Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What makes this forum worth while?

I had spent a number of hours installing the new RSS plenum, and had disconnected the battery to ensure I didn't inadvertantly arc something out. The install took me a while, but being a new DIY guy, it wasnt' that difficult. I had to go to my daughter's graduation in San Francisco the next day, so I was eager to try it out on the trip. I did a quick down the street run and the plenum seemed to work flawlessly.

The next day everything went great until I got onto the freeway and settled down to cruising speed, then went to turn on the radio. What's this? It's asking me for a code. A code?? WHAT CODE??? Plus the dogone windows wouldn't go up/down using the one-touch control. Here I am just starting a three day 350 mile trip and I'm going to be doing it with no dogone music and windows that don't work right.

I managed to pull off the side of the freeway and get a 911 call into Loren...and he took about 10 seconds to ponder the radio question then prompted me thru a series of naneuvers with the TP and other button functions....had me read him back the text outputs that were showing from the radio....and said..."wait a minute, let me look in my file here". He then said....."Try these four numbers and enter them into the radio codes". BAM....on came the radio and everything worked great. Then I whined and mewed about the windows...and he said..."OH, yeah, when you disconnected the battery, you have to retrain the windows...and here's how". Twenty seconds later, the windows were working.

Now some of you may think....no big deal....but mind you, this is on the way to San Francisco, pulled over off the side of the freeway, doing an on-the-fly fix over a cellphone. I would have been miserable over a three day trip with no music to occupy the time stuck in stop/go traffic or thru the 350 mile drive. How much hassle do you think it would have involved to have to make an appointment with the Porsche dealership....40 miles from my house....take the car there, have them do the same thing...and possibly charge me for the service....then drive 40 miles back home after spending three days without my radio or CD? PLUS....do you have any idea of the sheer pleasure of a spirited drive back through the challenging mountain roads with the CD blaring Wagner?

Bottom line guys....although this event wasn't necessarily rocket science for some of you....it's things like this that make this forum is worth while....and that's why I'm a paid contributor.

Oh yeah....thanks Loren.

I'll second that. I had a similar problem on Sunday morning, had a flat battery on Saturday and had a 300km. drive planned with the club on Sunday. Fortunately I was at home and could search the forum for the info. 10 minutes and I was on my way. :thumbup: