Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Watched it burn today

I had the disheartening experience of watching my 99 996 burn today. I was driving down the road, and all of a sudden the dash lights came on and the engine died. I managed to make it thru the light and around a corner. The dash was smoking thru the AC vents. I popped the hood and checked the battery....no smoke or sparks. Went back to the car and it was burning under the dash.....dropping firebombs of burning plastic onto the floorboards. I tried to stomp it out but the stuff was like liquid napalm. The car started filling with smoke, so I wend in thru the passengers side and started hauling out my paperwork and glasses etc from the center console.....all of a sudden BAM...the air bag on the steering wheel deployed and hit me in the side of the head. It was a glancing blow thank goodness or it could have broken my dogone neck. I have a fused spine at C4 and that could have paralyzed me.

At any rate....an unmarked CHP car came up and the fellow hit it with some extinguisher dust that effectively turned my car into a barn find. I'm afraid the car is toast....so I'll be looking for a twin turbo to replace it.

Just a reminder to those of you out there who think it will never happen....don't cheap out...go buy a good Halon extinguisher, and if the car catches fire inside....remember to watch out for the air bags....they can be very dangerous if they hit you just right.

Chuck

I had the disheartening experience of watching my 99 996 burn today. I was driving down the road, and all of a sudden the dash lights came on and the engine died. I managed to make it thru the light and around a corner. The dash was smoking thru the AC vents. I popped the hood and checked the battery....no smoke or sparks. Went back to the car and it was burning under the dash.....dropping firebombs of burning plastic onto the floorboards. I tried to stomp it out but the stuff was like liquid napalm. The car started filling with smoke, so I wend in thru the passengers side and started hauling out my paperwork and glasses etc from the center console.....all of a sudden BAM...the air bag on the steering wheel deployed and hit me in the side of the head. It was a glancing blow thank goodness or it could have broken my dogone neck. I have a fused spine at C4 and that could have paralyzed me.

At any rate....an unmarked CHP car came up and the fellow hit it with some extinguisher dust that effectively turned my car into a barn find. I'm afraid the car is toast....so I'll be looking for a twin turbo to replace it.

Just a reminder to those of you out there who think it will never happen....don't cheap out...go buy a good Halon extinguisher, and if the car catches fire inside....remember to watch out for the air bags....they can be very dangerous if they hit you just right.

Chuck

Chuck,

What a drag. I’m so sorry to hear about your car but I’m glad that you weren’t injured. A TT will be good therapy.

Good luck.

Wow Chuck sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. Air bags can be very dangerous. I have heard that couple of years ago Porsche tech got killed by one of those. TT will make up for all your troubles. I'm glad to see that you are a true Porsche guy.

Wow Chuck sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. Air bags can be very dangerous. I have heard that couple of years ago Porsche tech got killed by one of those. TT will make up for all your troubles. I'm glad to see that you are a true Porsche guy.

Chuck:

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate event. Glad that you weren't banged up any worse than the shot you got from the airbag. Fire is a very scary thing, and the advice you give about having a halon fire extinguisher is worth its weight in gold.

What's the situation with your insurance?

As the other members have said, can't think of any better therapy than a TT.

Regards, Maurice.

Guys: I'm driving out to Niello Porsche tomorrow to take pictures and try to find out what started the fire. I'll be sure to follow up and post my findings to you folks. Since I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else, it would appear, at least preliminarily......that this is a one time anomaly and not somehting that is a recurring event.

I will keep you posted....especially because it involves a safety issue...not to mention the heartbreak of watching your pride and joy go up in smoke.

For the record....there were NO electrical mods or aftermarket devices in there. I had a CDR 220 Porsce radio...so whatever went wrong involved OEM stuff....whatever it was.

In spite of the loss.....I am looking forward to getting the insurance out of the way and chasing down a really nice 996TT hopefully with the X50 option.

chuck

Wow! Glad you were not hurt Chuck, that is the most important point. Your reaction is excellent, "time of upgrading". I am sure you have the knowledge to investigate the root cause, from your former work.

Anyways, I think The Collection in Miami has some TT on sale....... :rolleyes: just kidding. And great advise about the fire extenguisher, I always thought guys had those on their street cars to impress the ladies only......