Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Air Filter Install Instructions & Pics

Hi Bob - What filter did you replace the factory one with? I'm assuming that's a K&N replacement in your last image... Any thoughts on the new filter? Better sound? Better performance? Thanks for the great instructions!

Edited by chobo

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dumb question :unsure: , how often should the air filter be replaced? I'm in San Diego, and although I didn't drive much during the recent fires, I'm wondering if I should just pony up and change the filter out as a precaution due to all the ashe in the air?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
For some reason I don't see pics on the original post.

Yea I dont see em either. Having a hell of a time on how to replace the air filter ?????????????? I know its there somewhere !!!!! PLEASE PLEASE

The website he had his pics posted on no longer exists.

Please try PMing him and see f he still has them. I would be happy to post them here if he can send them to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Removing and installing air cleaner element

1. Unscrew the eight fastening screws on the air cleaner housing 1.

post-1-12723235042_thumb.png

2. Remove the air cleaner element from the housing shell.

post-1-127232355409_thumb.png

3.Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing shells with a clean lint−free cloth, which has been soaked in solvent naphtha, and then dry it off.

post-1-127232357734_thumb.png

Note: The air cleaner housing should not be cleaned on the outside with strong cleaning agents.

4. If the air cleaner housing shells are dirty on the outside, clean only with a damp cloth and some washing−up liquid.

Installing air cleaner element

Reverse of removal

Removing and installing air cleaner element

This does not loo at all like the air cleaner housing on my 2007 997. There are no visible screws. Could they be on the underside of the housing?

1. Unscrew the eight fastening screws on the air cleaner housing 1.

post-1-12723235042_thumb.png

2. Remove the air cleaner element from the housing shell.

post-1-127232355409_thumb.png

3.Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing shells with a clean lint−free cloth, which has been soaked in solvent naphtha, and then dry it off.

post-1-127232357734_thumb.png

Note: The air cleaner housing should not be cleaned on the outside with strong cleaning agents.

4. If the air cleaner housing shells are dirty on the outside, clean only with a damp cloth and some washing−up liquid.

Installing air cleaner element

Reverse of removal

• Admin

You need to take the whole air cleaner out of the car first. Then disassemble it.

Take the large hose clamp off and disconnect the MAF sensor cable. Remove the single bolt/mount (at the rear of the car) and lift the air cleaner out.

Be careful to not lose the the rubber aligning/positioning bushes from the bottom of the air cleaner.

Thanks for the info, but where I would expect to see the single bolt holding the air filter housing,(similar to my previous 996), there is a rubber washer fitted over a hollow post, but no evidence of a screw or bolt. Does this need to be removed? Thanks for your help.

Kn8dl.

Unlike the 996 there is no bolt holding down the airbox on the 997. it just rests on that post that Loren showed aided by two posts that sit on rubber grommets on the bottom of the box. Be sure that you don't lose the rubber grommets on the feet of the box (there are two) They tend to fly off when you pull the box out.

cheers.gif

Kn8dl.

Unlike the 996 there is no bolt holding down the airbox on the 997. it just rests on that post that Loren showed aided by two posts that sit on rubber grommets on the bottom of the box. Be sure that you don't lose the rubber grommets on the feet of the box (there are two) They tend to fly off when you pull the box out.

cheers.gif

Thaanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to take the whole air cleaner out of the car first. Then disassemble it.

Take the large hose clamp off and disconnect the MAF sensor cable. Remove the single bolt/mount (at the rear of the car) and lift the air cleaner out.

Be careful to not lose the the rubber aligning/positioning bushes from the bottom of the air cleaner.

The MAF sensor does not pull off. Does one have to pinch in the little winglets on its sides or push outwards on them to get it to release? Thanks for your help.

• Admin

The MAF sensor does not pull off. Does one have to pinch in the little winglets on its sides or push outwards on them to get it to release? Thanks for your help.

Yes, if your connector has the tabs on the side squeeze them to remove the connector. There was more than one type of connector used for the MAF sensor.

Well, I did a search on how to change the air filter in a 2007 turbo and this thread came up. Things look much different obviously. Loren, do you have pictures for a turbo? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread.

• Admin

Well, I did a search on how to change the air filter in a 2007 turbo and this thread came up. Things look much different obviously. Loren, do you have pictures for a turbo? Thanks and sorry to hijack the thread.

Should be 8 screws around the outer cover (item 3) and the two grommets to hold things in place.

post-1-127337997808_thumb.png