Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 C4 Cab: 101010 today!  Recently did the clutch (2nd time swapped) and put in an LNE IMS.  The old one looked perfect when it came out, but I sleep better knowing that the motor's not eating itself.

Doesn't use a drop of oil.  But I think I'm getting close to needing a new starter.  She doesn't like to crank when she's hot.

My daily driver, and it still runs the way it did a decade ago.

• 3 weeks later...

1999 C4 Coupe Tip-s... 103k Ran very well...  Until last week on a road trip to Northern Wisconsin. On return to Chicago began to get a rattle in low end of 3rd, and 4th, then Bam!!! At abt 85 mph dropped to 4th and thats all I had. Lost 2,3, 5, R, N.. 

Luckily Uhaul was close and had an auto transport to tow it to my mechanic in Wayzata, MN. 

This is a daily driver, summer and winter. I am afraid it will be bad news $$$...

My 2004 C4S  Cab just turned 75k -- not "high mileage" anymore in this forum, but thought I would ask about what PM should be done at this stage.  I'm planning on getting the IMS done, and putting in a new clutch while I'm at it (it doesn't need one, but since the engine will be out anyway ...)

Any suggestions on what else to have done for this milestone?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have 92k on my triple black 99 996 Cab. I bought it with @ 86k on the odometer. I've replaced both Pre-Cat O2 sensors 2 ignition coils, 6 spark plugs, brake booster line, air intake tube, resonance valve (new parts), Fuel filler vent valve, Charcoal canister and operating purge valve(salvaged parts). This was in response to a CEL that indicated an emissions issue. I'm about to replace the air change over valve, air injection check valve, electric change over valve and vacuum canister for peace of mind. The car still exhibits strong acceleration and great handling. I hope to own it for another 90K. I'm feelin alright :)

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2004 cs4. Listed as 'complete new engine rebuild' with new clutch and fly wheel. I've driven 100 miles plus so far. Have noticed 0 issues. Had the PPI done at Porsche dealer, they found nothing aside from minor cosmetic (expected). Bought an extended warranty. I'm hoping everything turns out for the best.

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

1998 C2, tiptronic. Bought it in amazing condition at 92k, oil change at 94k revealed metal in the filter. Drove a few hundred miles after this as engine sounded sweet as. Then found a really good indie who advised me to stop driving and get it trailered to him. He stripped the engine down and found the IMS literally hanging on, to this day he cant believe I got away with it. Anyway new shells and one or two other bits followed and I now have a lovely car and engine with about 4K on it. A daily driver, other things that have gone in my ownership are the water pump and now the indicator won't turn itself off, it is old though so I should expect things like this now and then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

2004 C4S Cab 6 speed that just turned 110,000.  Is running great with good mileage, and no oil consumption.  Bought it 3 years ago with 80,000 on it.  Recently had Clutch, IMS, and water pump replaced.  Best driving car yet is great on long trips!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Driver Side View.jpg

2003 C4S 117,500 miles. Manual and completely stock except window tinting.  Replaced clutch at 97,000. No fluid leaks.  Original IMS. Daily driver purchased 5 years ago with 48,500 miles. Lived in Wisconsin for 3 of the 5 years and drove throughout the winter (rain, sleet and snow).  Still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

122,000 1999 C4. I'm original owner. Getting Jake Raby Stage 2 reconstruction after some issues last week with P1341 and some soul searching. I'm keeping car forever so it's seemed like the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Just bought a 1999 Carrera with 131,000 miles.
Found out the transmission had never been unbolted from engine. Had a local shop do the following, all in one service:

IMS, RMS, AOS, Clutch (yes it was original), oil change, add spin on oil filter, new coolant, spark plugs... 

I have also fixed door lock, pulled river's seat to find short that was blowing fuses, fixed key-fobs, and bought new tires...

Car now has 133,300 miles and makes me smile daily 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

182k miles on '03 before the IMS failed late last fall.

It was not the IMS that failed but the installation was incorrectly completed. 

So really ask around if the shop/mechanic has the experience and certification he claims to have.....

Edited by tac27

• 1 month later...