Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2008 Special Edition

I apologise for the hijack but I need to remove the tray found just below the switch refered to as 'sport', I want to install a small switch for a FM modulator. Try as I might I can see how to get the tray out, it looks as though the trim around the shifter might have to come off too?

Naughty Naughty....

But, if you remove the side trims and loosen the screws to the tray it should jsut come out. Switches above just pull out too.

Pop

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Pop, I sent you a PM...

Nick, I saw the SE in the local showroom yesterday, I must retract my comment about not liking the orange, it is much like the intensity of the speed yellow (which I have), actually looks nice.

The non-S here has 18" Cayman wheels on it, black accented but the top surface of each of the spoke is silver, black mirrors and of course the Boxster logo is black.

What I especially liked was the look of the orange accents inside the cockpit, nice touch! Also the Alcantra (sp?) on the seat surfaces, the handbrake, the shifter and boot, and the steering wheel.

Oh yeah, and I really like the rear facia/spoiler treatment, very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
The non-S here has 18" Cayman wheels on it, black accented but the top surface of each of the spoke is silver, black mirrors and of course the Boxster logo is black.

My wife saw one of these while we were shopping for a gray S, & fell in love with it. I protested mildly because it wasn't an S and I had said that was the only way I could stand trading in our modified C5 (or so I thought). I slept on it overnight (really bummed about not having the S bits), but thought, "Happy wife, happy life" and we went and got it the next day.

We like the "retro" look of the silver accented wheels on the base model better than the blackies on the S.

It puts a smile on everyone's face that we've shared it with so far! And that's worth a lot (especially my wife's).

As far as moving them, the dealer sold the first 3 in a matter of weeks, with the first S being snatched up by an employee.

And ours being a non-S, I get to start "improving" it. ;-)

Stu

My wife saw one of these while we were shopping for a gray S, & fell in love with it. I protested mildly because it wasn't an S and I had said that was the only way I could stand trading in our modified C5 (or so I thought). I slept on it overnight (really bummed about not having the S bits), but thought, "Happy wife, happy life" and we went and got it the next day.

We like the "retro" look of the silver accented wheels on the base model better than the blackies on the S.

It puts a smile on everyone's face that we've shared it with so far! And that's worth a lot (especially my wife's).

As far as moving them, the dealer sold the first 3 in a matter of weeks, with the first S being snatched up by an employee.

And ours being a non-S, I get to start "improving" it. ;-)

Stu

Well you might want to add something like this perhaps:

66utqpy.jpg

4plc2ll.jpg

Edited by Nick_USA

Nick, what did you add? A different exhaust? I thought the 987S/987 Limited Editions already had PSE.

No I didn't replace the complete exhaust which is indeed the PSE which has a great sound. I just removed the standard tips and replaced them with some black powder coated fabspeed ones to follow the black/orange car theme.

Nick, what did you add? A different exhaust? I thought the 987S/987 Limited Editions already had PSE.

No I didn't replace the complete exhaust which is indeed the PSE which has a great sound. I just removed the standard tips and replaced them with some black powder coated fabspeed ones to follow the black/orange car theme.

Nice touch. I thought the stainless steel OEM tips were tarnished, and even polished them a bit, then realized they reflect the orange body, making them look a bit yellowish.

Re the PSE, I was afraid the cutout was going to be disabled at lower speeds like I read about in a hack thread, but was pleased that it operates at all speeds when Sportchrono button is on.

Nice plate too!

• 2 weeks later...

Nick, it looks like you bought your LE from Danbury Porsche. I ultimately didn't buy from them, but they were one of the dealers on my short list and I thought they were one of the best dealers I worked with. How was your experience with them?

I'm also thinking of using them for the maintenance of my 987 and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on Danbury?

Nick, it looks like you bought your LE from Danbury Porsche. I ultimately didn't buy from them, but they were one of the dealers on my short list and I thought they were one of the best dealers I worked with. How was your experience with them?

I'm also thinking of using them for the maintenance of my 987 and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on Danbury?

They are really the best of the local bunch, although I do like the parts department at Greenwich (albeit I wouldn't trust them with anything else).

Out of the local dealers, the sales guys at Danbury went that extra mile to make sure all my requests were carried out to the letter. I have also used the service department with no problems to date. Unlike the previously mentioned more local dealership where they treated my wife like an idiot (she is an engineer so they were on a loser to start off) and tried to recommend extra unnecessary work was required before they had even inspected the car!!! Hope that helps.

Thanks Nick. I think I'll setup a relationship with Danbury to service my new 987. The are 1.5 hours from me, but the local dealer has a horrible reputation. Danbury seemed straight up and they are a Premier dealer... whatever that means. I just need a service dept. will do what they say they'll do - hopefully Danbury is it.

Good luck with your new car Nick. It looks great!!

Thanks Nick. I think I'll setup a relationship with Danbury to service my new 987. The are 1.5 hours from me, but the local dealer has a horrible reputation. Danbury seemed straight up and they are a Premier dealer... whatever that means. I just need a service dept. will do what they say they'll do - hopefully Danbury is it.

Good luck with your new car Nick. It looks great!!

Thanks... good luck with yours. By the way the other nameless place is but 5 minutes from mine. Danbury is 45 minutes from here but worth the drive. If you are nearer to Pepe in NY state they are pretty good too and their workshop is larger than Danburys. But all in I like the more personal service of Danbury.

New on the board here. Saw this thread and thought I'd post my '08 Boxster SE. Replaces my '98 Boxster.

I've really enjoyed it. Got it on Sept. 30. It's #005/250. Being able to put the top up/down while moving is the surprise fun feature...

One thing I'd like to do is replace the stereo. It has the Bose package, but I'd like to add an MP3 capable stereo with bluetooth? Anyone know if that's possible and anywhere in NorCal that's capable of installing something like that?

post-25387-1195714108_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nick, you seem to know about these cars... I have a couple of questions...

1.- The website shows Porsche Active Suspension management as part of the specs for this car... Is it on the car?

2.- The PSE is "active"? Do I have to have the chrono on to be able to get those pesky extra HP?

3.- The sport button changes the mapping... but does it also change suspension settings and exhaust?

Nick, you seem to know about these cars... I have a couple of questions...

1.- The website shows Porsche Active Suspension management as part of the specs for this car... Is it on the car?

2.- The PSE is "active"? Do I have to have the chrono on to be able to get those pesky extra HP?

3.- The sport button changes the mapping... but does it also change suspension settings and exhaust?

1. It does not have PASM nor is the option available. I think Porsche played safe as there could be issues with the combination of the Aerokit and PASM ie Damage to the car at parking ramps.

2. No published gain with the PSE, with or without the Sports Chrono option. Never had the car on a dyno yet.

3. The Chrono button changes the throttle maps, PSM limits and yes also the PSE.

If you already have PCM , then the dension gateway 500 is probably the best option rather than ripping out the existing PCM. The dension unit connects on the MOST ring allowing the ipod or USB HD to play direct into the PCM without any FM transmitters. It also allows the PCM to control the i pod / USB HD directly. The special edition 987 boxsters do not have any extra BHP except the Rs60. The sport exhaust or PSE is purely a baffle inside the stock exhaust. The gains in performance for aftermarket exhausts for these cars comes mainly from the headers and hi flow cats , all upstream of the rear silencers where the PSE works.

PASM uses different dampers , springs and anti roll bars to the standard set up, thus the car rides 10mm lower all the time. The sport chrono and chrono plus (with PCM 2.1) allows for a higher rev cut out , sharper throttle response and less intervention from the PSM. if specced with PASM the activation of the sport mode also changes PASM to sport by pressing the same button. The car can be driven in "sport mode" with the PASM set to normal by deselcting the PASM once sport has been selected. Hope this helps clarify the situation.

Edited by berty987

The car can be driven in "sport mode" with the PASM set to normal by deselcting the PASM once sport has been selected.

Where is this menu?

Thanks for the clarification on the sports exhaust system.

There is no menu and this is only available if you have PASM and Sport Chrono (or Sport Chrono Plus) Then you will have two buttons next to your spoiler button on the lower console under the HVAC controls. One is labelled Sport and the other is labeled with a Shock Absorber icon. Pressing the Sport button turns on PASM and "sport mode" (edgier throttle, later ABS and less invasive PSM) then press the Shock Absorber icon button to turn off PASM.

Regards,

Alan

The car can be driven in "sport mode" with the PASM set to normal by deselcting the PASM once sport has been selected.

Where is this menu?

Thanks for the clarification on the sports exhaust system.

There is no menu and this is only available if you have PASM and Sport Chrono (or Sport Chrono Plus) Then you will have two buttons next to your spoiler button on the lower console under the HVAC controls. One is labelled Sport and the other is labeled with a Shock Absorber icon. Pressing the Sport button turns on PASM and "sport mode" (edgier throttle, later ABS and less invasive PSM) then press the Shock Absorber icon button to turn off PASM.

Regards,

Alan

The PASM is not available when you build your porsche (the limited edition) in the website... That was my question... it's is not available in the configurator, yet the specs say it has it... Or to put it in other words... if PASM is not available for the limited edition Boxster S, what is the purpose for the Chrono Plus...?

Edited by maracuya68