Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Yep I'm doing another engine swap, can we say X-51?

No idea. I value my clutch, tires and trans more than I do having a 0-60 time to brag about online. ;)

:thumbup: This probably rates as the most intelligent comment I've ever read in any online car forum! Todd, I've been extremely impressed with your mechanical knowledge and ability, and here's another side of you to have high regard for :thumbup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No idea. I value my clutch, tires and trans more than I do having a 0-60 time to brag about online. ;)

:thumbup: This probably rates as the most intelligent comment I've ever read in any online car forum! Todd, I've been extremely impressed with your mechanical knowledge and ability, and here's another side of you to have high regard for :thumbup:

+1 on that! :clapping:

Fair play, but I still think if I had supercharged may car, inserted a 3.4 and then a 3.6, creating what is essentially the 986 dream car, I'd have been tempted to have a few timed sessions. Excellent info nonetheless

Don't get the idea, just because I'm not doing 0-60 runs that the car is babied. I'm simply not going to rev it to 3k and slip the clutch to avoid wheelspin (no nanny controls like TC) just to figure out how fast it goes from a dead stop to 60. Trust me, it is fast enough. I don't care what 0-60 is but I can tell you from a rolling start it flies by 60 in no time.

Todd

Fair play, but I still think if I had supercharged may car, inserted a 3.4 and then a 3.6, creating what is essentially the 986 dream car, I'd have been tempted to have a few timed sessions. Excellent info nonetheless

Is there a write up somewhere on what is involved in the 996 into Boxster engine swap. I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 that runs great, but when the motor goes south I would rather do a swap than replace the engine with another 2.7. Maybe I'll just ship the car off to Todd :lol:

Is there a write up somewhere on what is involved in the 996 into Boxster engine swap. I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 that runs great, but when the motor goes south I would rather do a swap than replace the engine with another 2.7. Maybe I'll just ship the car off to Todd :lol:

Basic mechanical how to can be found here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13527

I probably should update it, as I am doing things a bit differently now.

The difficulty in the 3.6 and 3.8 engines into the earlier cars is not in the mechanical aspect as they are the same as the 3.4, it is the electronics.

Todd

You might want to check the date on the original post, the X51 has been in my car for 6 months. I just finished putting my previous non-X51 3.6 in a '98 car that is going up for sale soon.

My car is lowered on H&R springs with new Bilstein Sports, H&R sways front and rear, Ruf wheels 18x8.5 and 18x10 and Tarrett rear toe arms to correct for the lowering.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

Very cool project man! I wish I had done this 2 years ago. Dave in NJ had FVD install a 3.8 in a 2000 S. Many issues revolved around the tuning how did iA overcome this issue?

Edited by JP-"S"

Very cool project man! I wish I had done this 2 years ago. Dave in NJ had FVD install a 3.8 in a 2000 S. Many issues revolved around the tuning how did iA overcome this issue?

You are a little confused, I did the swap not IA. Unlike the swap done by FVD on Dave's car, all my systems work including the cruise control, which last time I heard FVD still hadn't figured out how to get Dave's to work.

Todd

You are a little confused, I did the swap not IA. Unlike the swap done by FVD on Dave's car, all my systems work including the cruise control, which last time I heard FVD still hadn't figured out how to get Dave's to work.

Todd

I know you did the work but I thought iA did the tunning. BTW is this the same Todd from the KCWS?

Todd

I know you did the work but I thought iA did the tunning. BTW is this the same Todd from the KCWS?

No tuning necessary, the car runs a stock 996 program. No I'm not the Todd from KCWS

• 2 weeks later...
Would this be more difficult with an MY2000 egas car?

I'm interested in this as well. Is it as simple as dropping in the later 996 3.6 (997 3.8) engines into the eGas Boxsters? I recall you saying there is a bit more to do when the engine is going into a 2000-2001 Boxster - something about the CAN bus? Did Porsche change to the CAN bus at some point?

This is probably a few years off at best, but I would definitely consider dropping a 3.6/3.8 into my car at some point.

Also, Todd, where do you source your engines?

Thanks,

John

Basic mechanical how to can be found here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13527

I probably should update it, as I am doing things a bit differently now.

The difficulty in the 3.6 and 3.8 engines into the earlier cars is not in the mechanical aspect as they are the same as the 3.4, it is the electronics.

Todd

Does anybody has any idea where I can get the DME connectors for the 7.8 DME?

As I´m installing the 3.8 engine to early 996, I purchased the late DME, but the connectors are different (I need to rewire everything). The problem is I cannot find the connectors (I have the part numbres, but official Porsche dealer here in Spain said the do not exist)!

I´m writing a convesrion chart for the wiring from early to late DME, and right now 85% has been solved....

Saludos

Kare, Spain

The connectors are not available from Porsche. If you use the later engine harness you only need the 9 pin and 40 pin connector from the chassis side. It isn't worth the time and money to modify an early 996 harness to work. I can provide a 3.6L engine harness and the other two connectors if you need them.

-Todd

Does anybody has any idea where I can get the DME connectors for the 7.8 DME?

As I´m installing the 3.8 engine to early 996, I purchased the late DME, but the connectors are different (I need to rewire everything). The problem is I cannot find the connectors (I have the part numbres, but official Porsche dealer here in Spain said the do not exist)!

I´m writing a convesrion chart for the wiring from early to late DME, and right now 85% has been solved....

Saludos

Kare, Spain

Edited by tholyoak

You might want to check the date on the original post, the X51 has been in my car for 6 months. I just finished putting my previous non-X51 3.6 in a '98 car that is going up for sale soon.

My car is lowered on H&R springs with new Bilstein Sports, H&R sways front and rear, Ruf wheels 18x8.5 and 18x10 and Tarrett rear toe arms to correct for the lowering.

Todd

Todd,

Would you be interested in working on my '97 with botched engine swap from 986 forum (3.4 swap turned out to be 3.2 with nonfunctioning Variocam). I am also interested in your 3.6 car.

John Howar

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
Dear fellow members  Since the post here is on engine swaps i don t know if anyone can help me .Two years ago i bought a 2001 996 turbo that was fitted in 2007 with new gearbox and in 2008 with new engine .the dealer showed me at the time some papers from Germany of the import of the two parts . I was also confirmed this from the other dealer that actually fitted the new engine and gearbox .That dealer had stamped the service book with this change handwritten. I asked various times to send me the original papers ( the dealer i bought it from ) but he did t do it and now he says he does t have

them . is there any VIN number of the engine and the gearbox that someone can check it ? or how can someone confirm this ...i am looking to sell it ...i know that the change is real is just for the new buyer

• Admin

Dear fellow members  Since the post here is on engine swaps i don t know if anyone can help me .Two years ago i bought a 2001 996 turbo that was fitted in 2007 with new gearbox and in 2008 with new engine .the dealer showed me at the time some papers from Germany of the import of the two parts . I was also confirmed this from the other dealer that actually fitted the new engine and gearbox .That dealer had stamped the service book with this change handwritten. I asked various times to send me the original papers ( the dealer i bought it from ) but he did t do it and now he says he does t have

them . is there any VIN number of the engine and the gearbox that someone can check it ? or how can someone confirm this ...i am looking to sell it ...i know that the change is real is just for the new buyer

VIN is not on the engine or transmission but each do have a model and serial number.

The model and serial number can be used to get the approximate date of the build or re-build.

Carefully copy those down and then post them here and we can lookup and tell all that we can.