Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thinking about picking up a 996 C4 Cab, questions

First and foremost, its used, so what should I look for?

Second, are there any major problems or even minor ones that occur in a lot of '02 C4s? The RMS (I think that's what it's called) and the clutch got replaced just 5,000 miles ago on the car.

Third, how's your insurance? My only concern with buying a Porsche is the insurance costs, while I haven't yet looked much and I hate to assume... But my guess is that this car will cost more in insurance than my Evo, which already costs an arm and a leg... While I know I need to just ask my insurance agent to know for sure, I have an idea on Evo insurance costs so if I can get a general idea on these it'd be great.

And just because this emote is awesome: :renntech:

it should actually be cheaper than an EVO, I am 27 single no tickets or accidents and pay for full coverage 142 a month.. my brother (25 single) pays for an S2000 240 a month.. sometimes the cheaper performance cars are more expensive than high end cars..

First and foremost, its used, so what should I look for?

Second, are there any major problems or even minor ones that occur in a lot of '02 C4s? The RMS (I think that's what it's called) and the clutch got replaced just 5,000 miles ago on the car.

Third, how's your insurance? My only concern with buying a Porsche is the insurance costs, while I haven't yet looked much and I hate to assume... But my guess is that this car will cost more in insurance than my Evo, which already costs an arm and a leg... While I know I need to just ask my insurance agent to know for sure, I have an idea on Evo insurance costs so if I can get a general idea on these it'd be great.

And just because this emote is awesome: :renntech:

If you do a quick search here and on rennlist.com this has been discussed a bunch. But here are the highlights:

1) Get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). If you use a Porsche dealer they can run the VIN and tell you what factory options the car came with, where it was purchased, and the warranty/TSB repair history.

2) Get a CarFax

3) Look for signs of crash repair e.g. overspray around the interior of the trunk, engine bay, door latches, alignment problems etc.

4) Check for flood/water damage e.g. wire harnesses under the seats, seat rail rust

5) Check for all the manuals, tools, air compressor, spare, hard top. IIRC there should be a car manual, radio manual, service log book, tool bag, jack, air compressor, inflatable spare, headlight tool, hard top tool, security lug tool.

You're going to love it. I drive mine all year round in the torrential rain and through the snow.

If you do a quick search here and on rennlist.com this has been discussed a bunch. But here are the highlights:

1) Get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). If you use a Porsche dealer they can run the VIN and tell you what factory options the car came with, where it was purchased, and the warranty/TSB repair history.

2) Get a CarFax

3) Look for signs of crash repair e.g. overspray around the interior of the trunk, engine bay, door latches, alignment problems etc.

4) Check for flood/water damage e.g. wire harnesses under the seats, seat rail rust

5) Check for all the manuals, tools, air compressor, spare, hard top. IIRC there should be a car manual, radio manual, service log book, tool bag, jack, air compressor, inflatable spare, headlight tool, hard top tool, security lug tool.

You're going to love it. I drive mine all year round in the torrential rain and through the snow.

Thanks guys... Seen the carfax for it (the owner has one, and yes, just to be sure I matched the vins and made sure the date was recent) and it shows totally clean. It has been dented or in some sort of accident because it has been repainted in one spot. The owner said he had it appraised and they said it had frame damage though two different Porsche places here say that it is totally fine other than the paint job. (As a side note... they tried to tell me one place that my Evo had frame damage though it simply had a dent in the sub-frame... stupid dealers and their low-ball trade-in scams).

I'm excited, it already has nav/bluetooth/ipod/dvd built in the dash and comes with a matching hard top... Plus if I get the Porsche instead of the Acura TL-S I'll still be able to track it once in awhile and not feel like an idiot.

2) Get a CarFax

Thanks guys... Seen the carfax for it (the owner has one, and yes, just to be sure I matched the vins and made sure the date was recent) and it shows totally clean. It has been dented or in some sort of accident because it has been repainted in one spot. The owner said he had it appraised and they said it had frame damage though two different Porsche places here say that it is totally fine other than the paint job. (As a side note... they tried to tell me one place that my Evo had frame damage though it simply had a dent in the sub-frame... stupid dealers and their low-ball trade-in scams).

I'm excited, it already has nav/bluetooth/ipod/dvd built in the dash and comes with a matching hard top... Plus if I get the Porsche instead of the Acura TL-S I'll still be able to track it once in awhile and not feel like an idiot.

Sent you a PM. I have an '02 C4 cab for sale in SoCAL

Its like 20 bucks more a month than the Evo (Far worth it, for sure, just cancel my never used stupid World of Warcraft account and that pays for it). I test drove it and looked at it on Friday and it is gorgeous and certainly fun to drive but the kid that was supposed to be buying my car on Saturday backed out because he couldn't arrange the financing or something stupid... My only complaints about the car: A) The shifter is too freaking smooth, haha, I can't tell when I'm in gear and when I"m not, but that's just me being used to rough sports cars and B) His 6 year old son had just helped him shine the tires, and applied a little too much to some parts of the tread, so the car had a hard time stopping (but again, from driving so many cars on track I could tell it wanted to stop, it just didn't quite have the traction, a very odd feeling in the rear-engine C4).

And DaveMo, I PM'd you back, if you want to sell it to me for sub 40k, then we can talk ;) Otherwise, I'd like to try to stay local.