Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Desnorkle Your 986

Are there any special directions for a 1997 986? After I pulled off the outer grill there is still a large plastic cover held on by a screw and a couple of tabs. This cover blocking the snorkle looks like it is molded in. I just want to make sure that if I tear out this piece I will be able to de-snorkle the car otherwise I will just leave it stock. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carpediemgr

the 4 hp is the biggest myth lol

just a bit more aggressive sound if sound makes someone believe that the car go faster lollll

the first cars dont have a snorkel but after some burning boxsters because of the cigarettes gone to the paper airfilter porsche put that protective think

a lot of water will come to filter and ingine in car wash too if you remove it

guys try to make something aggressive to the car like compressoring it or put aggresive cumshafts dont believe myths of increasing horsepower with airfilters or de snorkeling or with some better wires and more electrical power this is for kids

just myths

michael

• 1 month later...

I just did this mod last night, didn't expect more power just wanted a little more sound for my ears :)

In terms of sound, I liked the results, I don't really see water being too much of an issue given the actual setup, but then again, I wouldn't stand there and run the garden hose on the vent forever either.

As far as the uninstallation of the snorkel, I'd recommend that you pull up and down because of the orientation of the two locking tabs. I actually broke the top one on the way out. But then again, I really don't plan on ever putting it back for it isn't an issue. (usually these things bother me, but I've learned that a 10 year old car can't really be perfect)

Getting the vent off the ring proved to be hard for me this time. (For one, I couldn't see where the tabs were (4). I consulted my Bentley manual but it didn't have a good picture and only talked about "unclipping" the two clips on the back (as opposed to the ones up front, closer to front of car).

I ordered a new vent from Sunset and will replace that shorly as I snapped one of the vent bars. no biggie.

• 2 months later...

Would any one have a picture of the side vent from behind?. Specifically one from an 02. I've been probing with my fingers but i'm not able to locate the 3 tabs. There is a fair bit of foam in there and I can't tell if the tabs are forward of the foam or behind it.

Thanks, Jim

I answered my own question. The vent/molding is separate from the grill. For some reason I had always thought it was a one piece deal. I took some pictures of the grill showing the 3 struts and a couple shots of the backside of the vent if anyone is interested.

• 2 months later...

There is a restrictor plate on your 987.

think U need to read this thread,,,

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...&hl=mystery

Hi new to this forum, just got an 08 Boxster-s 3.4L. Does this have the same "snorkel". Doe sit work better than just adding a free flowing BMC filter or better for both? Will it make my dealer "mad" if I take it out?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
... I believe Porsche upgraded in 2003 model, sound muffler that is Im talking about. But I'm not 100% positive....

You're correct-- I went to de-snorkel my 2003 Boxster today and to my surprize, I found a grill behind my vent (attached with a screw on the top)! Also, the snorkel looked a bit different from the 3rd image juniinc posted in the 1st post of this thread.

I modified his photo to show the endcup that is missing from my 2003.

post-32592-1229330142_thumb.jpg

Again, my snorkel looks the same as the pre-2003 (pictured above), just without the bottom "cup" at the vent end.

Has anyone pulled the snorkel out of a 2003?

Does it still improve the sound even though the “cup” is not on the 2003 model?

I'll see if I can take a photo of it.

Edited by skidog326

• 8 months later...

The MYO3 grill has the slats at the front, is it still removed in the same fashion? I had a decent go at it today but it seems to be stuck firm in the top right & bottom left corners. Is there a sequence people have used to remove (eg: pull this corner first, etc)??

• 8 months later...

Hey y'all, I would like to de-snorkel my car, but I'm having some issues removing the vent. There seems to be a rubber plate that I'm having trouble getting my hands under to reach the clips. From what I felt around the backside of the vent there didn't appear to be any clips. After I take the one screw out the top right corner has some movement in and out, but the rest of it is pretty solid. Any suggestions?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...