Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bought my 99 996 cab a year ago with 32k and have it up to 42k...replacing the coolant tank this weekend. Under heavy acceleration I can feel my clutch starting to shudder...dealer quoted me $1800 to replace. Other than that, the engine seems strong but I don't have much experience in them other than the wonderful 10k I have put on mine.

e

I got my clutch redone for $800 at an indy shop here in Houston. I'd shop around if I were you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'99 996 C2 cabrio tiptronic

A daily driver with 180.000 kilometers on the clock.

Never had any complaint and the engine is as it came from the factory.

14 days ago she enjoyed a healthy tour around the Nordschleife.

My previous 993 C2 reached 260.000 km under my ownership and is aiming towards the magical 300.000.

My wife has a '91 944 S2 cabrio and it's running smooth at 150.000 km.

I love these cars !

greetings to all renntech enthusiasts.

keep up the good work and enjoy your cars.

Edited by icebear

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New to P club.

got myself a 99 C2 996.

Has 129000 Km on the clock. But seems in remarkable condition cosmetically.

Surparised how nice he interior is. No rattling (thank God).

Found couple of issues on the PPI which helped negotiate buying price.

And got those fixed. O2 senors X2 + MAF sensor replacement. Cost me 2500 $ to do so at a whop with top porsche mechanics. However their rate is only sligthly cheaper than the dealer (110 $ vs 125$ per hour of labor).

hope to use it as a daily drive. rain or shine, snow or no snow.....

will let you guys know.

Would like the guys who posted a year ago to come back and let us know their millage/issues.

Keep these things rollin'

• 3 weeks later...

I went to hell and back with my '99 C2 996.

Three months after purchasing (w/ no warranty), my engine died at 100k miles :angry: . Acquired a rebuilt engine for ~$8k. In the next two weeks, a major leak developed in my overflow coolant tank, so that was replaced (along with hoses). A month later, I had to be towed yet again due to a broken shift linkage. I spent the next couple weeks sorting out CEL problems (due to MAF, and then a deteriorated gas tank seal).... Good lord it was a pain for awhile.

At 112k miles now, and I haven't had a problem in 8 months (daily driver), and hope to have plenty of engine life... I absolutely love my car even though I had to traverse through hell.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 1999 996 C2 Cab 6-speed. It's got around 54,000 miles on it. I bought it at 47,000 a little over a year ago. Has the oriignal engine. Had to repalce the water pump becasuse of a pin-hole leak and the mass air flow sensor on oen of the cylinders. Other than that, OK. I have one question, though. I bought it from a dealer and he told me that the cars burn oil as a matter of course. Is that true? I don't seem to have a leak, but I can smell oil burn with the top down and I do have to add some periodically, but not terribly often.

WOW! I am shocked this thread is still going. It's really great to see all the survivors. I ended up doing some searching to learn what I could about the engines after the RMS issue sparked my interest. I was shocked to see all the catastrophic failures. To add myself to the role call I just turned 80kmls on my 99C2 GT3 Clone. To answer the question about me playing the viola, no I do not play. The name was a typo that I never bothered to fix. My car is a Violet Chromaflair But the name in the paper work voilametallic. So I put the voila and GT3 together and it became VoilaGT3. I liked the fact that "Voila" was a term for surprise, and the irony that my car has the full GT3 kit on it, so surprise my C2 is a GT3! I have been out of the country off and on for the past year and that is why I had not responded. Thank you all for your entries it is really great to hear how others are doing with their cars, it is also a great resource to help troubleshoot things like, "is my car the only one that the roof rattles when the sunroof is open?" or "is it normal for the AC compressor to go out at 65kmls?". I suffered these issues with mine as well as the tensioner bearing fell off the engine on the way to my parents on christmas, in the middle of nowhere, at 1AM. That was not fun, I ended up being stranded as it was the holidays and of course the local dealership told me 2 weeks. I called Sunset Imports and they had the part there in 2 days. :clapping: I am getting ready to have alot of work done that it has needed for a little while, RMS, 2nd gear pop out, clutch, and replace the AC drier that Aristocrat Motors in Kansas City neglected to replace at the time they put in the new compressor! The guy actually told me that I told him not to do it?? I said why, so I can pay you guys for another 3 hours work time to do it later?? I should have known their service guy told me it would be $300+ for a new key and $100 to program it?? I asked him if he could see the Rennlist and PCA stickers on my car? Then I called Sunset. I love those guys.

I LOVE MY PORSCHE!

65,300 and still kicking......well sort of. Just did a 4,700 mile round trip to Spain/France again.... I think that;s my 5th! Absolutely no problems at all. But yesterday after getting home and 1st day back at work I drove 6 miles, drove over a 10" coach bolt which promptly entered and exited my tyre but not before shattering my wheel caliper and then exiting out through the bodywork of mt rear arch!!!

Insurance job.

Otherwise, the car is still like mint. No leaks now on my 8th RMS albeit the 8th is a Motorsport seal fitted in reverese. Fingers always crossed.

That sucks! I hope the got it all fixed.

I went to hell and back with my '99 C2 996.

Three months after purchasing (w/ no warranty), my engine died at 100k miles :angry: . Acquired a rebuilt engine for ~$8k. In the next two weeks, a major leak developed in my overflow coolant tank, so that was replaced (along with hoses). A month later, I had to be towed yet again due to a broken shift linkage. I spent the next couple weeks sorting out CEL problems (due to MAF, and then a deteriorated gas tank seal).... Good lord it was a pain for awhile.

At 112k miles now, and I haven't had a problem in 8 months (daily driver), and hope to have plenty of engine life... I absolutely love my car even though I had to traverse through hell.

This is what I was finding time and time again while looking for RMS issues and it had me thinking do I want to put money into the engine with replacing all these items or just do a 3.8 swap? I am glad you made it through rough waters hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on out.

I have a 1999 996 C2 Cab 6-speed. It's got around 54,000 miles on it. I bought it at 47,000 a little over a year ago. Has the oriignal engine. Had to repalce the water pump becasuse of a pin-hole leak and the mass air flow sensor on oen of the cylinders. Other than that, OK. I have one question, though. I bought it from a dealer and he told me that the cars burn oil as a matter of course. Is that true? I don't seem to have a leak, but I can smell oil burn with the top down and I do have to add some periodically, but not terribly often.

Hmm You know I found myself chasing an odor like burning oil or something. But I have come to believe it is actually the clutch. My car has had the suspension tuned by Champion Moto. and it sits tucked on 295-30-19's. It is a little more difficult to start my car rolling then other porsches that I have driven. I just think that the amount of torque necessary to keep it going and the fact that I get on it sometimes overwork the clutch a little. = ) Besides I have never had any oil loss, ever. I guess I'll find out when I hopefully get the clutch changed. I've been planning it for over a year now!?! Best of luck with your smell I hope it's nothing bad.

Hmm You know I found myself chasing an odor like burning oil or something. But I have come to believe it is actually the clutch. My car has had the suspension tuned by Champion Moto. and it sits tucked on 295-30-19's. It is a little more difficult to start my car rolling then other porsches that I have driven. I just think that the amount of torque necessary to keep it going and the fact that I get on it sometimes overwork the clutch a little. = ) Besides I have never had any oil loss, ever. I guess I'll find out when I hopefully get the clutch changed. I've been planning it for over a year now!?! Best of luck with your smell I hope it's nothing bad.

I'm not that worried about it. They told me it was normal when I bought it from the dealer and it says in the manual it's supposed to burn oil. It really isn't that much. I knew a guy who had an new M5 and he had the same problem and they told him the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the results are in and the engine is said to be perfectly fine! :D The tranny however is going to be replaced. Imagine Auto gave the car a test run and said that it should go as even if repair was attempted it would come too close to the cost of a replacement with a warranty. Oh yea they agreed that the clutch is gone. :rolleyes: Not bad I believe it is the original at 80k miles. So they are going are going to fix the RMS and some odds and ends and hopefully get my clutch pedal to lighten up a little. Then maybe I'll actually clean her up a bit and I can go out in public again with her. Oh and maybe the water pump as a PM I think I am starting to hear the ghosts. I can't wait for spring!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an 06 Z4. It is really small and cramped inside. Hard to get into and out of. On the road it seems front end bouncy. It was okay, but it is not a Porsche, just love my 04 C4S Cab. The Z4 is not nearly the same car as a Carrera. But you get what you pay for! You will always find someone in the media putting down Porsches going only on Specs. Take for instance the new Hyundai Genesis commericals saying that it will beat a Boxster. (Not a Boxster S) And since when is a Porsche considered a drag racer, Ill take a Porsche in the curves and turns anyday!

'03 C4S turned 87,000 miles yesterday. RMS repaired twice and a couple external pulleys replaced (bearings) along with an alternator. I have extended warranty for another year. Daily driver: 52 miles round trip. WOT once a day, also.