Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

4 Things I'd Like to Fix on My 99Six

Silver 2001 C2 Coupe 6 speed with black interior in Fresno area here with a select list of 4 minor gripes after owning the car for exactly 30 days. If you have experience with any of these issues, I'd be grateful to hear about your solutions. Disclaimer: These are minor problems and overall I'm thrilled with this spectacular machine...but, as with anything, there's always room for special improvements:

1) No gas gun ever let's my car fill up! I have to spend 3 minutes "massaging" the trigger to release gas into the tank until it invariably spills over. Why do these guns think the tank's full when it's barely half way there?

2) The internals of my doors make a rattling noise to vibrations, especially the stereo's lows. Are there professionals who specialize in silencing this rattling?

3) Passenger seat leather is hardened. How did this happen to one seat, while the other (the important one, thank god) remained plush?

4) I don't smoke and sometimes it pisses me off that there's a vestigial ashtray in my car. Has anyone else modified that space for anything useful?

Thanks for your expertise in advance!post-23225-1191221477_thumb.jpg

1) I have no clue. Mine fills up nicely once I've found the best nozzle position. If I don't it won't even stay on 'auto fillup' for more than a second.

2) In my case it were the screws of the speakers which had come loose. 20min job for one door. I think there's a thread somewhere showing disassembly of the door.

3) No idea, maybe it was treated with the wrong product before or the previous owner always had the same parking spot only exposing the passenger seat. Use a good leather care milk. Can't recommend anything since the one I use is only sold in Germany.

4) I have a Bluetooth Handsfree set installed and put the RC in the ashtray (SonyEricsson HCB-300) . Fits nicely.

Edited by toddel68

There is a "smokers delete" kit that replaces the ashtray with a small compartment, great for coins, cell phone, peanut M&Ms in long trips. Then you can leave the lighter in place, replace it with a porsche flashlight (see paragon products, about $39), or put in the plug that comes with the "delete" kit. The plug needs some simple shaving to fit in.

I can help you with the leather problem

Someone posted this product months ago on this forum. It is the best stuff Ihave ever used. Here is a link to their site http://www.advleather.com/

My advice would be to call them and tell them your situation. They are very helpful and can recommend the right product.

Their site is kind of campy but their products are excellent. Follow the automotive link on the left side menu.

Phillipj

If he is "pissed" off that there is an ashtray in the car, he will become suicidal now that it was pointed out that his bumper color does not match the rest of the car. :rolleyes:

I'm not even a little pissed about that one, cause the color's fine...it must have been the lighting around the time I took the photo outside. I'm around plenty of P-enthusiasts who probably would have brought it up even if I wasn't very sensitive to the subtlety of a color difference. Thanks for your constructive help on this thread.

I forgot:

5) Become a contributing member to see TSBs and stuff and support Loren.

1a) Get clear sidemarkers

Nice call on the side markers, toddel! I've never even seen them until you pointed them out, and now they're like cold sores on the lips of my 996. Eeew! Any other quick fixes you can suggest?

If he is "pissed" off that there is an ashtray in the car, he will become suicidal now that it was pointed out that his bumper color does not match the rest of the car. :rolleyes:

I'm not even a little pissed about that one, cause the color's fine...it must have been the lighting around the time I took the photo outside. I'm around plenty of P-enthusiasts who probably would have brought it up even if I wasn't very sensitive to the subtlety of a color difference. Thanks for your constructive help on this thread.

I'm surpised you think that the color is fine, as it is not. Many of the Artic Silver cars came with the front bumper improperly painted. Right color, but layed down in the wrong direction. Mine came that way and dealer had to repaint before deliverly.

As far as the leather goes, saturate the seat with mink oil like you would a baseball glove. Let it sit for a day. Rub it in real well and wipe clean using a good leather conditioner.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

I'm surpised you think that the color is fine, as it is not. Many of the Artic Silver cars came with the front bumper improperly painted. Right color, but layed down in the wrong direction. Mine came that way and dealer had to repaint before deliverly.

As far as the leather goes, saturate the seat with mink oil like you would a baseball glove. Let it sit for a day. Rub it in real well and wipe clean using a good leather conditioner.

I guess you're right, although I sincerely can't tell the difference, except in that photograph. It's probably among the last on my list of things to do. If the nose was painted beige, it would be closer to my top 5. Thanks for the tip, though. Kind of a silly factory oversight for Porsche! I'd even be surprised if KIA let that slide.

Team996, dont let them rattle your cage, the bumper is obviously in shade as you can see the 'flat bits' under the headlights and the edge where the side repeaters are perfectly fine. You cannot tell from a photo anyway, and having had experience with Porsche 'official' approved body repairers NOT painting bumpers the right colour i know the score. Get a sunny day (in direct sunlight, then not direct sunlight) and look if there is a contrast diference between bonnet and bumper and then wing and bumper (at the side where repeaters are). Check different angles, then if you cant tell, there you go. Incidentally, i've found that silver normally goes 'lighter' NOT darker likewise with Lapis Blue both of which i have had experience with.

If you listen to these guys, it looks like they will have you believe that the bonnet on the right front portion has a square patch that is the wrong colour too. :-)

Silver 2001 C2 Coupe 6 speed with black interior in Fresno area here with a select list of 4 minor gripes after owning the car for exactly 30 days. If you have experience with any of these issues, I'd be grateful to hear about your solutions. Disclaimer: These are minor problems and overall I'm thrilled with this spectacular machine...but, as with anything, there's always room for special improvements:

1) No gas gun ever let's my car fill up! I have to spend 3 minutes "massaging" the trigger to release gas into the tank until it invariably spills over. Why do these guns think the tank's full when it's barely half way there?

2) The internals of my doors make a rattling noise to vibrations, especially the stereo's lows. Are there professionals who specialize in silencing this rattling?

3) Passenger seat leather is hardened. How did this happen to one seat, while the other (the important one, thank god) remained plush?

4) I don't smoke and sometimes it pisses me off that there's a vestigial ashtray in my car. Has anyone else modified that space for anything useful?

Thanks for your expertise in advance!post-23225-1191221477_thumb.jpg

Re ashtray, get a nice shiny blue Motorola KXR. It fits snuggly into open tray. 997 tray is half width for some reason and so my phone won't fit.. much to the disappointment of my local dealer when I went for test drive the other day B)