Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

B&m Ssk & Great Vendor Experience

I had the B&M under car short shift kit installed in my '04 Carrera today, and really like it a lot. You can select 10%, 20% or 30% shift throw reduction--I went with 30%. It attaches between the gear cord and the transmission.

The throw from 3rd to 4th, as an example, decreased from 5" stock to 3.5" with the B&M (30%). The shifts are much more defined, but not notchy (if that's a word). Shifting effort is increased a bit (due to physics), but it's a welcomed shifting tightness. Left to right travel is unchanged, so you won't accidentally downshift from 5th to 2nd.

I got it from Brandywine Porsche for $175. As usual, Justin Lane was great. There was a mix up (apparently caused by mislabeling by B&M) and I originally got the wrong part, but Justin stepped up & got it fixed.

For you bay area folks, I had it installed at Akkurat in Menlo Park http://www.akkuratpgi.com . I can't say enough about their professionalism and expertise...and they're great guys to boot! They recognized it was the wrong part, and worked with B&M, along with Justin, and had the correct part FedEx'd to them today. George Young is a great guy.

Here's a pic of the gear cords attached to the transmission before installation:

stock.sized.jpg

B&M short shifter kit:

B_M.sized.jpg

B&M with locking plate:

B_M_locking_plate.sized.jpg

Here's a comparison, with stock shift throws on top, and B&M on bottom. The throw reduction in 3rd gear is misleading, because neutral with the B&M is moved forward a bit.

stock_vs_B_M.sized.jpg

For those (like me) who wanted shorter shift throws, but were concerned with overly difficult shifting, I can say that this is the ticket.

Now I just need to figure a way to lower my car without increasing ride harshness...

Edited by Poursha

I "second" everything you said about the positive changes with this SSK. It works well right out of the box. Absolutely no left/right issues, no adjustment issues, nothing, just install and go.

When I made the decision to order a SSK, I "thought" I ordered the in-car version. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find the under-car version. Justin convinced me to try it anyway, and I'm sure glad he did.

It is so simple, yet works so well.

Dwayne

I "second" everything you said about the positive changes with this SSK.  It works well right out of the box.  Absolutely no left/right issues, no adjustment issues, nothing, just install and go. 

When I made the decision to order a SSK, I "thought" I ordered the in-car version.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find the under-car version.  Justin convinced me to try it anyway, and I'm sure glad he did. 

It is so simple, yet works so well. 

Dwayne

Yep--simple but effective. I guess the guys who designed it paid attention in physics class! :clapping: