Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

front brake job

Hi all,

I am just about ready to tackle my front brakes. I am going to replace the front rotors and pads with factory Porsche parts. They look straight forward. Are there any tips or obstacles to look for? I see toolpants that you were going to film a brake job for DVD. See if you came to Canada you could have done a top adjustment and brake DVD at the same time.

thanks

Marco

• Moderators

I would not be able to find Canada with all that snow.

We did film a brake pad change and brake fluid replacement in sunny California. I have not looked at the video yet to see if it is good enough for a DVD.

It is easy to change the pads. To remove the caliper to remove the rotor you need an allen bit on a ratchet wrench for the 2 allen bolts. Think it is 10mm.

The retaining pin for the pads is a tight fit. I use a punch to drive out the pin.

brake3.jpg

brake5.jpg

Rain_030.jpg

• Moderators

You know what Porsche says. Porsche also says to not reuse the springs and clips. My dealer does not stock these parts - special order. Use common sense and if you see something that is not 100% good then replace it.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Try several import car parts places. We have a local one that sells aftermarket brake pads for $45. We put a front set in a few months ago on a base Boxster and the owner says they are fine. They are not fancy race pads for $200 or have the Porsche logo but fine for normal street driving. They also have the holes for the wear sensors.

I think they are sold under different names in the aftermarket. The name on the back of the pad is RMSA, which I think is Remsa of America owned by TRW. http://www.remsaofamerica.com/default.htm

The picture shows the box and 2 of the pads on the left. The single pad on the right is the old pad. The name on the box is Qualitee, but I have seen the same pads in a box with a different name.

post-4-1096823968_thumb.jpg