Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just bought my first 996 (1998 Carrera 4 cab).... Owned prev by a friend and well cared for. Showing 96,689 miles so will be crossing 100,000 this year, engine original which still runs sweetly. Spend the last night or two going over the history and it appears the worst set of bills so far was for a jammed roof rebuild @ £2800 in 2008, strangely that is the only thing which has a problem..... Occasionally the operation is hesitant.

Hey ho, it's still one he'll of a car which has been on my dream list for years....... Here's to 2011

Shaun

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 2001 996 Carrera in 1996; it had 41,000 one owner miles. It was and is a daily driver. I just went over 101,000 this week and it still looks like new. I have replaced the shifter cables, the alternator, ignition switch, coolant tank, brakes and tires, and disabled the spoiler (there is a story there). There are no leaks. I have to add a little oil (a quart or two bit by bit) between changes. I had a 1985 Carrera Targa before the 996 so I know all of the rigors required to keep an air cooled Porsche in running order. I like the new philosophy of getting it right from the begining and don't open it up to tinker with it.

I would like to to add that the flywheel and clutch were also replaced. After thinking about it for while, I realized that I don't think I was totally at fault when I down shifted from 6th to 3rd at 55mph. After all 55mph is not very fast. I've had it up to 100mph in third at the track. The reason is that the flywheel was sunk in and there was to much play in dual mass and the springs were worn (too much play), so says my Porsche mechanic. As a result the flywheel couldn't do it's job which is to absorb shocks.

All in all this is a great car to own. The performance and quality doesn't disappoint. They are a treat to drive. Looking forward to another track day this summer.

Have 70k miles (116k km) on my 99 996. This is an early model as it was built in February 1998. Bought the car last year.

This summer I tried going from 6th to 3rd doing about 55mph to pass some cars. I never do this but wanted to try it, big mistake! I think this caused a broken valve because 3 miles later the engine lost power. It was a broken valve. The engine was rebuilt by a Porsche dealer. It was found that the RMS and IMS were fine but I upgraded them just in case, the oil separator was beginning to fail and there was a lot of carbon buildup. The engine runs like new now. So I should be good for another 100k.

See my blog on 'engine failure'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

New to this forum, former 968 driver. Just bought '99 C4 6-speed from highly respected indie in upstate NY. 69K miles with brand new clutch, RMS, IMS bearing. Everything works great and am hoping for many, many miles of road and DE driving.

Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Just part exchanged my 1999 996 cabriolet after 3 years with 99600 miles. Had a clutch and RMS at approx 85k. ( warrenty works paid for half) Car has performed brilliantly apart from the inevitable replacement of worn out parts, No oil top up between services. Oil pressure 1.5 bar at tickover.

During my time the following was carried out :-

Renewed variaocam solenoid ( Warrenty works covered cost) at approx 87k

Replacement rear shocks absorbers and lower suspension arms ( 95k)

New Discs all round at approx 92k miles

two radiators,

Warm up idle valve ( courtesy of AA warrenty)

Air con pipe

Just picked up a Black carrera 4S with only 34k with the sports exhaust option. Sounds fantastic, drives the same. Looking to change the CDR23 stereo unit to either a Becker Cascade or a Sony Double Din with the the Tom Tom sat nav software.

Personally i woudn't be to worried about the milage as long as the car has a full service history , i believe the are tested to 250k miles by Porsche.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Third owner. 1st, 10 yrs and kept up maintenance. 2nd owner, nice guy who just putted around. No tracking. I got it with 70K.

Good service records with first owner.Second owner just talked alot. Anyway, the car now has 75K and a complete 60k service done.

No mods. Same 17" rims which will soon be 11" rear and 8" fronts thank to Eric Vaughn. 225's and 285's.

Stuff wears out after 10-12 years but stay on top of it and drive it with gusto.

Ok so just crossed 100,000 took a little less time than I thought but the car is my daily driver

996 3.4 carrera 4 cab 1998..... A real early example with a made for exhibition code under the bonnet

It's a great car, uses no oil engine has almost full oil pressure at 65 mph and purrs

Ownership hasn't been cheap, but I think the bills were to be expected at the change from 99999.... New coil packs (one failed) a full service to include the diff/gearbox oils together with a refix on the exhaust. The last two bills I'm expecting are for a couple of rear tyres which are currently running 4mm each.

I can't tell ya (let's face it you all know what I mean) how much I enjoy that silly grin when I use the car and that's worth the costs. For what it's worth I ran an mr2 convertible for 3 years and the costs were much the same part per part.

So there you have it my car so far......

I intend to put a thread in on retro fitting an iPod / iPhone adapter onto the cr22 /220 later this year till then thanks for the ready supply of information to be found in like minded folk

• 1 month later...

Same concern here. I Just love this car full leather full CF, Violet Metallic, Champion tuned suspension+ wheels, full GT3 Aero kit, and well would like to consider all options before I drop $20k into a replacement and a SC. Bimmers are nice, had an 02 M5 loved it, just a little to big for my sporty taste.

:offtopic: I stoppped by the BMW dealer today to return the big bow borrowed to surprise the wife. I took a seat in the new Z4 Coupe - much smaller than an M5! The local paper's auto writer called it the "Cayman killer" at $20K less and 255 HP. I can't believe I can buy a brand new 2007 Z4 for the same price I paid for my 99 C2 three years ago. Humm....

Someone dropped him on his head as a child :beer:

MY99 C2 82,000. Bought it with 78,000. Replaced clutch, light weight fly wheel, redid exhaust (headers,muffler and cat by pass). No oil leaks or oil comsumption. Unfurtunately, I was not aware of the IMS issue and was not told about it wen the clutch was changed so the IMS upgrade was not done. Scared to death about it failing

Same concern here. I Just love this car full leather full CF, Violet Metallic, Champion tuned suspension+ wheels, full GT3 Aero kit, and well would like to consider all options before I drop $20k into a replacement and a SC. Bimmers are nice, had an 02 M5 loved it, just a little to big for my sporty taste.

:offtopic: I stoppped by the BMW dealer today to return the big bow borrowed to surprise the wife. I took a seat in the new Z4 Coupe - much smaller than an M5! The local paper's auto writer called it the "Cayman killer" at $20K less and 255 HP. I can't believe I can buy a brand new 2007 Z4 for the same price I paid for my 99 C2 three years ago. Humm....

Someone dropped him on his head as a child :beer:

MY99 C2 82,000. Bought it with 78,000. Replaced clutch, light weight fly wheel, redid exhaust (headers,muffler and cat by pass). No oil leaks or oil comsumption. Unfurtunately, I was not aware of the IMS issue and was not told about it wen the clutch was changed so the IMS upgrade was not done. Scared to death about it failing

Well this is the thread to check in on! There are really alot of great stories in here. I myself began to worry after reading a few of the nightmarish threads about 3.4l failures. I have a 99' C2 Aero. It is an absolutely gorgeous car to me and the fear of it imploding had me doing alot of researching on the sbj. Well it is a few years later I am am happy to say I have made it to the 80kmls mark and she is running like champ. Cept' needing the booster changed(cowl flooded), the clutch changed, the 2nd gear pop out addressed, as well as a no drip sweat at the RMS and last but not least the AC drier replaced. Just been too busy with my companies pulling me every which way! P.S. my C2 is sporting a couple of HP goodies, including; headers, EVOM intake(not the little cute orange thingy, the real one) Nasty Custom Mufflers! accellerating is exhilerating, and WOT scares the crap out of Vette owners for miles, all the while cruising is perfectly docile! I hope to love my 996 for many years to come, hopefully I'll never see a 997 GT3 in person. The misses will not let me have another car. . .dry.gif

1 Italian, 2 German, 1 Japanese, 2 American(Ford trucks).

Edited by ViolaGT3

Ok so just crossed 100,000 took a little less time than I thought but the car is my daily driver

996 3.4 carrera 4 cab 1998..... A real early example with a made for exhibition code under the bonnet

It's a great car, uses no oil engine has almost full oil pressure at 65 mph and purrs

Ownership hasn't been cheap, but I think the bills were to be expected at the change from 99999.... New coil packs (one failed) a full service to include the diff/gearbox oils together with a refix on the exhaust. The last two bills I'm expecting are for a couple of rear tyres which are currently running 4mm each.

I can't tell ya (let's face it you all know what I mean) how much I enjoy that silly grin when I use the car and that's worth the costs. For what it's worth I ran an mr2 convertible for 3 years and the costs were much the same part per part.

So there you have it my car so far......

I intend to put a thread in on retro fitting an iPod / iPhone adapter onto the cr22 /220 later this year till then thanks for the ready supply of information to be found in like minded folk

Glad to hear it! I don't know how mine runs at 65mph, as I am usually just getting out of the intersection at that speed! J/K You might say I enjoy a vehilce that superceeds it's funtion too

Update to my previous post.

1999 C2

I rolled over 120k miles and was hearing a slight vibration. Not long after I got a CEL with misfires so I shut the car down and had flat bedded to local shop I use. Turns out the timing chain appears to have broken probably due to IMS issue. Metal shavings were in the oil pickup so chances are high the piston hit a valve or similar occurred.

Getting engine rebuilt to the tune of around $8500 planning on putting another 120k miles on the rebuild.

Edited by jascha

• 1 month later...

I currently have 205K on my 99/996. Just got rear ended a few weeks back.....picking the car up tomorrow 9/30/2011 at the dealer hopefully, all is well and she's still purring like she did before the accident. Only problem, needed new bumpers, and a new AC Compressor and a few minor parts replacements. Can't wait to test drive .....Updates to follow.