Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Admin

I currently have 205K on my 99/996. Just got rear ended a few weeks back.....picking the car up tomorrow 9/30/2011 at the dealer hopefully, all is well and she's still purring like she did before the accident. Only problem, needed new bumpers, and a new AC Compressor and a few minor parts replacements. Can't wait to test drive .....Updates to follow.

:clapping:

My 2000 C2 just went past 100,000 miles a couple of weeks ago. It has the origional engine and I have just following the regular maintenance schedules on her and have had no problems. Does not use any oil and still runs strong. I do change the oil every 5,000 miles for peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

2001 C2 Tiptronic Cab. 87,000 No major issues. Replaced water pump at 65,000. Replaced coolant expansion tank at 85,000 (both done by me with excellent DIY tips from this site!) Third owner, both previous owners had regular maintenance at the same shop in Plano, TX. Oil changes every 7500 miles by me. Purrs like a wild kitten, ready to run. Love telling my friends that she is 10 years old while standing outside the car and starting her. They shake their heads in amazement.

My '99 996 C2 has 119k on it and runs GREAT. I need new motor mounts and control arms, hopeful not struts yet. I was at the garage today and under the car while it was on the lift, no leaks, nothing that would even make you think there ever was a leak. Even the mechanic said it looked good. Pretty impressive for a car with this mileage and driven like it should be. So the motor and trans. (tip) are strong as ever but the rubber parts of the suspension are getting dry so it's time to start replacing them. (please see my other post of today)

97K here too. 2000 996. Just need to replace spark plug tubes as they are slightly leaking. Not sure if the IMS was ever installed so I will have to get that done with a new clutch in Spring. Nothing major to note but the recirculation motor has gone bad. I do not feel like spending $400+ just for the part so I have some digging to do and I hear it's a PITA to replace.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

99 C2 6 speed (non e-gas) with 96,xxx miles on her. Just replaced the chain tensioners (PITA) :cursing: Need to do clutch soon and will upgrade to LN IMS and replace RMS. Do have small oil leak coming from VarioCam solenoid (bank 2). Other than that, car runs great. Hope to put 50k miles on her before I have to do any more work.

BTW, just checked oil filter yesterday...clean as a whistle, no debris :clapping:

Edited by RSrocket

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a 1999MY C2 manual coupé a couple of months back. Full service history which shows the engine replaced by Porsche at 20k then a 'Silsleeve' engine from Autofarm (http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf) put in at 87k! Three engines!

So, we're on 105k / 18k, depending how you view it :-)

Edited by le bouch

• 3 weeks later...

black '98 Carrera 2 with sport pack options

beat that : )

- immaculate, no major engine issues or dramas. Currently working through a comprehensive "review and renew" programme (will be having an engine rebuild sometime in the next year, including 'rerounding' the bores and introducing 'closed deck' reinforcing rings at the top of the cylinders) to hopefully keep it good for the next 176k....!

• 1 month later...

My 01 996 C2 convertible just clicked over 110K and purring smooth as a kitten. Only major things replaced are the oil separator, O2 sensors, Mass Air Flow, and a fuel pump. Still strong, and was up to an indicated 178MPH the other day :-) Note for other older 996's... I knelt on the seat while reaching over to grab something on the passenger side floor, and the seat ripped at all the sewing folds on the seat...Not a good thing, but I can't feel it on my but LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

MY 01

996 C2 tiptronic

Just turned 100,000 miles.

The only 2 "major" repairs I've had are, replaced water pump at about 63,000, replaced coolant overflow tank at 90,000, both DIY thanks to Renntech!

DIY oil changes at 7500 mile intervals.

I love this car. Daily driver and runs like a well engineered high performance sports car should.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my car is at 101k now and still purring LOL, I bought the car in April at 86k. In another 1000 miles going to do an oil change. Talking about oil change I do have a question, my mechanic uses oil imported from Germany that is specifically made for Porsche. So instead of using Mobile 1 and paying $130.00 dollars, I use this German imported oil (forgot the name but saw the bottle) and pay $185.00 dollars now. Is this really worth me paying an extra $50.00 dollars for some oil I never heard about or is Mobile 1 just as good. The only difference I saw so far is this oil last longer like 2x as long as Mobile 1.

If you browse through the TSB section, you can see the latest list of oils approved by Porsche for the 996. Mobil 1 isn't the only approved oil.

FWIW, I use an oil that isn't on the approved list. I use Shaeffer Supreme 9000 05W40. There is lots of debate about oils...