Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Type 2 overevs, new info

I've read on the boards (including this one) that type 2 overrevs can only happen when you downshift to the wrong gear, or otherwise force the engine to spin faster than any rpm it could reach bumping into the rev limiter.

My recent personal experience says this is wrong.

This evening, in a burst of stupidity, I turned off PSM and tried WOT in first gear. It held traction up to about 5500, then the tires let go and I was instantly on the rev limiter. When I bought the car in late March of this year it had 9 type 2s. After this evening's journey passed the rev limiter, it now has 21 types 2s. I have not tracked the car (yet), nor downshifted into the wrong gear. I've nudged the rev limiter before in higher gears, but tonight I hit it pretty hard.

There's no doubt whatsoever that I added 12 type 2 counts by hitting the rev limiter.

Jeff

• Moderators

Remind me not to let you borrow my car....

You were able to force the engine to spin past the limit of Range 1 while under acceleration into Range 2. Looks like the rev limiter can be beaten. Or, your DME has been altered to change when the rev limiter comes on.

Here is a Boxster that also like Range 2.

post-4-1185091141_thumb.jpg

Chances are your engine will not last long. Let's see... a TT engine is around $50k or so. Ouch!

I see more and more this type of behavior. Pardon me, but that's not Porsche behavior. It's more old muscle car type behavior.

• 1 month later...
Chances are your engine will not last long. Let's see... a TT engine is around $50k or so. Ouch!

I see more and more this type of behavior. Pardon me, but that's not Porsche behavior. It's more old muscle car type behavior.

Give the guy a break, it's very easy to over rev a 996TT in first gear.

So with these or any type of over-rev (on all Porsches, although I have a 987), this information is recorded by the computer?

Where can I read about what kinds of things are recorded.

Also I recall that the dealer can 'reset' this information, essentially erase it?

So with these or any type of over-rev (on all Porsches, although I have a 987), this information is recorded by the computer?

Yes, the ECU

Where can I read about what kinds of things are recorded.
Go to the Durametric site, it gives some good info.

Also I recall that the dealer can 'reset' this information, essentially erase it?

Although it IS possible to do this, typically the dealer will NOT erase any of this information as it is used for warranty issues. Erasure costs some $$$$.