Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with buying...

I'm looking into buying a used 911 Cabrio, either 05/06/07.

I'm not set on an S or non S but pretty sure I'll go with a stick versus Tip.

I'm coming out of a 2003 M3 Convertible with SMG and live in So. CA and it will be a weekend car.

I would really appreciate any and all advice on...

1) - Since it looks to be about 10k more, should I go with an S over a non S

2) - Is there a list of things I should specifically look at or do when inspecting one?

3) - Since I'm leaning towards a stick, how would you suggest that I ensure the clutch is in decent condition?

Hi! You will definitely enjoy jumping from the M3 club to the Porsche club of fortunate drivers. I also owned an M3, but to me Porsche is Porsche and will always Porsche. I currently drive a 2006 C4S, and used to have a 996 C4, so I experienced both the S and non S. Both versions were and are amazing, it is a matter of preference. Indeed the S is slighly more aggressive, but then again even a regular carrera will give you the thrill with or without the top down. Now, as for stick over non stick, stick is the way to go without any doubt. Porsche are built and meant to be driven with a stick...that is when you will feel trully in connection with the car. If I was you, I would buy one from a reputable dealer, and either buy or negociate a certification in the deal, it will give you peace of mind, and guarentee in case of eventual issues. Indeed Porsche are very reliable and brute cars that can be abused and driven hard, but unless you know exactely who and how the car was driven, I would prefer to go to a Porsche certified dealer. It may cost you a few dollars more, but in the long run, it would be much safer.

Hope my two cents will help you to make a sound decision, but definitely the best was convincing yourself to get a Porsche...

Good Luck

Porschester

Hi! You will definitely enjoy jumping from the M3 club to the Porsche club of fortunate drivers. I also owned an M3, but to me Porsche is Porsche and will always Porsche. I currently drive a 2006 C4S, and used to have a 996 C4, so I experienced both the S and non S. Both versions were and are amazing, it is a matter of preference. Indeed the S is slighly more aggressive, but then again even a regular carrera will give you the thrill with or without the top down. Now, as for stick over non stick, stick is the way to go without any doubt. Porsche are built and meant to be driven with a stick...that is when you will feel trully in connection with the car. If I was you, I would buy one from a reputable dealer, and either buy or negociate a certification in the deal, it will give you peace of mind, and guarentee in case of eventual issues. Indeed Porsche are very reliable and brute cars that can be abused and driven hard, but unless you know exactely who and how the car was driven, I would prefer to go to a Porsche certified dealer. It may cost you a few dollars more, but in the long run, it would be much safer.

Hope my two cents will help you to make a sound decision, but definitely the best was convincing yourself to get a Porsche...

Good Luck

Porschester

Thanks for the feedback... I really appreciate it and it sounds like smart advice.

I agree with you 100% about the stick, the ONLY reason I was even concidering a Tip was to not worry about the clutch on a used purchase.

Is there something I can read that would tell me more about the Porsche "certification"?

One other thing though...there was no convincing necessary to decide on a Porsche next, it was the obvious choice :-)))

Thanks again!!!

Nick

Edited by NickD

Hi Nick.

I dont know where you live, but my best advice would be for you to visit a cerified used/new porsche dealer and further learn about the advantages of a certified Porsche. In essence the dealer shows, that the car has been inspected extensively, and that all mechanical, and electric conponents have positively passed the inspection. Also since you mentioned an 05-06 or 07, unless the car has a lot of miles, I beleive it should still be covered under the warranty. After that you can always purchase an extended bumper to bumper warranty and sleep peacefully.

So in summary, go visit your nearest Porsche dealer and keep us updated.

Cheers

Porschester

Edited by porschester

I recently (two weeks ago) went through a similar decision. I ended out purchasing a 2006 Carrera (not an S) from Rusnak in Westlake (it's a little north of LA for you non-Californians). The car had less than 10k miles and came certified, with a Porsche warranty that will run 6 yrs / 100k miles from initial purchase (i.e., in 2006). I shopped around and found out what I wanted, negotiated and got what looks to be a very fair price.

I went for a late 06 over an 05, because I wanted as little wear as possible and I didn't want to buy the first year of the 997. I also read on the PCA site -- don't know if its true -- that 06's do not have RMS issues.

I didn't get an S, simply because the increase in power and general performance was not worth it to me at this point. I am a pretty good driver, but I am honest enough with myself to realize that I currently can only use a fraction of the regular 911's awesome capabilities. Maybe I will think differently when it comes time for my second Porsche.

As for stick v. tip, I think you just have to go for a manual transmission. The 997 shifter and transmission is slick, and connects you with the car. Even in manual shift mode, a tip is less connected, imo, not to mention slower. I generally feel that sports cars should be manual.

I've heard that clutch wear can result in the clutch engaging higher. So, the car won't start moving until the clutch is significantly higher. Someone more knowlegeable may be able to confirm this. I think a clutch job will run ~$750 for parts plus service. It's not an insignificant expense, but it wouldn't be a huge percentage of your car purchase.

Finally, I would advise you to try out different dealers and find someone who appears to be honest and reasonable, and willing to be fair concerning price. I was very disappointed with some of the Porsche dealers I encountered. I was not about to buy an expensive car from someone who was condescending, dishonest, unknowlegable, etc. Life is too short.

Anyway, congratulations on your impending purchase.

Edited by 997, Esq.

I sincerely agree with 997,Esq.......The manual transmition will make you so much more connected with your Porsche. The shifting is a unique part of the experience when driving such a marvelous car. Shop around, and you will find what you want. A huge percentage of old Porsche are still running as smooth as new, so personaly an 04-05-06 with fair mileage is still a cub.

Good Luck

Porschester

Thanks everyone, you definitely helped with the trans decision...it will definitely be a stick.

I guess I was just scared that a new clutch would cost a few grand like a Ferrari. At less than a grand, it's a no brainer.

As far as an S or not...I think this will come down to finding the right car (color & options) with the right price.

I'm set on either Red or White with preferably a black interior and I really want the Sport seats. It would be perfect to find one with a Short Shifter and Sport Exhaust.

I live in Anaheim Hills (So. CA), if anyone knows of such a car, please let me know:

NDeNapoli@SprintPCS.com

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick,

The tip is not bad. I have over 33,000 miles and drive

all of the bay area. I have also done seven time-trial

events. I put more miles on my car and watch guys resting

their left foot because of the 100 f temperatures. My

next car will be a stick but I do enjoy the tip alot.

Paul

I'm looking into buying a used 911 Cabrio, either 05/06/07.

I'm not set on an S or non S but pretty sure I'll go with a stick versus Tip.

I'm coming out of a 2003 M3 Convertible with SMG and live in So. CA and it will be a weekend car.

I would really appreciate any and all advice on...

1) - Since it looks to be about 10k more, should I go with an S over a non S

2) - Is there a list of things I should specifically look at or do when inspecting one?

3) - Since I'm leaning towards a stick, how would you suggest that I ensure the clutch is in decent condition?

Greetings,

My 2 cents worth: Stick, an " S " for sure, unless you plan on keeping it for a long while...the " S" , besides having slightly more HP (35??)has additional items such as larger wheels , xenon headlights and better resale attraction. The single most important issue that I see, even on a low milage car, would be to ask for a " fault " report, which would include information about stage 1 through stage 6 over-revs.. This report alone would give great insight as to how the car was driven and if a downshift was missed or the rev limiter was hit and the number of times relative to a time factor this occured. A good Porsche mechanic could tell you if the car was abused. I would go over the finish big time...a wax job hides a lot of blems. Check the non- exposed paint areas, such as under the hood and compare the color to that of the exterior..any fading?? Don't shop at night .I talked to the service manager at my Porsche dealership and discussed yearly milage. His feelings were that these cars fit into a category... those that were lovingly cared for had less that 6K miles per year. I'd use that as a guide. I have a 2006 C2S that I took delivery of on September 30, 2005. I have 2834 miles on it ..okay so it's a garage queen... I don't have the time to drive it as much as I'd like to and I work 3 blocks from my home and would not even warm it up....even so I am having the 20,000mile, 2 year service done next month..an inexpensive insurance policy on a great car.. Good luck in finding your dream car, I've owned a few Porsches but the 997 is truely the best. There have been very, very few issues on these cars and they are really built! Unfortunately the great majority of us will never experince the true potential that these cars offer... 120 mph scared the crap out of me, but I'm older now .. the grim reapers seems too close as it is... be careful out there.

Chromedome North County San Diego

Hi Nick

I have owned 997 manual, 997C2 Tip and currently drive C2S manual. Had tip for 3 months and it is sooo disconnected and wrong for the car imho.

Biggest difference with C2S over C2 (in UK at least) is the PASM standard on C2S. Mine is is a daily driver and the normal PASM setting makes the car much better on our poor roads. Switch to sport when you need to be on it - :) .

I had M3 then M5 before the Porsches and Porsche in a different league.

Have fun ith either model, just make sure it is a manual (stick) - oh and get the factory sports exhaust - sounds great!!