Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 02 C4s And Question On Clutch/shifting Feel

I just picked up my new to me 02 C4S with 38k miles. My last Porsche was a 95 993. I've got a question about the overall feel of the shifting and clutch. Not exactly sure how to describe the feeling but here goes.

First it seems very difficult to shift between gears smoothly. Seems like the engagement of the next gear seems to bump and not engage smoothly unless I'm very slow and careful with the clutch release. Also it seems that the clutch/gears don't disengage smoothly when I depress the clutch. Almost like it doesn't come out of gear. It's not hard to get out of gear or anything, just not smooth with a slight catch. I have to be very careful in depressing clutch with letting off the accelerator. The other thing I've noticed is that if I press slightly on the clutch pedal (not to the point of disengaging) I feel a vibration transmitted through the pedal.

I've driven manual cars for the last 20 years but this one doesn't feel as smooth as my last 993.

Any ideas?

Keith

I think i know about what you describe with regard to changing gear, i have something similar with my 996TT. Its all about timing for me, and i notice mine from 1st to second (ONLY). If you dip the clutch and smack it straight back to second (almost simultaneously) you will get a 'jerk' where you feel it disengage. When your reving it its not noticeable, but driving sedately you do. If you dip the clutch purposely then go for the change, you get the smooth change. Also, try tapping the throttle (slightly) while doing it. I'd expect a bit of that withg frist gear, but if yours is in every gear maybe below is the reason??

Ofcourse, your clutch could be dragging (air in the system)??? Where is the 'bite'???

Vibration?? Clutch release baring on the way out???

The clutch engagement point is maybe 1/3 of the travel, fairly early. It does seem more pronounced when driving easy and less when accelerating hard. I'll have to pay closer attention as to whether it's in every gear or just 1-2 shifts. Thanks.

Keith