Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have 73,500 miles, as of today (3 Sept 12) just did a 1,000 mile trip from PA through back roads of MD, VA down to Raleigh NC back thru VA coastal area up into DC MD and home.

No oil used.

Replaced rear seal and clutch at 70K,

Installed FabSpeed Headers, Exhaust and X-Back Cats, ECU and competition Air-Intake last year when purchased at 63K,

Engine is running very strong so far replace a lot of little stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 109K on my 2002 Carrera C4 convertible.

Just added rear LED lights by Spyder, and like the look.

Only major problem was second gear synchro - I attribute this to the previous owners treatment.

I love this car, and hope to add many more miles ;-)

My previous car was a 1989 Carrera Targa I sold after 145K.....and still miss it!

Only sold it because the AC couldn't deal with southern summers ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

New to Porsche ownership and I have a 1998 Carerra Tiptronic with 185K ish

The car has full service history and I am the third owner. Still pulls hard and has a slight knock/tick which sounds like a lifter once warmed up.

Fun at 100klm and press the go pedal. I'm in lurve

Dennis can you please be more specific, where is the TSB section? I am a newbie here.. :)

Go to the top of the page and point to "DIY Tools" TSBs are in the drop down

OOPS double post

Edited by fpb111

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I am in the clear on this one as of now.

I have Karl Wilen doing a slew of maintenance including sending the tranny to G-Box to update the bearing and clean it up, oh and toss in a Reiken LSD, as well as handle some other things like the IMS/RMS and all the usuals.

He let me know that my engine is an 01' or later motor(tensioner pulley difference?), so apparently either it blew before 02' when I bought it, or Champion updated it before I bought it? Either way Karl is giving a nasty little breathe of life back to her. He recommended LWFW and a GT spec clutch to complement the EVOM Intake, Modded exhaust.

So with a modest $17k put into her she'll be a beast again! Just a little nastier!

It is Great to keep seeing so many people caring for their cars and a sigh of relief from what at first seemed so dismal with all the posts of engine failures.

I have looked at the 997's a couple of times and I just love the lines and interior of the 996's better, So until she bore's me I'll keep loving the amazing little car!

I hope this has been a helpful reference thread to anyone fearing a potential engine killing sound and helps people find someone who has experienced the same issue they are having.

Love the stories keep'em coming!

80k something on the ODO, unknown on the motor, will try and find out when it was replaced. Jim

Edited by ViolaGT3

I have 109K on my 2002 Carrera C4 convertible.

Just added rear LED lights by Spyder, and like the look.

Only major problem was second gear synchro - I attribute this to the previous owners treatment.

I love this car, and hope to add many more miles ;-)

My previous car was a 1989 Carrera Targa I sold after 145K.....and still miss it!

Only sold it because the AC couldn't deal with southern summers ;-)

You may want to look into the Bearing update for the tranny.

Mine acted like 2nd synchro but it was the bearing. This is a well known issue.

Felt as though the shifter needed to go another 1/2 inch to get it in gear, if you shifted just quick enough it would take, but would tend to pop out.

Good luck with it!

156K on my 2000 cab!

Clutch, flywheel and RMS seal replaced at 76K

Steering lock, Water reservoir, break rotors and pads, and RMS replaced at 83K

water pump replaced 84k

new front break rotors and pads 122k

looking like spark plug tube leaked a little will keep an eye on this one but already ordered the parts.

Always used Mobile1 0-40w.

100,496 miles on my 2000 C2. other than regular maintenance i've replaced the serpentine belt, the coolant tank and had the crank position sensor replaced. Doesnt use oil, still starts and runs about like new. This has been a **** good car.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a 1999C2 for three months now. 118000 mi. 3rd owner, full history available, had a cracked cilinder head last year (I bought it from a collegue, (and he did me the deal to let me have it for $12K) so I've known the car for 3 years now), and no other problems before or after. Drives great, lots of power, no noises. I had a double DIN GPS/radio installed immediately after buying it and so the airco unit is now moved to the bottom of the console. I've redone the leahter with some products from a detailer in the area here, and it looks fantastic. The black leather is impeccable with some experience. Added pro is that the interieor now smell great (if you like the scent of leather that is :-) Only things that are left are the rims (it's now 17inch standard, and I want something with a little more panache) and the paintjob could do with some polishing and waxing.

Just turned 100k miles on my '99 coupe! Just changed the H20 pump and all is well. Might have to change bank 1 (1-3) Vcam unit soon, starting to make noise. Other than that, she is running strong.

Next on the list, new shocks and spring. (maybe a Christmas gift to myself)

Edited by RSrocket

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 4S (3.6L). Hit 100K miles yesterday. Bought it at ~80K miles . Has needed a clutch (prepurchase inspection identified a RMS leak & seller credited for it...clutch job didn't cost much more than the credit covered and RMS is dry as a bone now with the updated seal) and alternator (wasn't a big deal) since purchase.

Car runs smooth, zero issues. Burns a little oil (OW-40), not much, and I get up into the higher RPMs (no abuse). I would be hard pressed to identify a better value in retrospect. Despite some shortcomings of the M96, the 996 seems like a pretty good value to me.

Edited by ferrugia

• 2 weeks later...

My '99 996 Cab. is still running strong at 107K. No real complaints. With the mileage it has now, I just had some preventive maintenance done (ie: water pump, expansion tank, aos, clutch, IMS upgrade). Love the car, but I think the next one will be a coupe.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought an '03 Targa in the Summer of 2012 with 82,000 miles. After about the first 1,000 miles, I had to replace the alternator, battery, clutch, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, water pump, and a control arm. My IMS was inspected and looks good, and, once my 3 year powertrain warranty runs out, I'll likely replace it with the LN bearing. Everything works great now, outside of the rather flimsy Targa sunshade that broke.

• 2 weeks later...

2001 C2 with 65,000 miles as daily driver. RMS was leaking at 55,000 miles, which was replaced along with clutch and IMS with L&N. Also, I have replaced ignition lock at 60,000 due to failure. Recently (62,000 miles), installed Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires which I have been very impressed.

Love this topic. It just proves that the 996 is a survivor!!!

I have a Seal Grey 2004 C2 with 16K so hopefully I have a long way to go.

I love the car, the styling and it's like new appearance with the low mileage. Hopefully this thread keeps going because I love reading it.

189896 Miles and going strong. 1999 C2 911 cab. It runs and still looks great. I have had problems but nothing that is out of being normal ware and tear. Replaced Starter about 2, Alt, 3, Top has issues need to replace oil gets stuck at times. hoses, a/c evap went out that was expensive to repair daily driver. Love the Porsche name. I hope to get new 911 some time in the near furture.

Very recently sold my 03 Boxster (72K miles and very few issues) and got a 04 996 C2 with 23K miles. Seals were leaking so while it was in the garage I had the clutch replaced, as well as the flywheel (on the advice of the mechanic). Also upgraded the IMS bearing with LN Engineering. It's my daily driver and occasional track car. Hope the 996 is as trouble-free as the Boxster was. So far I love it (but still miss the Boxster).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

101,000 mi. But, for peace of mind, last month I had the engine and transmission taken out to do the RMS replacement and LN IMS bearing upgrade. As long as the engine was out, replaced all hoses, belts, water pump, plugs, tranny mount, air/oil separator, and all other potential wear items.

Edited by Cuda911

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

88k ... just pulled the original 3.4L engine last month after finishing my LNE / JE / Carrillo etc build. The new motor is in the car. After inspecting the old 3.4L, the only signs of wear I see are on the 1-3 cam gears & lobes. This was due to an intermittently failing Variocam solenoid that was left un-repaired for a few years. The RMS had started leaking but the IMS was in good shape for its age.