Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's this called and how do I fix it?

Well, I got a bit too close to a curve and the black plastic wheel well protector (like 8 inches long or so) on the front side of my rear passenger wheel got pushed back about an inch. I tried pushing it back into place but I couldn't get it to go. I think there's a bolt on the bottom that attaches it into place but I can't get under to take a look at it. I've tried searching on Google for the part but I'm not sure what it is called. I'm not available to take a photo of it at the moment but can do it later if nobody on here can figure ot what I'm talking about.

Sigh... now that I had the car out in the light, I can see that it is actually dented and pulled away from that fender guard. I don't even have the car for 2 weeks before I put a dent in it. Can't believe the thing is so low that a curb dents it. Had my last car for 8 years and never put a dent in it. Wonder how much that is gonna cost me to fix it.

Here's the damage. :(

car.jpg

There´s no need to dismantle the quarter panel, or anything...this kind of damage can be repaired easily fro outside, using a spot welder.

A very easy fix!

The price can vary from $100 to 300$...so get many estimates from good quality bodyshops (many low quality bodyshops just fill the damage with 2 kilos of bodyfiller, without repairing the dent).

regards

Kare

There´s no need to dismantle the quarter panel, or anything...this kind of damage can be repaired easily fro outside, using a spot welder.

A very easy fix!

The price can vary from $100 to 300$...so get many estimates from good quality bodyshops (many low quality bodyshops just fill the damage with 2 kilos of bodyfiller, without repairing the dent).

regards

Kare

Oh, well, that's great news. I have no idea how they would use a spot welder to fix it but I know little about such things (being that it's not just a scratch but the body is indented like an inch or so by the time it gets back towards the wheel well). At least it's not very noticeable as-is and you have to look for it to see it.

Not noticeable in this picture.

car3.jpg

Thanks, for the info!

EDIT: Sombody at another forum explained to me what you meant. I didn't know they did such things.

Here's what he said:

"they weld a rod onto the body, and then use a dent puller to yank the dent out, and then set it flush again, cut off the rod, grind down the area, primer, paint, and clear."

Edited by monkeydust

Kare

Here's what he said:

"they weld a rod onto the body, and then use a dent puller to yank the dent out, and then set it flush again, cut off the rod, grind down the area, primer, paint, and clear."

That is indeed what a decent panel beater will do.

Just a thought - it MAY even be a PDR repair if you get the right repairer. That area isn't that noticeable and it's not like the rest of the paint (it has a textured rubberised stone chip coat), so you may get away with it.

I did have another thought today when playing with my 996 though - why don't you bite the bullet and fit aerokit sideskirts? They would completely cover that, and you could always just pop a coat of paint on the scratch to stop any corrosion.

regards

I did have another thought today when playing with my 996 though - why don't you bite the bullet and fit aerokit sideskirts? They would completely cover that, and you could always just pop a coat of paint on the scratch to stop any corrosion.

I think I prefer to keep mine pretty much stock. I'm too old for aerokits and such. :P

The only "mod" I plan on doing in the near term is buying the smartTOP and remoteTOP modules since its a bit of a pain to put the top up/down as it is by putting the parking break on and holding the button in the entire time while it is rising/descending.