Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water behind seat - Drain hole clog fix - Seat Heat elements?

A week ago, I noticed a damp smell and window fogging, sure enough, water soaked carpet at floor behind passenger seat.

No problem driver side. Searched posts, noted probable drain hole problem, sure enough, under the clamshell (checked with clamshell in complete open service position) the drain hole in the foam surround part had leaves and gunk stuck in it. Picked at it with fingers and vacuumed, tried to poke further with wire hanger, would only go 2" deep. Hope it is cleared.

Removed seat completely to tend to wet area. 4 torq thingies, did not have the right size, 10mm socket worked fine.

Weird plug under seat (typical uber-super german engineered plastic plug) unplugged.

Next steps:

1- Put water back through drainhole see if it drains ok

2- Dry out the completely soaked foam and carpet area. (thick foam)

I will report back once finished so the job can be logged as a thread.

Question:

I believe I read a while back that the seats were ALL made with the heating elements built into them, (1998)

but they were only connected (wired and switch) if you ordered the heat seat option.

1- Is this correct?

Under the removed seat, I tried to look for any wires in the seat that would lead to any elements but did not find anything,

If they are there, so, I would like to wire them up and install a switch myself, will do driver seat at same time.

2- Any ideas on how the wiring works?

I am posting pictures of the electrical wiring plugs from the floor of the seat area, where I noticed a separate 2 prong plug that was not plugged

into anything (and some electrical tape on the wires, which is not factory, meaning someones been under there before me...:).

3- Does anyone know if this is the heat element switch on/off plug?

Thanks to all,

I the plug in heat seat with a new switch is a possibility, I will document process for others.

Clamshell service position:

post-11065-1186458732_thumb.jpg

Closer look at foam lining the bottom of the water drainage area:

post-11065-1186458752_thumb.jpg

Closer look at the drain hole, an extension of the foam into a drain.

Mine is ripped a bit on the edges, will patch with duct tape and/or silicone.

post-11065-1186458766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charlestonboxster

Pictures to help anyone else through this in the future.

PS:

1- Does anyone know what interior color I have?

Paint/Interior code is L741 (Black) and A1, I could not find A1 on any interior color charts.

2- Terracotta?

Passenger seat removed:

post-11065-1186459071_thumb.jpg

Carpet pulled back, area was sopping wet.

Thick foam padding/carpet soaked, Plan to Dry:

Vet vac, squeeze between thick towels stomped on,

then heat area with airflow from a hot hair blow dryer and a strong

halogen spotlight. Protect leather and plastic areas close by from heat.

post-11065-1186459082_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What is see is mixed up pictures.

The white connector is for an aftermarket rear speaker kit. The black plastic covered wires behind the passenger seat over to the center console are for the rear speakers.

The 2 wire connector under the passenger seat is for the child seat air bag deactivation.

Wiring, possibly for heat elements?

Here is a closeup of a 2 prong plug, factory markings on it, 2 thin wires leading somewhere into the bunch, brown, and white stripe.

post-11065-1186460220_thumb.jpg

Here is a larger view.

Unused 2 prong plug seen up to the right, with 2 thin wires, lead into taped bunch.

Some wires come out from under the carpet, one thick red is prominent, probably + for all, including seat motor.

Some wires probably for seatbelt warning.

2 Thick brown wires that are attached to ground (left side) going into the taped bunch.

but only one coming out of the bunch...hmm...

Electrical tape is not factory, may have to open er up see what's goin on in there.

I can provide more detailed color codes/pics if needed.

Thanks for any guidance!

post-11065-1186460232_thumb.jpg

What is see is mixed up pictures.

The white connector is for an aftermarket rear speaker kit. The black plastic covered wires behind the passenger seat over to the center console are for the rear speakers.

The 2 wire connector under the passenger seat is for the child seat air bag deactivation.

Good evening TP!

Thanks for the notes, yup, have after market speakers in rear and black wire is that too.

Pictures shown to help anyone else with drain hole location/problem.

2 Wire connector under the passenger seat is for child seat air bag deactivation?

Wow, would not have thought of that!

So does that nix the heat element hope?

Any clarification on the seat heat element possibilities appreciated.

• Admin
Does anyone know what interior color I have?
For your model year the only interior that looks close to me is Boxster Red.

Leather will have a different color code than carpet, etc.

If you want to know what options came with your car from the factory - then PM me your VIN and I'll look it up.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried using a dehumidifier to dry the carpets in place instead of taking them out?

It was a suggestion from the OPC.

Update:

1- Water problem was indeed clogged drain, 100% fine now.

2- What worked for me:

Pulled up parts of carpet I could and wedged things underneath to hold it up/allow air flow

Small blow dryer, handle tucked in the magazine holder behind passenger seat, pointed downwards

Set on low, moved it around a gew times, left overnight.

2 overnights and the carpet was bone dry in all areas

3- Tool Pants - I have reconnected the seat, and low and behold, the AIRBAG light is now on!

I wonder if indeed, the taped up part has to do with this.

I'll look up posts on how to reset air bag light.