Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello! 150,000KM, that is about 93K UK miles. 1st clutch, but to be honest, the engine is pretty OK, but the gearbox whines,and the cv-joints are outworn.

No particular oil-leaks,and as the car has been driven hard, with average speeds of about 150KM/H during the 430 km journeys it has done twice a week,

a pretty good result.Front has been repainted twice during this time,Frontscreen also exchanged 2 times. dampers, and springs once,but it is time again.

Although there is still some life in the old lady, I am thinking of changing the engine -gearbox for a 3,6, ore renovate the engine at Autofarm in England,and

then take the oppurtunity to enlarge the capacity to 3,7 l.It seems that a hard driven 3,4 will have lesser problems with the engine than others? At least

there are a lot of used 996 here in Sweden that have done more than 100.000 KM, the larger part in Germany,which have had no problems with the engine.

Lena: I'm always so pleased to read/see/hear of folks whose Porsches are into high mileage....because there are just too many discussion threads about this going wrong, or that breaking, or something exploding. I bought a Dodge diesel and it just goes, and goes, and goes....like the battery bunny....but it seems that Porsches....which are supposed to be the ultimate marvel in engineering....are prone to all sorts of catastrophic anomalies.

So....back to my original thought....I'm pleased as punch when I see all the comments about high mileage....although I don't consider 50-60K miles to really be high mileage. I'm looking more for the examples in excess of 100K and still going strong on the ORIGINAL engine. Yours falls into that category...congratulations.

Chuck

1999 c2 cab- 94,000 miles- but more than 12,000 of them in the last 2 months !!

Several trips up and down the east coast (1200 miles each way !!) without a hiccup.

My good friend bought the car w/ 55k miles on it and had to replace the RMS shortly thereafter (at an indie) and he also had to sink a good deal of $$ into the top. Other than those issues the car has been great. Sat in 100 degree weather yesterday on 285 for 30 minutes with the ac cold and the temp stayed right where it should have. The car doesn't leak a drop, nor burn a drop of oil. The last oil change (just a few weeks ago) the dealer said everything under the car looked good, no seepage from the rms or anything.

I do plan to change the tip fluid and have a coolant flush done in the near future.

Both my friend and I drive more spirited than most ;)

I think the trick is to drive these cars-- and drive them hard.

• 2 weeks later...

2000 C2 Coupe, 6 speed - original owner, 106,000 smiles. 3rd RMS counting original. Replaced Transmission at about 90,000 miles (not smiling at that moment). Burning about 1Qt oil every 2000 miles or so. I drive it everyday. Some days I drive it with no where to go. I am really hoping for at least 200,000. Can anyone comment on whether oil consumption is coincident with the reported engine failures?

• Upvote 1

2002 carrera 2 with 87,000 miles. I just purchased the car less than a month ago, I will use it as a daily driver & have already put 1,000 miles on it. The engine was just dynoed, it is bone stock and makes 341 net horsepower. I was told this is exactly where it should be. Doesnt burn or leak a drop of oil. Also I was told that there is no RMS issue with this motor. Im looking for 200,000 miles out of the 3.6. Any high mileage 3.6s around, like over 100,000? I guess that would mean someone would have had to average 20,000 miles per year. I dont know about you guys, but I cant stop driving this car. I guess the first owner felt the same way!!

I still have the original with just under 50000 miles problem where 1RMS, 1MAF. Drive on Autobahn 2-3 times a week.

Man I have to say I am pleased to see these results! I know I am definately getting close to replacing the clutch/RMS/any other anomaly they should run into.

So it is nice to thik that I might be ablr to hang on to the 3.4l, But I am keeping in mind that the only thing mechanical components are gaurenteed to do is break. Keep'em rollin' :renntech:

Bought my 99 996 cab a year ago with 32k and have it up to 42k...replacing the coolant tank this weekend. Under heavy acceleration I can feel my clutch starting to shudder...dealer quoted me $1800 to replace. Other than that, the engine seems strong but I don't have much experience in them other than the wonderful 10k I have put on mine.

e

99-996

Do you have a reputable Porsche mechanic in your area? The dealer is going to charge you $200 to 300 more than a private shop. I have a mechanic that was a Porsche master mechanic with Beverly Hills Porsche for 15 years and now has his own shop. He qouted me $1500 to $1600 for a clutch. I usually pay him cash so I don't pay tax. Might be worth yur while to try to get some referrals of good Porsche mechanics in your area so you don't get reamed by the dealer. The Porsche Dealer my area really is awful and treats you like crap. :angry: Just a thought.

Enjoy your toy!

Phillipj

Edited by phillipj

• 2 weeks later...

'99 C4, 57,004 miles as of today, on what I presume is the original engine and clutch. (I purchased at 28k miles w/limited history available.) Because of my car's extremely nice interior condition, and the way the clutch and gear lever feel compared to other 996s I've seen, I have reason to believe my car was never (or very rarely) driven hard. Nor do I drive the car very hard myself. It seems like one of those cream-puff classic garage queens vs. a 22-year-old's Mustang Cobra.

I currently have a CEL code indicating a cam timing sensor. Dealer runs a test and they can reproduce the problem in the shop - cam adjuster sticking on bank 2. I'm going to have this confirmed by an expert non-dealer Porsche mechanic who is also a very successful club racer, like going to another doctor for a 2nd opinion, before dropping $850 on parts and 11 hours labor at the dealer. Phone conversation w/2nd opinion said 'yeah, that tends to happen on some of those engines...' Involves dropping engine, removing cylinder head, and rebuilding mechanism w/new parts.

2 points to make on this engine failure issue:

1) I drive my car every day, even in the winter. The weather here varies year-round between -20F to +100F. I use 0W-40 Mobil 1 every 10k miles, dealer service at factory recommended intervals otherwise. Nothing special. I don't have a RMS leak, and I don't have any other issues with the car. Many people have issues with their cars that...I can't help wondering if letting the car sit has something to do with it. My car has thrived with constant daily activity. My car is only one data point, but there it is.

2) Why spend $10k at the dealer for another 3.4, when you can get a 3.6 or 3.8, and built to run fast, from Motor Meister for less money? At least that's what I would do! :)

dphil66, with a factory reman'd unit you get a two year unlimited mileage warranty, something I doubt that Motor Meister would do. Also, the cost of the engine (3.4) is about 7800 from Sunset Porsche (As I've pointed out in my post about Brandywine, do NOT trust Brandywine). I'd love to have done a 3.6 conversion but the cost gets significantly higher and more complicated as there were several electrical changes from the 3.4 to the 3.6.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I'm always so pleased to read/hear about these cars going strong with high mileage under their belts. It's so disconcerting to keep hearing about the downsides....One must consider that there are however many thousand 996's with the the 3.4Litre engines out there and the majority are still running strong. Sure there are issues, but the majority are still breathing strong. My hearty congratulations to all you 100 +K car owners out there. Great to hear it, and look forward to future reports of high mileage and going strong.

• 10 months later...

I have a 99 C2 Cab w/6 speed. I bought it in September 2007 at 83k miles with a brand new clutch. I'm now at 94k.

The motor and transmission and suspension seem to be really solid, but my electronics and plastic parts all seem to be dying. I guess they are about 10 years old now.

Had to replace the MAF and EGR valves (or whatever they're called in Porsche lingo). I also had the oil filler tube develop cracks, which allowed the car to suck in air causing a lean mixture, high idle and a CEL. Now I'm getting an intermittent Brake Wear light even though there seems to be plenty of pad.

I'm about to lose a couple of my coolant hoses, so I've ordered those to hopefully head off any disasters in that area.

My 1966 Mustang had 340,000 miles on it when I sold it (although the engine and transmission had been rebuilt at least once). We'll see if I can get the same life out of this 996.

1999 C4. bought last summer at 83k and now have 95k on it. Car runs great. had a few minor issues like water pump failure, air changeover valve and starter replacement. Other than that it drives very strong and just hoping all is kosher on the exploding engine front! lol. I bought it with the higher miles because it seemed most of the major engine issues occured from 25-75k miles. Of course my fingers are crossed, but no leaks and running strong.

bmohr

bought at 101k miles, 109k miles now , lotsa little things replaced, like oil air separator, hydrolic clutch slave, clutch, motor mount, rear convertable window, convertible hydrolic pump, convertible hydrolic cylinder.

as far as i know it is the original engine, and the engine runs strong....

How many miles do you have on your original 3.4 liter engine?

130,000 miles on a 1999 C2 Cab. I've got to say I bought it at 109,000 and had a mechanic look over it who said he was amazed how good the engine and body was. To my knowledge it is the original engine. Since then, I have replaced the coil packs and recently the radiators as one had coroded. Other than that, it has been trouble free. Took it upto 175mph the other day and she just purrs B)

• 2 weeks later...

99 C4, with 78K mi. Daily drive.

replaced water pump at about 41K. RMS leak for the last 20K miles (but I'm waiting for the clutch to need replacement to fix that.)

Recently, a sticking caliper on front break, wore one pad badly. Flushed breaks. We'll see if that cures it.

My 99 996 C2 has 120,675 on it and was purchased at 55k. I've installed a k&n cold air intake,headers, and IPD plenum without a single major issue. This car was a better investment than my wife's wedding ring. :D

65,300 and still kicking......well sort of. Just did a 4,700 mile round trip to Spain/France again.... I think that;s my 5th! Absolutely no problems at all. But yesterday after getting home and 1st day back at work I drove 6 miles, drove over a 10" coach bolt which promptly entered and exited my tyre but not before shattering my wheel caliper and then exiting out through the bodywork of mt rear arch!!!

Insurance job.

Otherwise, the car is still like mint. No leaks now on my 8th RMS albeit the 8th is a Motorsport seal fitted in reverese. Fingers always crossed.

1999 c2 cabriolet, only 45k miles. Needed the cam cover 'gaskets'/sealant reinstalled at about 37k, last year, car was 7 years old at the time. I had just had the annual maintenance performed, then less then five days later the engine was puking oil out the cam covers (the extra oil pressure from new Mobil1 might have contributed to exposing that weakness).

No RMS problems. Had to have the A/C recharged last year. Dealer suggested that I replace the evaporator to stop the leak (which from the dealer is a complete box with the fan and many hours labor), but 14 months later the A/C still runs strong.

I did the AC this year, sounds like you are doing good.

Completely unrelated question, ViolaGT3?..., do you play viola?