Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket Exhaust Options and Opinions

Well the Stebro arrived today after a bit of faffing around, not on Stebro's part - they were very helpful. The shipping company had some "issues" yesterday (when they were supposed to deliver it) so i asked them to deliver to my office. Nothing. Got home tonight and there it was!!!!

First impressions? It looks really well made and much lighter/smaller than stock - quite similar to the Borla exhaust i think. I am going to attempt to swap it out myself either this weekend or the next, once i can persuade someone to give me a hand! If not its off to a garage! Ill try and take some pictures tomorrow to post.

Thanks

Martin

:renntech:

Martin, did you get the sport version or the race version?

I went for the race version, i will try and take some pictures tonight. I am off on travel for a couple of weeks so i think the install is going to have to wait until i get back... :censored:

I was going to do it myself but i spoke with a local garage that apparently specializes in European cars, they reckon around $75 less dyno'ing..... Could be interesting!

Well its fitted - i have to agree with Caffinetrip completely!

Mine is very loud between 2-3k but both before and after it sounds awesome! That being said with the speed limits being around 60Mph here in Virginia you spend a fair amount of time in that rev range. Bit stressed out about my trip so i am saving final judgement until i get back. However, in case anyone is interested, my thoughts so far with the whole Stebro experience are:

Pro's

Looks very well made

Fantastic sound -2k and plus 3k rpm

Fits very well

Dan at Stebro has been very helpful and patient

Cons

VERY loud between 2-3rpm

The shipping mess up (not Stebro's fault)

Packaging could have been better (not boxed but well covered and wrapped in bubble wrap)

Currys Auto (very helpful), who fitted said that it appeared to have been fitted to another car (clamp marks on the pipes) - Since my original post i have contacted Stebro and they are hopefully going to exchange it once i get back to the US.

Will try and post sound clips on my return, if anyone is interested!

Martin

Edited by gristy

• 2 months later...
Well its fitted - i have to agree with Caffinetrip completely!

Mine is very loud between 2-3k but both before and after it sounds awesome! That being said with the speed limits being around 60Mph here in Virginia you spend a fair amount of time in that rev range. Bit stressed out about my trip so i am saving final judgement until i get back. However, in case anyone is interested, my thoughts so far with the whole Stebro experience are:

Pro's

Looks very well made

Fantastic sound -2k and plus 3k rpm

Fits very well

Dan at Stebro has been very helpful and patient

Cons

VERY loud between 2-3rpm

The shipping mess up (not Stebro's fault)

Packaging could have been better (not boxed but well covered and wrapped in bubble wrap)

Currys Auto (very helpful), who fitted said that it appeared to have been fitted to another car (clamp marks on the pipes) - Since my original post i have contacted Stebro and they are hopefully going to exchange it once i get back to the US.

Will try and post sound clips on my return, if anyone is interested!

Martin

any updates on the stebro?

Hey Chaudanova,

Sorry there are two threads running with pretty much the same topic! I ended up replacing the racing version with the sport version, i probably would have suffered but they sent me a used one by accident so i was able to negotiate a swap. The racing one was very loud between 2-3k rpm, however above that i would say it was the best sounding exhaust i have heard - you just had to be above 3k!

Like i said, i now have the sport one fitted and i am very happy with it. The quality is pretty good, the sound is still loud but not intrusive and more importantly it looks great! Here are a couple of pics. (I now have my 04/clear rear light clusters and body colored bumperettes!!!)

post-17742-1195813045_thumb.jpg

This one shows the race exhaust on the floor and the sport exhaust fitted.

post-17742-1195813113_thumb.jpg

I wanted to take a before and after to show how little space the racing one took up but i forgot, this is the underside with the sports exhaust fitted.

If you want/need any more info send me a PM.

Happy thanksgiving!!!

Gristy

Thats odd? Really aftermarket seems to affect cars with other mods, but nothing more.... HUm

Z

I personally have yet to see either an after market or Porsche sport muffler system produce even 1 BHP more than you already had.

For my feelings on some of these hyped products see my blog here.

• 3 months later...

Jim, I liked the video clip and from reading your posts, it definately looks like you know your stuff.

I have an 01 S (same color combo) and love it! How much would that header and exhaust system set me back with installation? Also, was the air intake worth it?

Thanks, Jon

Just checked out that YouTube clip - awesome, probably a tad loud for an everyday drive!!

Just reading your own cars spec, how do you find the Maxspeed that you have? To be brutally honest with you all i am thinking of taking the plunge with the Stebro muffler once i get back to the US from my trip. I will give it some hard thought on the plane, if i do ill post pics and review as soon as its done.

Standby, firing!!

Its an exact copy of the evom exhaust. It's quiet at normal driving and loud when you stop on it. I have a clip on you tube. If you search boxster exhaust on you tube, my youtube name is DSMJim I think. I have a few clips on there from my car.

I would highly recommend the maxspeed exhaust it sounds great looks great, and boy did I feel that extra 5hp hahahaha.

I just finished installing Maxspeed exhaust and oh boy what a sound.

I feel a bit of vibration inside when I step on it and cabin noise increased noticeably but very charming.

Installation was very easy. I would definitely recommend this exhaust if anybody is looking for an aftermarket exhaust.

Sounds like for the money, installing the maxspeed headers and exhaust is a pretty good deal as everyone else's seems to be either way out of the ballpark in terms of cost or resonates like crazy in that 2k-3k rpm range.

I only have one issue with it and that is the fact that the black boxster's maxspeed exhaust in the picture / youtube videos is crooked as hell. They really should redo it as it makes the product appear cheap and have non-fit issues. The only maxspeed I've seen that looks dead-on straight is 986jim's seen above in this thread.

I had thought is would be pretty cool to install the PSE model for my '01 S along with maxspeed headers, just haven't made up my mind yet as it would add an extra 1000 bucks to the bill before install. Any ideas on that? I know it adds a little weight, but that exhaust looks and sounds very nice.

Cheapest I've found the PSE for '00-'02 models is design911 over in the uk. Shipped to me, it's under 1800 bucks usd and that's less than anyone else in the states, including the sunset porsche out in oregon. They quoted 1700 and change plus shipping.

I just finished installing Maxspeed exhaust and oh boy what a sound.

I feel a bit of vibration inside when I step on it and cabin noise increased noticeably but very charming.

Installation was very easy. I would definitely recommend this exhaust if anybody is looking for an aftermarket exhaust.

• 10 years later...