Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation in an older Boxster

Hi all. I've got an arena red 1997 Boxster 2.5, 5-speed with slate grey interior, which came with the original Becker tuner/CD player.

I know that the sound of the engine should suffice for music and a Nav unit with iPod interface is really a luxury, but I wanted both, especially for those long trips with my wife seated as co-pilot.

I shopped around for awhile and ended up selecting a Pioneer AVIC D3 double din unit with an iPod interface cable.

The double-din unit would not fit, but my installer and I came up with an obvious solution; we moved the climate control unit (which was in a funny location to begin with) in place of the lower of the two oddment catch-all boxes in front of the gearshift. It fits perfectly as is evident in newer models in which Porsche used the same space.

Having ample space with the Becker and climate control unit out, my installer just had to fashion a bezel to frame the Nav as well as for the climate control unit.

The result was a perfect fit; both the placement and operation are 5 stars (and it looks a lot like a much newer car!).

The installation and unit were not cheap....not cheap at all (~ $1,800), but, as stated above, it looks and works GREAT. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If anyone wants to see it, just ask. I will take a pic and post it here.

Monterino - San Jose, CA

I would like to see how it looks. I'm very close to do the same job.

very easy job to do, if you have had previous installation experience. The reason I say this is because I did the same install for a Pioneer avic d3, awesome unit, but to keep price down they do not give you many trim/bezel options. You need to be able to fabricate one or buy a double din mounting kit and put one together. I did it by using some old parts leftover from previous installations. All you need to do is relocated the climate control, buy the oe climate trim piece from the dealer (about 10 bucks) then cut the oe radio slot to make it double din. There is also a good hack for d3 unit where you are able to use the nav and dvd functions on the go, all you need to do is change one of the wires in the harness to a different pin location (check the avic blogs that is where my uncle found it, very usefull hack, no need to pull over to input nav address etc). If you really want factory look, you can spend the bucks to buy the oe trim pieces for the factory navi unit (the double din unit) by buying those trim pieces would make your install easier, but I'm sure they are expensive at the dealer. Also your speed sensor wire is located right in the oe wire harness (brown wire with pink stripe I believe...) that should be all you need to install (if you do the hack I mentioned earlier, otherwise you will need to run a ebrake wire separately(not in oe wire harness) you also do not need to use the reverse wire unless you are hooking up a back up camera and it will not affect nav features)

post-18897-1181378067_thumb.jpg

Check it out...

The nav and iPod interface works great.

I'd rather have one good iPod interface than 100 CD changers!!

-Monterino

I too would love to see how it looks. Can you email me some photos at wongdaryl@hotmail.com?

Thanks heaps!

Definitely looks great!

I don't think I'd go with a double DIN unit myself, though. My 01 originally had the cheesy a$$ cup holders in the top slot, and when I got it, an Alpine (I think) stereo. (missing the face plate... never got it from the small dealer) I swapped in my Sony MP3 playing head unit. Later I swapped the cupholder with another forum member, since his single DIN head unit had a fold out display that blocked his HVAC controls. I got his top mount hardware and the bin for the bottom most slot. I like it that way now, so I'd rather not have anything force me to move the HVAC unit again.

I also have a PDA and a GPS receiver, so I gots t3h NAV when I need it ;)