Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Comfortable Ride for 6'4'' drivers

:lightbulb:

Hi guys,

I proudly own a 2001 Boxster and last week I had the chance to test drive a 2007 987 and I noticed there is considerably more leg room. Since I am a 6’4’’ driver and a 987 is at least 3 years down the road, I was wondering if any taller driver has had any idea on how to make the drive even more comfortable in a 986. I though about adapting the seat “trails” or even replacing the seats.

I also noticed that my head almost touches the roll bars and I don’t know how safe that is.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Hi,

If your head hits the roll bar, imagine what

it would be like if you had a helmet on.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comment.

I clearly imagine it would not be safe or feel nice. That's one of the reasons I posted the question.

Please, let me know if you have a more "problem solving" oriented comment. Thanks for the input though.

Gustavo

I am 6'2" 240 lbs. Overall I find the Boxster very comfortable but wish I had a little more room too. I have searched for the same thing and haven't found much out either. My guess is that there really isn't a way of making it happen without serious and probably issue-prone modifications to the rollbars. I keep my seatback a little forward so that God forbid I have an accident my head won't get knocked back into it as easily.

One thing, do you have the full power seats or just power on the seatback? The full power seat takes up a lot of room from what I hear so you could change it out to non-powered for some extra real estate.

And you probably know this already but the seat does move vertically a little as well. I find this to be another way to get some room or just have a welcome change in position.

I am 6'2" 240 lbs. Overall I find the Boxster very comfortable but wish I had a little more room too. I have searched for the same thing and haven't found much out either. My guess is that there really isn't a way of making it happen without serious and probably issue-prone modifications to the rollbars. I keep my seatback a little forward so that God forbid I have an accident my head won't get knocked back into it as easily.

One thing, do you have the full power seats or just power on the seatback? The full power seat takes up a lot of room from what I hear so you could change it out to non-powered for some extra real estate.

And you probably know this already but the seat does move vertically a little as well. I find this to be another way to get some room or just have a welcome change in position.

Thanks for the input James,

Yeah, unfortunately I have not found much on the topic either.

I don't have the full power seats and I already set the vertical position to the lowest. I will see how it feels to keep the seat a little forward.

In the mean time if I find a solution I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Gustavo

I'm 6" but my torso thinks I am 6' 6"

When I sit next to my 6' 6" son, I'm every bit as tall. He is all legs, I'm all torso.

Yes, I found more room and specifically head height in a 987. I was able to get comfortable in a twinkle in the 987.

It takes some adjusting and not rocking the backrest back all the way and making the seat be down as far as it will go before my head will not strike the rollbar on my 986. I've been in a accident where my Boxster 986 was rear-ended and the careful seat position saved me a head bump. It does give up a bit of leg length room and thigh support to do it that way. When I drive 300 miles Sunday, I'll probably set the seat for more comfort on the highway at some point figuring that if any one hits me at 55-75, I'm probably done anyway. But for around town, it is a compromise.

I'm 6" but my torso thinks I am 6' 6"

When I sit next to my 6' 6" son, I'm every bit as tall. He is all legs, I'm all torso.

Yes, I found more room and specifically head height in a 987. I was able to get comfortable in a twinkle in the 987.

It takes some adjusting and not rocking the backrest back all the way and making the seat be down as far as it will go before my head will not strike the rollbar on my 986. I've been in a accident where my Boxster 986 was rear-ended and the careful seat position saved me a head bump. It does give up a bit of leg length room and thigh support to do it that way. When I drive 300 miles Sunday, I'll probably set the seat for more comfort on the highway at some point figuring that if any one hits me at 55-75, I'm probably done anyway. But for around town, it is a compromise.

Thanks Mike for the great advice...

I will give it a try.

Gustavo

GT3 seats sit lower

also do a search for the "tall man's seat bracket"

it was designed with help from robert (augora hills) who is 6'9"

also look for the GT3 console delete that should give you some added knee room

aloha

steve

What about GT3 seats...do they sit lower...giving more head room??

Thanks all for the help...

Steve, I couldn't find anything on the tall man's seat brackets. Do you know where I could look at?

Does anyone know the best way to get GT3 seats at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Gustavo

:renntech:

What kind of seats do you have at the moment? Sports or comfort? I couldn't get comfortable in the last Boxster I sat in with sports seats as the shoulder pads pushed me forward slightly. The comfort seats (the ones without the shoulder "wings") are better for me (about 6' 1", I think, but probably shrinking with age to 6'!) as I can lean further back.

I second the comment about the console delete option (if your car is RHD, I'm not sure the gain is so good for LHD) as I find I could do with more leg room in a RHD 996, so it must be worse in a Boxster.

What kind of seats do you have at the moment? Sports or comfort? I couldn't get comfortable in the last Boxster I sat in with sports seats as the shoulder pads pushed me forward slightly. The comfort seats (the ones without the shoulder "wings") are better for me (about 6' 1", I think, but probably shrinking with age to 6'!) as I can lean further back.

I second the comment about the console delete option (if your car is RHD, I'm not sure the gain is so good for LHD) as I find I could do with more leg room in a RHD 996, so it must be worse in a Boxster.

Hi Paul,

I currently have the comfort seats and I have been putting them all the way down...My main concern is definetly the roll bars. I can deal with the leg room...

Do you guys suggest the GT3 seats or the roll bar extension? How many extra inches am I gonna get with the extension.

BTW if any of you know a little more about the tall man's seat bracket I would appreciate.

Thank you for all the help I have been getting.

Gustavo

Interesting post. I thought that I was the only one that couldn't get totally comforable in my Boxster. I'm 6'2" and have the heated seats in my 2003 S. I would like to be able to raise the front of the seat cushion to give more support to the bottom of my legs and wondered if any of you have figured out how to do that? Do the non-heated seats have a softer bottom cusion or are they all the same.

Thx in advance. Lyn

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Mike,

I checked the brackets....I am now in the process of looking for the GT3 seats.

Anyone have any ideas (I tried Ebay, but saw no good deal)?

Cheers,

Gustavo

Will regular Recaro Pole Position fit? They sell for *500 - $600 as opposed to $1K each.

Thanks,

Gustavo

• 1 month later...

I found that it took around 10 min to temporarily remove the vertical section of the console and set it aside to feel out what the GT3 delete mod would be like. I couldn't get the smile off my face. It was Wonderful!!!!!!! So I ordered the GT3 delete parts for less than $150 yesterday.

I alos pulled out the shifter and cut the post down 7/8" which much improves the angle of the arm (tall guys=long arms) and shortens the throw. That cost nothing. BTW, I'm 6'#" and 208 lbs.

Bob

• 1 month later...
I found that it took around 10 min to temporarily remove the vertical section of the console and set it aside to feel out what the GT3 delete mod would be like. I couldn't get the smile off my face. It was Wonderful!!!!!!! So I ordered the GT3 delete parts for less than $150 yesterday.

I alos pulled out the shifter and cut the post down 7/8" which much improves the angle of the arm (tall guys=long arms) and shortens the throw. That cost nothing. BTW, I'm 6'#" and 208 lbs.

Bob

6 weeks later....... Installed the GT3 console delete package and chopped 7/8" off the shifter and could not be happier about it. Made the car really comfortable. To lean the seatback a little, I have to slide the power seat forward a bit..... and ever then it's comfortable.

Money/time well spent and looks great.

Bob

post-20545-1188584058_thumb.jpg