Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Nav-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some interest in setting up a group buy. I'd be happy to help. Who is interested?

...and the price of the group buy would be?

I don't know, I'm not a seller. I'm just offering to organize a group buy.

To make a case to Nav-TV, we'd need a bunch of people to say they are interested.

Then I'll talk to them and figure out the price.

Note: I have no financial interest (gain or loss) in this.

tmc

Actually, I may move it to the steering wheel housing - i like the OEM type look.

I did investigate how the housing was assembled. Two things stopped me for the moment. 1. i don't know how much room is underneath the housing; e.g, is there enough room to mount the nav-tv mic since it's about 1/2 inch high. 2. there's been some discussion on the location that gives the best audio to the person on the other end. Supposedly the overhead position is better but i don't know that for a fact.

the instructions for the navtv mic indicate that they reccommend install near the overhead console. i'd prefer the OEM location

Actually, I may move it to the steering wheel housing - i like the OEM type look.

I did investigate how the housing was assembled. Two things stopped me for the moment. 1. i don't know how much room is underneath the housing; e.g, is there enough room to mount the nav-tv mic since it's about 1/2 inch high. 2. there's been some discussion on the location that gives the best audio to the person on the other end. Supposedly the overhead position is better but i don't know that for a fact.

the instructions for the navtv mic indicate that they reccommend install near the overhead console. i'd prefer the OEM location

that mic doesn't look like the one i have on my tooki. Is it a different mic ? Mine has a clip and a swivel to adjust the mic.

That looks like the microphone I got with the Tooki. Here's my install location - very similar to Bob's. Scuzy - I'd be interested in a picture of yours. Moni (CEO of NAV-TV) has confirmed that this is the part he selected - it's an Ericsson part. See http://navtv.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0

Top up, on the freeway at highway speeds, two reports now have said that the conversation is perfectly understandable. One said it sounded like a speakerphone, the other said it sounded like a normal cellphone call. I haven't tried top down yet.

post-16705-1197900072_thumb.jpg

That looks like the microphone I got with the Tooki. Here's my install location - very similar to Bob's. Scuzy - I'd be interested in a picture of yours. Moni (CEO of NAV-TV) has confirmed that this is the part he selected - it's an Ericsson part. See http://navtv.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0

Top up, on the freeway at highway speeds, two reports now have said that the conversation is perfectly understandable. One said it sounded like a speakerphone, the other said it sounded like a normal cellphone call. I haven't tried top down yet.

Maybe i should velcro the mic onto the top instead of cliping it into the sun visor.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up to ask if any one knows how to remove the cowling around the steering wheel to get to the OEM mic locations. Gonna try this mic location if (1) i can figure out how to get it apart (2) see if there is enough room underneath to fit the tooki mic.

If 1 and 2 work, i'll post pics

bob

Bumping this back up to ask if any one knows how to remove the cowling around the steering wheel to get to the OEM mic locations. Gonna try this mic location if (1) i can figure out how to get it apart (2) see if there is enough room underneath to fit the tooki mic.

If 1 and 2 work, i'll post pics

bob

1. Extend out the steering column to allow better access.

2. Unscrew fastrening screws on the steering column trim panel and remove the upper part of the steering column trim panel.

3. Fit the microphone into the upper part of the trim panel and secure.

4. Route the wiring round to the PCM tooki unit.

5. Refit trim panel and adjust steering column.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered my TOOKI Bluetooth kit for my 2006 997 C4 Cab Tip, and in a fit of inspiration, I also ordered the OEM multi-function steering wheel with phone + volume controls etc to be able to control things right from the steering wheel. I will try to get them to put the mic in the steering column when the OEM mic is supposed to go if possible.

Thanks to you guys in the forums here for pointing out this whole solution. Should be sweet when it's all done.

I also ordered the new Porsche NAV update fo good measure. I already have the Porsche OEM Sirius Sat kit installed and the NAV-TV iPod/iPhone interface, so I'll be good to go with this update!

I'll post back on how it all works together once this last batch of stuff is installed.

Damon

• 3 months later...

Hi, anyone managed to get a Nokia N95 phonebook to operate with a Tooki, I can push the contacts to the Tooki but when I lock and leave the car on return the phone book has been forgotten. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hi, anyone managed to get a Nokia N95 phonebook to operate with a Tooki, I can push the contacts to the Tooki but when I lock and leave the car on return the phone book has been forgotten. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

that's the way they all work. the phone book is retained in the phone, not the PCM. so it has to reload everytime you turn on the car. minor inconvenience given the tooki's utility

Ok, I'm installed and it's all goodness.

I always seem to be an early adopter that gets to find some bugs, and this was no exception. I got some bad hardware, and they issued a recall on Feb 22, 2008 for a bunch of units and mine was affected. There were a couple rapid-fire softwrae updates that luckily didn't require dealer install/uninstall (laptop and Bluetooth are all that's needed to update the Tooki's SW).

That fixed a bunch of serious bugs (the last update was May 27, 2008 as of this writing). It's all finally working in peace.

I have the mic installed just left of the HomeLink overhead panel. Works great with the top up. The noise cancellation is so good, people have NO IDEA I'm driving! I contacted another Tooki user and he otiginally had the mic installed in the OEM steering wheel position, and he said it sucked and had it moved to the HomeLink position as well later and it was the best spot for him as well.

HOWEVER...with the top DOWN in my Cabriolet, unless I'm at a stop light, the other end of the call can barely make out my voice due to the severe noise (wind noise is too much for it I expect).

I can live with that though. Even my Jawbone BT headset can't kill the wind noise, and is overwhelmed, so no suprise there.

Overall: if you're buying one now with the latest updates, check the compat list for your device (I've heard a few folks have problems parining or getting functioinality on some devices) and you should be good to go.

I also added the Porsche multi-function steering wheel (I have a Tip so it also has gear shift buttons) and it all works great. I can control the telephone functions from the steering wheel, and since I have the Nav-TV iPod OP-iP unit as well, that my iPhone mounts into, I have iPod from my phone and full funcytionality of my iPhone, and the main controls are from the steering wheel.

Hope this helps someone looking to marry the iPhone and 997. They're GREAT together :)

Damon

I've just ordered my TOOKI Bluetooth kit for my 2006 997 C4 Cab Tip, and in a fit of inspiration, I also ordered the OEM multi-function steering wheel with phone + volume controls etc to be able to control things right from the steering wheel. I will try to get them to put the mic in the steering column when the OEM mic is supposed to go if possible.

Thanks to you guys in the forums here for pointing out this whole solution. Should be sweet when it's all done.

I also ordered the new Porsche NAV update fo good measure. I already have the Porsche OEM Sirius Sat kit installed and the NAV-TV iPod/iPhone interface, so I'll be good to go with this update!

I'll post back on how it all works together once this last batch of stuff is installed.

Damon

that's the way they all work. the phone book is retained in the phone, not the PCM. so it has to reload everytime you turn on the car. minor inconvenience given the tooki's utility

Yes, but not quite. With a Nokia 6233 for example when the Tooki pairs with it the phone book is automatically "synced" with the Tooki and the phone book is there to be used. With my N95 this sync process seems to not take place, i.e. after the pairing process the phone book is not there nor can it be pulled by the Tooki. The only way to get the phone book on the Tooki is to select all the phone book on the N95 and send to the Tooki as business cards via bluetooth and believe me this is a process you would not be bothered with every time you got in the car.

The software in the N95 is not fully compatible with the Tooki and is not mentioned on the nav.tv list of tested phones. I am in contact with Nav.tv trying various software updates for the Tooki and N95 but as yet no luck. Will post any news. Any other N95 experiences out there? Cheers to all.