Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can I upgrade to wider tires?

Hi all,

My current wheels are the porsche 19" turbo twists (19 x 11 - 64 ET) and I have 275/30/19's on the rears. The tires look really narrow and look actually narrower than the rim itself. Anyway, turns out that my rears have been underinflated for quite a while and I inflated them last week. A day later, I noticed two fat bulges on the inside sidewall of the rears. So to make a long story short, I need to swap them out.

I'd like to go with 295/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires.

The question is whether or not I'll have any issues fitting bigger tires on this wheel. I really want to avoid any rubbing or really bad handling.

Hi all,

My current wheels are the porsche 19" turbo twists (19 x 11 - 64 ET) and I have 275/30/19's on the rears. The tires look really narrow and look actually narrower than the rim itself. Anyway, turns out that my rears have been underinflated for quite a while and I inflated them last week. A day later, I noticed two fat bulges on the inside sidewall of the rears. So to make a long story short, I need to swap them out.

The question is whether or not I'll have any issues fitting bigger tires on this wheel. I really want to avoid any rubbing or really bad handling.

How wide are your fronts? If you increase the width of the rears and keep the fronts the same, you're going to increase the tendency to understeer. I don't know much about 19" wheels (I have 18s for the street and 17s for the track), but I increased the width of my fronts and kept the rears stock. I did this to try to get rid of understeer. It helped.

What kind of car do you have? For the C4S, an 11" wide rear rim from factory comes with 295 wide tires but in 18" diameter.

Since you have 19x11, maybe 315/30/19's would fit better with sufficient sidewall to handle the load the protect the rim.

Hi all,

I don't have much to offer on sizes for your wheels. I do know that 275/30's are too narrow for those rims(but then so do you now, right?) What I wanted to share was the caution not to have two different kinds of tires front and rear. Having tires with different grip, side wall stiffness, and or tread design on the same car could make for some exciting handling characteristics(not my kind of excitement)!

On my 99 c2 rears are 295/30/19s with rg5 champion wheels, they fit perfect. Don't stick out beyond the fender. I don't know what the offset is but wheels are a bit hard to turn when vehicle is on the lift- not a big deal. Front is 235/35/19.

• 3 weeks later...

Just missed driving a DE weekend because I couldn't locate any 315/25/19's in Houston last minute. I needed one for my left rear, as I found a split along the inside edge and some thread showing! From talking with many people at the DE (of course I still went), I learned that this tire is so fat that inside wear is to be expected due to the 'stock' camber on the rears. Bought my 04 C4S as CPO from dealer and it came with 19" HRE's. Love the wheels but after this experience, am getting 18's for track.

Hi I have 235-35-19/295-30-19's and this setup works well on my C2. You should not have and rubbing issues if your wheels are the correct offset. I could actually go with the 305's without a problem and my car is significantly lowered. The rear tire is actually tucked. But my suspension was tuned professionally, so my camber is corrected for it. HTH