Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.4 engine problems fixed in 2001+?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_996

"The engines in the 1999 and 2000 version have a large failure rate due to a design error. This problem was fixed in mid 2000. One will notice the resale price difference with these model years."

I am shopping for a 911 and do not want to replace the engine and can't afford a 02. I just want confirmation that in m/y 2001 the 3.4 issues have been addressed, can't always trust Wikipedia.

"The engines in the 1999 and 2000 version have a large failure rate due to a design error. This problem was fixed in mid 2000. One will notice the resale price difference with these model years."

I am shopping for a 911 and do not want to replace the engine and can't afford a 02. I just want confirmation that in m/y 2001 the 3.4 issues have been addressed, can't always trust Wikipedia.

Same engine in the 2001 as my 1999 except for e-gas. IMHO, Whoever posted that on Wikipedia is smoking crack. ;)

No matter what model year you purchase, an extended warranty is always a good idea. I have a 2000, and have been through the replacement. No fun there, but at least with the extended warranty, you can get back on the road again for less that the $10-$15k replacement cost.

There are actually multiple issues that you may read about with the 3.4, from a slipped cylinder sleeve to a cracked head, or even a bearing failure. I believe each problem was fixed at a different time. I know on my rebuilt 3.4, the bearings have been beefed up to prevent that issue.

Others may be able to comment on specific modifications made to the 3.4 over the years, but honestly, most of us don't know what caused the engine failure, due to the fact that Porsche will not give you the core reimbursement if you open the block.

Bottom line... Get the carfax, a ppi, and an extended warranty if your worried about it.

Happy shopping!

The 996 cars that you race don't suffer from any oil starvation issues as they are rumoured on the web community to suffer from?

The ’99 996’s certainly had issues, but by ’01, it seems they have all been worked out. We ran a 3.4ltr engine with no issues, and later upgraded that car to a 3.6. We never had engine problems with either. The 997 engine is very similar to the late 996 3.6, and while we lost 2 engines at the beginning of the season, a single engine has lasted almost the whole year. The engines are not indestructible, but since ’01, blowing up engines seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranty companies so that would not be an option in my case.

I found some 2000 911's that blew their engines around 70k and had "new" ones put in at the dealer. I would assume any engines a dealer is putting in would have all the upgraded parts (bearings, RMS etc).

I'm not sure if I should target a 2000 with a recent blown engine or just get a 2001 with higher milage they seem to be about equal prices.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranty companies so that would not be an option in my case.

I found some 2000 911's that blew their engines around 70k and had "new" ones put in at the dealer. I would assume any engines a dealer is putting in would have all the upgraded parts (bearings, RMS etc).

I'm not sure if I should target a 2000 with a recent blown engine or just get a 2001 with higher milage they seem to be about equal prices.

If you can swing it, I would seriously consider a 2002 car...they feel different (better) to me.

Same engine in the 2001 as my 1999 except for e-gas. IMHO, Whoever posted that on Wikipedia is smoking crack. ;)

You're smoking crack if you think information on wikipedia is inaccurate! How the hell can you say that !

Every Wikipedia article is written by someone who is a self admitted *expert* iin the topic. Are you saying the expert who wrote that article is wrong ? It's on internet for chrissakes! The infomration is showing up on my computer screen....it has to be right or else the whole system falls apart!

:rolleyes: