Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Main Seal Leak

I recently noticed a couple of suspicious drips on the garage floor and having just about 2 weeks of warranty time left on my 03 Boxster S, I took it to my local Dealer (50 miles away) for a check.

Porsche of North Scotsdale confirmed the leak, changed the main and intermediate seals, changed the oil filter, put in 9 qts of Mobil 1, loaned me a car for $8.00 (gas charges only) and had it all finished overnight.

They measured the crankshaft endplay and it was within limits and they volunteered, without my asking, that if the measurement was at all questionable, they would change the engine.

It certainly turned out to be one of my better car dealer related experiences I've had in life, as they did all of the above at no charge and with no hassle.

Lyn :clapping:

I copied this from my other post, totally different experience than you "I don't know what their problem is here at the Collection (Miami), maybe it is because my warranty is about to expire, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do the work. The guy even wanted to charge me for the car rental while my car was getting worked on. I don't think that he liked it when I declined all the service stuff he offered which I have already done, such as the oil change, bleeding the brakes, and cleaning the drains! etc. I also told him about some kind of oily fluid on top of the engine and he asked how I knew about it, and I told him I was in the engine compartment, he almost fell off his chair!!! ".

Update, It is 8:40 pm Wed, and I haven't heard from them since yesterday morning. :angry:

What a shame, as it doesn't cost the Dealership squat to do warranty work and happy service customers are potential future buyers.

As Mike said, we need to share both good and bad Dealer experiences with the membership and I think we should clearly identify the Dealerships by name.

I am only 2 weeks away from the end of my warranty and Porsche of North Scotsdale AZ treated me like I had just bought the Box from them.

Too bad that you got saddled with one of the bad actors and you ought to publish their name and address for future reference.

Lyn

• 3 months later...

So far I am also having an excellent experience with my dealer "Porsche Exchange" of Highland Park, IL. My 2000 S is in for a rms leak. While checking they saw a valve leak on the left side which they consider more important that the rms. They are dealing with my warranty company, EasyCare, to sought out matters. They have not taken the transmission apart yet to know the extent of damage. They did ask for performing oil change, etc.; however, when I told them I did it myself earlier this year including brake flush - they did not push it. They did recommend checking out the airbag systems which they said most customers decline and also did not push it. I figured why not and approved the $159. I would hate to have an airbag failure or a repair declined by warranty due to not servicing as recommended. I am fortunte that since buying this car used in Nov '03, I have not needed any repairs - just routine maintenance. Owning a Porsche has been the most pleasurable experience for me. I knew about rms and other issues within a short time of purchasing car so this is not a surprise. It was more a question of when and not if. My extended warranty has remained unused since Nov '03 so the insurance company should be hopefully be cooperative.

Edited by sinbad

Both warranty company and dealer came thru :D . I will only need to pay a $100.00 warranty deductible. Car should be ready middle to end of next week. If anyone needs a Chicago dealer, then I would certainly recommend Porsche Exchange of Highland Park, IL. As a matter of fact, they were ones that leased out the 928S for Risky Business with Tom Cruise filmed in Chicago.

Quick update. Got Boxster back yesterday. Repairs went well. I had them change the intermediate shaft seal also and charged for part only. It wasn't leaking but figured it is already apart. It is nice to have my car back even though I only dropped it last Wednesday night. The clutch feels better even though they didn't change it. :D