Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing The Becker Head Unit

Hi guys,

I am adding the rear speaker kit this weekend and I just realized the Becker office in NJ are closed for the entire weekend starting today at 4PM.

Can I remove the Becker radio using a regular removal tool or does it have to be the Becker specific one?

Thank you so much,

Gustavo

:renntech:

You'll need keys to do it, but they are generic VW/Audi/Porsche radio removal keys and look like this:

146f_2.JPG

and go into the slots in the bottom corners of the radio. Once in, insert a screwdriver to pull with. Once out, push the blue tabs on the side to release the keys before re-insterting radio. Most installers have 'em and I'm sure for a few $ they'll let you borrow them for a minute or to just to get the h/u released.

If you bought the rear kit from PNP, he usually includes a set of keys at no charge.

NOTE - if you have an '03-04 Boxster, you'll be hooking up the speakers to the amp anyways and really don't need to remove the h/u except to gain a little more working room.... thought I'd add that JIC.

You'll need keys to do it, but they are generic VW/Audi/Porsche radio removal keys and look like this:

and go into the slots in the bottom corners of the radio. Once in, insert a screwdriver to pull with. Once out, push the blue tabs on the side to release the keys before re-insterting radio. Most installers have 'em and I'm sure for a few $ they'll let you borrow them for a minute or to just to get the h/u released.

If you bought the rear kit from PNP, he usually includes a set of keys at no charge.

NOTE - if you have an '03-04 Boxster, you'll be hooking up the speakers to the amp anyways and really don't need to remove the h/u except to gain a little more working room.... thought I'd add that JIC.

Thank you very much Cassiebox,

I am gonna get the generic VW keys, since I actually fabricated the kit myself and hooking it up to the HU (I have a 01 Boxster).

I will let you know how it goes.

Gustavo

Edited by gandrade1

• Moderators

I have heard of people shoving nail files, shirt collar stays, and other stuff into the slots. I have never tried this because I have the correct removal keys. The correct keys lock into the head so you can pull the head out.

When I bought a Becker Traffic Pro from Crutchfield there were universal keys in the box.

I know the key from the correct Audi will work. Did not know if it was also used by VW.

Do you live near Becker in N.J.? I think Becker has been owned by Harman Kardon for several years.

post-4-1191707537_thumb.jpg

post-23680-1191707274_thumb.jpgHey Gustavo, I've removed many of em. I just use a long knife blade,skinny enough to fit the side slot. All you have to is trigger that blue tab on both side

Hi guys,

I am adding the rear speaker kit this weekend and I just realized the Becker office in NJ are closed for the entire weekend starting today at 4PM.

Can I remove the Becker radio using a regular removal tool or does it have to be the Becker specific one?

Thank you so much,

Gustavo

:renntech:

I think Becker has been owned by Harman Kardon for several years.

Correct sir. I worked for Harman International for ten years and I worked with them when they bought out Becker around 2001 or 2002. Harman also owns the Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, and Mark Levinson brand names (plus many more). It's a pity I didn't own my Porsche back then as we used to have Becker head units and CD changers floating around the office.

Kirk