Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's your favorite mod?

Well, if they don't follow their claim, I get my money back, so easy enough! Guarentees rock!

Anyway, maybe its just because I'm coming from the less than less than perfect Evo 8 interior but other than the shifter feeling like a Jeep Wrangler shifter, I had no complaints. I say had, because now I really like the colored crest on the wheel and your shift knob.

Nav is already planned and picked out. The stock Bose stereo will be plenty for me otherwise for quite sometime, and I won't be getting a subwoofer probably at all, unless I get two 8s. Clear side markers are a must depending on the color C2 I end up in for sure. The non-smoker kit is cool, but I don't know how much it is worth it at this point, though I'm sure I'll discover its value once I have a 996, since everyone seems to love it.

After Nav and a short-shifter kit the next important thing (Tint will be very first, like, day of getting the car) will be new wheels. Likely Enkei NTO3+Ms since they're extremely light but also extremely sturdy and strong.

Oh, and the automatic spoiler is too **** awesome (and really, a large part of the car's appeal for me, in all honestly) that I wouldn't change it for anything other than maybe the new 997's automatic spoiler on the Turbo. (At least, I think it is the standard one on the 997 Turbos)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Becker IPOD factory cable is a good upgrade. I just installed mine today. $20 and you can professionally link your IPOD to the factory Becker. This option does not allow you to charge your IPOD though. Audio only, but sounds much better than FM transmitter. Search Becker North America for info.

Becker IPOD factory cable is a good upgrade. I just installed mine today. $20 and you can professionally link your IPOD to the factory Becker. This option does not allow you to charge your IPOD though. Audio only, but sounds much better than FM transmitter. Search Becker North America for info.

This only works on pre-MOST systems <2002

• 1 month later...
I would like to hear members opinions on what there favorite mods are. Which ones were worth the money? Which mods you wouldn't live without now that you have it?

1. GHL muffler. Exceptional sound.

2. Becker Audio IPOD Mod

1) Orange Cap - Throaty exhaust note for a very reasonable price

2) SmartTop and RemoteTop

Where do you get an Orange Cap?

BTW now that I finally have one ('99 Carrera 4, Glacier White) I take back what I said about the shifter... My ONLY complaint about the car was the becker, which got replaced right after buying the car with an Alpine x001 Ipod Deck... The Ipod sits nicely where the CD storage tray used to be (the cd trays pop out of the frame). Other than that, got 45%/35% high quality F1 Ceramic tint. Then its just the light gray wheels on a white car that's left to bother me.

So favorite mod for me is getting rid of the very ****ty factory deck/becker (the CD player freakin skips when I go over bumps...) Anyway, love the car, asside from the spoiler going up at 50 mph for no apparent reason (it definitly isn't a mechanical/electrical failure, and no one seems to know why else it would go up at 50 and down at 20 instead of 75 and 50 or whatever)

Where do you get an Orange Cap?

I think the manufacturer, Niagara Plastics, got wise after a while when all these people would order free sample orange caps but never place an order. I got mine by asking online and someone on rennlist was good enough to send me an extra one. Best free mod ever.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My favorite mods

1.Aluminum gauge rings

2.Aluminum pedals

3.Clear side markers

4.Clear LED 3rd brake light

5.Steering wheel crest

All of these were relatively cheap, I haven't done any major mods.

Kristian

BTW now that I finally have one ('99 Carrera 4, Glacier White) .....

congrats on the car! you'll love it.

my name is vick and i'm a mod-aholic. :D seriously tho, you can rack up some big bucks on mods for not much return. you're just not gonna squeeze that much more power out of a normally aspirated engine with bolt-ons. start adding up cold air intake, plenum, mufflers, headers, ECU software and you're talking $5K or $6K easy, probably more. and, the tricky part is that 10HP+20HP+10HP+20HP+20HP equals around 20HP.

here's my subjective personal experience favorite two mods and why: ECU software from softronic definitely made my car rev faster and more fun to drive; fabspeed mufflers sound a lot better than stock.

the real rational answer to enjoying your car more is to join the porsche club and do some driver education events. that's like a few hundred bucks. if you're a great driver and you reach the performance limits of your car's stock setup, invest a couple or three grand in suspension upgrades. if you find yourself at the track all the time and you're super good, drop another three or four grand on brake upgrades. same $6K in mods, but your car will be a track monster that you can drive much faster and more safely.

I've had my car for almost a year, and am ready for mods. Between searching, following threads on various forums, and deciding on what I want from the car, this is my list. My car already came with PSE and MKI sideskirts. As soon as I got the car, I picked up smoked side markers and chrome lugs.

1) RoW M030 Suspension - Sunset Imports (Oregon) - $1100 slight performance increase without ride being compromised. The 20mm drop will look nice too.

2) AeroCupII kit... sort of. - Performance increase to plant that rear end in high speed corners at the track.

--- OEM GT3 Decklid & Blade - used - I got ripped off on the decklid at $1300, I picked up the blade for $250

--- OEM AeroCupII bumper & spoiler kit - Sunset Imports - $1300

3) FVD Powerflow Intake - FVD USA - $495 - With the GT3 decklid, i had to move my intake to the right side of the engine bay. Should have nice sound improvement.

4) RSS Plenum - RPM - $900 to $1000 - Lots of informal praise for this piece and a couple of dynos proving the gains.

5) Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s - Fast Toys Performance - $1450CDN - The Continentals were absolute garbage on the track.

Edited by Lerxst

• 10 months later...

Mods are lots of fun and a great way to get to know your driving machine inside and out. I've done a variety of mods. Simple stuff mostly, but adds both life and visual appeal.

Not mods, but I replaced the RMS, clutch, brakes/rotors and spark plugs. It's not as hard to do it with the resources available on this site.

Completed Mods

1. Sirius/Ipod hook up to the Becker

2 MK II 3.6 Muffler Mod

3. Amberectory - removed the orange internal lens from the front headlights

4. Replaced orange side markers with clear (using amber LED bulbs)

5. Painted brake calipers (Black to yellow)

6. HID conversion kit (H7/6000K)

Near Future mods

1. Clear Lens 3rd Brake light (upper & Lower)

2. Cold Air intake K&N

3. Short Shift kit

Not soon enough mod

1. Suspension

2. Front and rear bumper, side skirts and tail.

3. Anything else I can dream up.

-Ken

Mine have mostly been interior updates along with Aero sideskirts, front lip spoiler, Litronic headlights, front bumper plugs, rear wheel spacers, clear side markers, window tint, painted center caps valve stem/valve caps.

I don't buy the HP gains made by the intake and exhaust mods! Think they over state the HP gains. Besides when they state those claims you have no idea what else has been done.

The only thing that may help a little is a tune download based on your engines configuration. Not sure you will really feel it though.

Edited by KevinMac

Here's a few mods on my wish list.

Some of it's really simple like the convenience of this spin-on oil filter adapter.

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/catalog...tool-p-103.html

To the more complex like rebuilding a motor with nickel sleeves and an IMS upgrade.

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/catalog...odels-c-36.html

Then, of course, comes the supercharger.

http://www.tpcracing.us/products/superchar...harger_kit.html

or

http://www.imagineauto.com/996%20sc.htm

And round that out with a nice coilover package.

BUT, as of right now, the only "mod" I can really claim is adding an AUX stereo plug into my storage bin, so I can plug in iPods or other MP3 players.

I think I'm going to do an HID conversion on my lights though because the H7 55w bulbs are making yellow spots on the lenses. I need to take my headlights apart, clean it all up, and find a way to stop that problem.

Wow, as I read through the various replies it made me think about all the mods I've done to '02 c2 cab.

Turbo front bumper cover

Turbo rear bumper cover (perfectly modded to fit...a mod of a mod!)

997 design sport wheels

GHL exhaust cans

X50 Tips

Aluminum pedals

Smart Top

Passenger airbag deactivation kit

EVO CAI (removed, never liked it)

Clear side markers; been told they add 15hp (at the wheel) haven't done the dyno so please don't quote me :lol:

My favorite mods are:

PSS9's with GT3 sways (front and back). This set-up had the most impact and changed the handling (for the better) immensely.

Cheers,

Stan

Here's my favorite mods in order

1.New convertible top with glass window

2.Aluminum gauge rings

3.Aluminum pedals.

4.Led clear 3rd brake light

5.Clear led side markers

6.K&N filter

7.Steering wheel crest

KL

Does the steering wheel crest just glue on? I may replace mine as for some reason it only has one red stripe and the rest are gold and black.

My car did not come with a crest, but I ordered an original crest that goes on with double sided tape.

KL

Here's my favorite mods in order

1.New convertible top with glass window

2.Aluminum gauge rings

3.Aluminum pedals.

4.Led clear 3rd brake light

5.Clear led side markers

6.K&N filter

7.Steering wheel crest

KL

Does the steering wheel crest just glue on? I may replace mine as for some reason it only has one red stripe and the rest are gold and black.