Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So, When Somebody Asks You What Kind Of Car You Have, What Do You Say?

The best thread I've seen was "What's the dumbest accessory you ever bought for your Porsche?" It was hilarious.

But this has to be the worst one. How can this many of you care what to say when someone asks what kind of car you drive? The last time someone asked me what kind of car I drive I was in high school during the 90s. And I certainly wasn't driving a Porsche. Are there that many Renntech members in high school?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thread I've seen was "What's the dumbest accessory you ever bought for your Porsche?" It was hilarious.

But this has to be the worst one. How can this many of you care what to say when someone asks what kind of car you drive? The last time someone asked me what kind of car I drive I was in high school during the 90s. And I certainly wasn't driving a Porsche. Are there that many Renntech members in high school?

That's not very nice. I'm new to Porsche and I was curious as to what people said they had when talking to other people. :(

Edited by monkeydust

Team996, if you don't like the thread move-on and don't post in it. Didn't they teach you any manners in your school?

Team996, if you don't like the thread move-on and don't post in it. Didn't they teach you any manners in your school?

I think he has the right to give his opinion on this thread. I also shook my head when I read the title.

But this has to be the worst one. How can this many of you care what to say when someone asks what kind of car you drive? The last time someone asked me what kind of car I drove I was in high school during the 90s. And I certainly wasn't driving a Porsche. Are there that many Renntech members in high school?

That's not very nice. I'm new to Porsche and I was curious as to what people said they had when talking to other people. :(

I'm mostly kidding, but I am ever so slightly concerned about the resilient popularity of this thread.

But this has to be the worst one. How can this many of you care what to say when someone asks what kind of car you drive? The last time someone asked me what kind of car I drove I was in high school during the 90s. And I certainly wasn't driving a Porsche. Are there that many Renntech members in high school?

I'm mostly kidding, but I am ever so slightly concerned about the resilient popularity of this thread.

I do agree with you but at the same time you get what you pay for. Keep in mind, we're on a forum on the internet. Typical target market for this medium would definitely be asking "what kind of car you drive".

I stopped at a rural bar and it must have been quitting time, because even though I parked away from the building, my Porsche had been boxed in by several pickup trucks. I asked the bartender who's truck was blocking my car....and he announced.....Someone's blocking this guy's car. The bar got quiet and one of the guys asked....which is your car? I responded.....The little one. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think you may have something there.. I logged in "Porsche 911" and then in a seperate Google search page "Porsche Carrera". Results:

Porsche 911 8,290,000 Google Web Pages found

Porsche Carrera- 10,700,000 Google Webpages found

Strangely Porsche Carrera seems to be used more.. Who would have thought??

I've got several names:

1) Audi (well, my Audi is my daily driver - some people then just think the 911 isn't mine)

2) a used 7 year old Porsche (for those people might be wondering why I have a 911)

3) Porsche

4) an '02 C4S (to those who know)

I think you may have something there.. I logged in "Porsche 911" and then in a seperate Google search page "Porsche Carrera". Results:

Porsche 911 8,290,000 Google Web Pages found

Porsche Carrera- 10,700,000 Google Webpages found

Strangely Porsche Carrera seems to be used more.. Who would have thought??

Well, sure Carrera is going to get more Google hits ... "Carrera" name/package was first used with/on the 356 way back when. Carrera is a sub-model name/package that has been used with many Porsche models to date. THE Carrera is of course the Carrera GT.

I've noticed if you tell someone that asks you "what kind of Porsche do you drive?" and you say a Carrera, they usually assume it is the 911 model. These people typically don't know Porsche vehicles at all. Now if they follow up the question with "oh, which Carrera model?", ding, ding, ding - we have a Motor Head winner, or at least a Porschephile.

From Wiki ...

Carrera is a trademarked name (Spanish for "race") exclusively used by Porsche for its models to honor the company's success in the Carrera Panamericana race.

The following vehicles have been called Carrera:

* Porsche 356

* Porsche 904

* Porsche 911

o Porsche 911 (1963-1989)

o Porsche 964 (1989-1993)

o Porsche 993 (1993-1998)

o Porsche 996 (1998-2004)

o Porsche 997 (2004-Present)

* Porsche 924

* Porsche Carrera GT

Depends who is asking, I will sometimes, tell them I drive a Porsche

Some I tell them I drive a Nissan Pathfinder, which I do own and use as an all year vehicle.

Some people, I tell them that I drive a VW Bettle on Steroids. :)

Edited by scubadawg

I was the guy that started that 'Stupidest Money' thread. I think that many Porsche owners take themselves too seriously.

Porsche mostly acquired its status baggage in the 80s, when it became the darling car of 'achievers'. Before that, Porsche's were more oddball and quirky than they were straight up status symbols. Since then, its image has been a product of the people who drove them, not the other way around.

I think if you can't just tell people what you drive, then either you hang around with the wrong people or you might not be comfortable enough in your skin to drive something so extroverted.

EDIT: I say this as someone who truly loves Porsches, by the way, including my own little plain-jane C2!

Edited by BruceP