Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

exhaust rattle, and I can't locate it

2002 box s

so I've got a rattle, unmistakable metal rattling sound, that I can hear bouncing off walls and whatnot when accelerating or decelerating, but only when there's resistance (it doesn't happen in neutral when stopped, I can only hear it when moving and in gear)

so I put the car up on ramps and thought I found the rattle in the rear most passenger side cat heat shield so I removed both the rear cat's shields, screws, and the clips they screw into

turns out this was making some noise, but not the one I heard :(

are there shields around the forward cats too? or maybe the headers? I haven't put the car back up to look but every time I drive I hear this and it's bugging me!

Edited by stumpjumper

I also had a wicked rattle that I couldn't find. After checking all of the usual suspects, I took my time and examine every surface, joint and nut. After 15 mins I found that there was a crack in the bracket on the cat that connects to the extension arm coming from the exhaust. I was completely severed, I had to look closely and shake it with my hand to see any movement.

Mark

2002 box s

so I've got a rattle, unmistakable metal rattling sound, that I can hear bouncing off walls and whatnot when accelerating or decelerating, but only when there's resistance (it doesn't happen in neutral when stopped, I can only hear it when moving and in gear)

so I put the car up on ramps and thought I found the rattle in the rear most passenger side cat heat shield so I removed both the rear cat's shields, screws, and the clips they screw into

are there shields around the forward cats too? or maybe the headers? I haven't put the car back up to look but every time I drive I hear this and it's bugging me!

2002 box s

There is a sleeve wrapped around the pipe of the cat that corrodes at the welds. I removed mine with tin snips after the OK from the OPC mechanic, otherwise it's new cats

had th same problem with mine when i went underneath i saw the stud and bolts that go between the cats and the manifolds had rusted away quite common apparently sounds fine on idle rattles when accelerating also check heat shields on the exhaust the bolts on those have he same problem

I'm having the same problem. Found a rusted loose bolt on top of the right cat shield and thought I had found the problem. Still rattles when accelerating. I'll keep looking and feeling...hopefully one of us will find the source.

ok so a little update

the heat shields weren't it, so I got annoyed and started whacking the hot exhaust with a rubber mallet, narrowed the rattle down to the passenger side cat/elbow for sure, but it was still too hot to touch so I let it sit and was going to come back and put it on ramps to search

to my dismay it won't rattle when it's cold!

tonight I'll try again, putting it up after the drive home and searching better, if I find anything I'll take pics... now where's that oven mit

• 2 weeks later...

I found my rattle, and I killed it

around the rear cat, on the side where it has the 70ish degree bend, there are 2 pieces of steel welded around the bend, these pieces float around the pipe and are only welded to the canister, using a rotozip and a metal cutting wheel I cut through the welds and removed these pieces, the canister and pipe are still 100% intact

the weld on the inside of the bend (the smaller weld) was broken, and this is what would rattle as it heated up, now there's no rattle at all and the car sounds very different... I forgot what it was supposed to sound like

• Thanks 1

I found my rattle, and I killed it

around the rear cat, on the side where it has the 70ish degree bend, there are 2 pieces of steel welded around the bend, these pieces float around the pipe and are only welded to the canister, using a rotozip and a metal cutting wheel I cut through the welds and removed these pieces, the canister and pipe are still 100% intact

the weld on the inside of the bend (the smaller weld) was broken, and this is what would rattle as it heated up, now there's no rattle at all and the car sounds very different... I forgot what it was supposed to sound like

Glad to see you sorted the problem. It also took me a while to figure out it was those shields

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. I initially made the problem go away by bending the metal so that the heat shield didn't have space to rattle. But it eventualy found a way to rattle again. So I removed the shields from both sides and replaced them with cloth heat wrap. I will never have that problem again and the exhaust is probably better insulated than stock.

I had the same problem. I initially made the problem go away by bending the metal so that the heat shield didn't have space to rattle. But it eventualy found a way to rattle again. So I removed the shields from both sides and replaced them with cloth heat wrap. I will never have that problem again and the exhaust is probably better insulated than stock.

Stefan, see post 11, the same thing happend to me. Everything was ok for about two weeks, now the rattle is back and as bad as ever. Can you add a photo of how you installed the heat wrap. Did you wrap the cats or mold a shield with them over the cats? Where did you purchase the wrap. Any help you give would be appreiciated. I thought I had found another source, a bar running directly behind the muffler was rattling a little I bent it downwards but that didn't help.

• 4 weeks later...
ok so a little update

the heat shields weren't it, so I got annoyed and started whacking the hot exhaust with a rubber mallet, narrowed the rattle down to the passenger side cat/elbow for sure, but it was still too hot to touch so I let it sit and was going to come back and put it on ramps to search

to my dismay it won't rattle when it's cold!

tonight I'll try again, putting it up after the drive home and searching better, if I find anything I'll take pics... now where's that oven mit

I am having the same problem on my 00 Boxster (149K) and the dealer told me the cat on the right header was coming apart on the inside. Mine sounds like loose valetrain below the side air intake. SO now the question is buy 1 factory header at $1200 (2 yr warr.) or fabspeed set $2400 (lifetime warr.)

cheers,

Chris