Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

iPhone with Porsche Nav-TV

I have a 997 C4 Cab with Nav-TV installed and I just picked up an iPhone. Can't wait to try this! Sweet!

NAV-TV OEM Integration Solutions Work Perfectly With iPhone

NAV-TV OEM Integration Solutions Work Perfectly With iPhone

July 8, 2007

Boca Raton, Fla. -- NAV-TV Corp., the premiere OEM Integration brand in the mobile electronics industry, is proud to announce its current line of iPod interfaces is compatible with Apple’s iPhone.

The OPi-P is an iPod interface to late model Porsche vehicles, utilizing M.O.S.T (Media Oriented Systems Transport), the OPi-M is an iPod interface to late model Mercedes vehicles, utilizing M.O.S.T. and the OPi-A6 / A8 / Q7 is an iPod interface to late model Audi vehicles, utilizing M.O.S.T.

“Our units work with the iPhone perfectly, with the added feature of muting the iPhone, and sending the ring tone to the vehicle when receiving a phone call to the iPhone. Unlike other companies that have elected to use other methods of communications to the iPod, creating problems with the iPhone such as no audio or no controls," says Moni Melman, NAV-TV CEO.

While connected to the iPhone all features are fully functional and users can select artists, play lists, albums and songs via the factory radio and steering wheel controls. With full radio controls, users enter his or her selection in a similar fashion to controlling a factory CD changer.

Alternatively, manual controls utilize the iPhone touch screen controls while feeding the audio directly to the Vehicle. While connected, the OPi kit charges the iPhone as well. Once the iPhone is playing via NAV-TV’s OPi kit, phone calls received automatically mute, pause and generate a ring tone via the vehicle’s speakers.

For more information, contact sales@nav-tv.com or call 866-477-3336

That is interesting.... give us a review when you have the time.

Partial update: audio and charging works perfectly with the Nav-TV cable, with interface on the Porsche PCM head unit. I had previously had my Porsche dealer install the Nav-TV unit under the passenger seat with the iPod cable terminating into the arm rest storage area (since I didn't need/want the iPod visible since all the functionality I wanted was available on the PCM head unit).

However, with the iPhone, I DO want it within easy reach, since I need to be able to answer the phone, quickly query Google Maps, for the nearest drug store, for example, manage calls, read SMS messages, etc.

I also have the Jawbone bluetooth noise cancelling headset, so I'm good with the iPhone call audio going through the car's Bose audio system (I hope I don't get feedback, but with the powerful noise cancelling cabilities of the Jawbone headset, I'm hopeful this won't be the case).

Sooooo....

I needed to extend the iPod cable out of the armrest about another 2 feet, to the side of the PCM, where I figure I want it mounted, and needed a mount to firmly hold the iPhone, but in an accesibble, but unobtrusive location, perhaps adjacent the PCM itself, to the right, WITHOUT drilling, damaging or defacing the vehicle itself.

So I found and ordered

1) This 2FT iPod doc extender cable: http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html,

2) This iPhone-specific swivel holder mount: Padded Adjustable iPod Holder with Tilt Swivel, and

3) This Porsche 911-specific iPod vehicle mount: ProClip Angled Vehicle Mount

I'll post back in a week or so after I've got these additions added with a fuller review, including the overall performance of the solution with the phone call audio routing through the car audio, auto-muting on phone call, and the Jawbone/car audio setup plus some photos of this (hopefully) elegant and understated solution.

Damon

Edited by dcooper

That is interesting.... give us a review when you have the time.

Partial update: audio and charging works perfectly with the Nav-TV cable, with interface on the Porsche PCM head unit. I had previously had my Porsche dealer install the Nav-TV unit under the passenger seat with the iPod cable terminating into the arm rest storage area (since I didn't need/want the iPod visible since all the functionality I wanted was available on the PCM head unit).

However, with the iPhone, I DO want it within easy reach, since I need to be able to answer the phone, quickly query Google Maps, for the nearest drug store, for example, manage calls, read SMS messages, etc.

I also have the Jawbone bluetooth noise cancelling headset, so I'm good with the iPhone call audio going through the car's Bose audio system (I hope I don't get feedback, but with the powerful noise cancelling cabilities of the Jawbone headset, I'm hopeful this won't be the case).

Sooooo....

I needed to extend the iPod cable out of the armrest about another 2 feet, to the side of the PCM, where I figure I want it mounted, and needed a mount to firmly hold the iPhone, but in an accesibble, but unobtrusive location, perhaps adjacent the PCM itself, to the right, WITHOUT drilling, damaging or defacing the vehicle itself.

So I found and ordered

1) This 2FT iPod doc extender cable: http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html,

2) This iPhone-specific swivel holder mount: Padded Adjustable iPod Holder with Tilt Swivel, and

3) This Porsche 911-specific iPod vehicle mount: ProClip Angled Vehicle Mount

I'll post back in a week or so after I've got these additions added with a fuller review, including the overall performance of the solution with the phone call audio routing through the car audio, auto-muting on phone call, and the Jawbone/car audio setup plus some photos of this (hopefully) elegant and understated solution.

Damon

Let me get this right:

1. you can hear the phone calls through the cars audio system, but, because there is no external mike you need to use the Jawbone to talk?

2. What about voice dial?

Edited by larrytrk

Let me get this right:

1. you can hear the phone calls through the cars audio system, but, because there is no external mike you need to use the Jawbone to talk?

2. What about voice dial?

Hmmmm...yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense, does it? I have yet to try the phone functionality while connected to the Nav-TV, but the iPhone does have a built-in microphone (obviously...it's a phone), so a speaker phone type of functionality using the car speakers should be possible. OR the music will mute and I just handle the call normally (either pick up the iPhone, use the speaker phone capability, or goto headset.

I'll let you know.

iPhone doesn't have voice dial capability, video camera, user-installable applications, user-configurable ring tones and 3G connectivity (does have WiFi). But I can live without that stuff.

I can't live without my iPhone though, with the tight Google maps integration, video, iPod, Outlook integration, mail, stocks, photos, notes, world time, full Internet browser, etc)

Also, fyi...found a piece of software for $39 that rips DVD movies as well (from a company called Cucusoft). With the 8GB model, I've got a great subset of my audio collection, plus 6 full-length movies I ripped using the Cucusoft DVD to iPhone software...great for working out, on a plane, by the pool, etc.

Anyway, I'll post again when I've mounted it and tested everything out.

Damon

Edited by dcooper

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've had it installed and running for a while and my overall (and overwhelming) impression is: WOW. The iPhone is the perfect road companion and phone.

An overview of everything I've discovered is here:

My iPhone Blog Entry, including Porsche hookup

I'll post pics at some poiint, but it's the sweetest setup I could have imagined. A few things irk me after 2 months of use, but it's overshadowed by how awesome the Porsche 997 911 and Apple iPhone go together. Engineering perfection at all levels!

Damon

Some pics of the mount and connection...(ytaken with the iPhone, so it's not in the picture, but the munt is great because it's just drop-in and it's connected and held solid (needed for my style of driving!)

I did have to do a bit of mod work on the ProClip iPod holder to get a solid fit, but nothing my Dremel couldn't handle.

Hope this helps someone.

Damon

post-16043-1188836000_thumb.jpg

post-16043-1188836015_thumb.jpg

One FINAL post on this (to completely beat this to death), since I realized I never clarified the actual behavior above in terms of audio routing, etc:

First, the audio goes through the PCM when the PCM is switched to the CD Changer source (now the Nav-TV unit). This means videos/movies/video podcasts/etc audio gets routed through the Bose 13-speaker setup in my case. The ProClip rotates, so when playing video or DVD movies via the iPhone (for my young son, for example), the audio goes out the stereo system.

When a call comes in, the iPhone completely (and automatically) fades out the music/podcast/video/movie and I can take the call via the regular route, with my choice of audio source. In the car, this usually means my Jawbone bluetooth headset (default source when connected) for audio and microphone. When the call ends, the audio automatically fades back in on the car speakers.

The iPod audio output doesn't go out through the bluetooth headset (except in one rare special circumtance, but that's ok), and the phone audio never goes out the car speakers (good, since it would probably cause all kinds of feedback problems).

So, all is in harmony.

Over and out!

Damon

One FINAL post on this (to completely beat this to death), since I realized I never clarified the actual behavior above in terms of audio routing, etc:

First, the audio goes through the PCM when the PCM is switched to the CD Changer source (now the Nav-TV unit). This means videos/movies/video podcasts/etc audio gets routed through the Bose 13-speaker setup in my case. The ProClip rotates, so when playing video or DVD movies via the iPhone (for my young son, for example), the audio goes out the stereo system.

When a call comes in, the iPhone completely (and automatically) fades out the music/podcast/video/movie and I can take the call via the regular route, with my choice of audio source. In the car, this usually means my Jawbone bluetooth headset (default source when connected) for audio and microphone. When the call ends, the audio automatically fades back in on the car speakers.

The iPod audio output doesn't go out through the bluetooth headset (except in one rare special circumtance, but that's ok), and the phone audio never goes out the car speakers (good, since it would probably cause all kinds of feedback problems).

So, all is in harmony.

Over and out!

Damon

I just had the Nav-tv iPod adapter and Nav-tv Sirius satellite radio adapter installed in my new 997 C2S, along with a Parrot 3100 Bluetooth kit taken from my now traded-in Boxster S. Everything works flawlessly with my iPhone after upgrading the firmware of the 2 year old Parrot 3100 to the latest version. The Parrot has voice recognition and allows you to scroll through the phonebook entries as well. It is mounted in a custom panel installed at the front of the "cubby-hole" space beneath the climate control panel in the center stack, the microphone is mounted on the left side of the overhead panel that contains the reading lights, and the iPod adapter cable is installed in the center console rear compartment. Of course, this doesn't allow viewing of the iPhone screen as easily or effectively as does your setup, but I mostly use voice recognition for dialing the few calls I make from the car, and my kids are grown, so no need for movies to entertain them. It would have been great when they were little, though.

Great post!

I picked up a proclip mount for my cellphone and couldn't get it mounted properly (it would fall off after a couple of days). What mods did you do to get it solid?

Thanks!

Yeah you have push the back (carpet end) waaay down and the front to the bottom as well. I had the same prob initially.

Hth

Damon