Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does Higher Octane Fuel Help?

I'm running in a DE this weekend. There is fuel available at the track up to 110 octane. I usually run premium in my 05 987S 93 octane.

Will a higher octane help my performance? I read earlier posts that say the engine will automatically adjust to the fuel. Is there a maximum level the car can use effectively?

I'm running in a DE this weekend. There is fuel available at the track up to 110 octane. I usually run premium in my 05 987S 93 octane.

Will a higher octane help my performance? I read earlier posts that say the engine will automatically adjust to the fuel. Is there a maximum level the car can use effectively?

The use of "higher" octane fuel in performance environments have been persistantly discussed by my clients as well as peers....with the ultimate, undeniable/PRACTICAL conclusion THAT.......use the "pump" premium, it's more than capable of propelling you to track euphoria!

The use of "higher" octane fuel in performance environments have been persistantly discussed by my clients as well as peers....with the ultimate, undeniable/PRACTICAL conclusion THAT.......use the "pump" premium, it's more than capable of propelling you to track euphoria!

I guess that would be a practical recommendation and one I can go along with, but to answer the question... Yes, higher octane fuel WILL increase the HP in your car, but I've never personally tried higher than 100 octane. The only 110 octane I've seen at the tracks was LEADED fuel, definitely do NOT use this.

Will you notice a difference with 100 octane versus 93? Yes, you will feel a slight difference if you really know your car. I don't have dyno results for you, but in my experience on both the street and in a few track events with 100 octane in a 99 3.4L, it will run smoother and pull a little bit better. The computer will adjust to the more highly refined fuel. For best results, empty your tank as much as possible before using the 100 octane, and disconnect the battery cable long enough to reset the computer (I've heard approximately ten minutes).

I have seen one show on Speed Channel that performed a test on a 996, comparing 87 octane versus 93. There was a 5hp difference to the rear wheels on the dyno. I guess you'd really have to push your car hard on a regular basis to notice this slight difference, but if the computer can tell a difference, then there must be something to it.

There are 3 grades available, 97 and 102 unleaded? i guess it wouldn't hurt anything to try (except my wallet).

My car is my everyday driver. Wouldn't disconnecting the battery mess up my radio?

Thanks for your replies

Hi,

I pump about 5 gallons into a half filled tank. You

will not notice any difference. What the racing gas does is

clean your engine. This gas will help burn the carbon

off the top of your pistons. Look at your tailpipes after

you run the racing gas and you will see a difference. A

little racing gas is good.

I ran a lay-down kart for hour long races and the piston

tops were always clean with racing gas.

Paul

Hi,

I pump about 5 gallons into a half filled tank. You

will not notice any difference. What the racing gas does is

clean your engine. This gas will help burn the carbon

off the top of your pistons. Look at your tailpipes after

you run the racing gas and you will see a difference. A

little racing gas is good.

I ran a lay-down kart for hour long races and the piston

tops were always clean with racing gas.

Paul

Won't disconnecting the battery give you a check engine fault?