due to bad adjustment in the factory.

Was going to post some photos of it but to be honest it was pretty straight forward and the revised design obviously quite a lot better.

Thanks for the preparation though; it sometimes helps to have some time to think over the job whilst waiting for the part.

Took about 40 minutes..