Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

seat belt repair kit

Guest raffi

First of all congratulations on the new site. :clapping: I was just wondering if anyone can give me advice on changing the seat belt receptacles to get rid of the airbag light. I've seen all the other posts about this problem on the other forums but I just wanted to know if it is difficult to replace the receptacles on my own since my car is out of warranty. is there any problems i may encounter when removing the seats or anything else thanks alot.

• Admin

Well, there is are two TSBs for this so your dealer may still do it for free. Certainly worth asking about.

If you want the TSBs with the part numbers and instructions, email me or join the forum so I can email you.

Thanks and welcome to RennTech!

• Moderators

I have a 1997 Boxster which went out of warranty in 1999. It had one of the first 'fixes' done while in warranty. I bought the car in 1999 after the original 2 year warranty expired Last year the light came back on. I was going to buy the kit and follow the TSB for the latest fix, or remove the bulb.

Then I asked the service guy if Porsche would do it for free since it is a known problem, and he said yes. Had it done on my car for free 3 years out of warranty. Check with your dealer first as they did mine for free. This is Peter doing the latest 'fix' on a 1998. Jeff

air_bag_fix.sized.jpg

Guest raffi

Thanks alot Jeff and Loren, you guys are a tremendous help as always. I had taken the bulb out but saw someone selling the kit on ebay so thought i may give it a try. but now i will definitely give the dealer a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my car in to the dealer and they told me that porsche would not cover the airbag light problem since my car is out of warranty at 70K miles. :angry: I have one question. Do you think another dealer might be more helpful. I am waiting for your reply so I can just take that annoying light bulb out :lightbulb: . Thanks alot

• Moderators

Guess I got lucky? Just curious, are you out of warranty because it is older than 4 years and because you have more than 50k miles.

I know the service advisor at my dealer as I hang around there all the time. He told me it was warranty work when I took the car in but when I picked up the car and paid for the other work I was charged for the air bag. Then I went back to the advisor and he said it was a mistake and took the air bag charge off my bill. I was 3 years out of warranty but only had 37k miles. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe because I had a prior fix, or he made a mistake in telling me there was no charge when I bought the car in. Next time I'm at the dealer I will ask what is the policy.

It does not cost anything to try another dealer. Jeff

thanks jeff, I am just over 4 years out of warranty but his main point was that I have 70K miles and am the second owner. I know the service guy fairly well but I dont think well enough for him to go out of his way to help me. Am I correct in assuming that the porsche rep that told him my car would not be covered is the same person that will be contacted if I take it to another dealer? thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I talked to the shop foreman Peter Smith at my local dealer in San Jose to see what the policy was or did they screw up by not charging me for the latest fix. Peter said they do it for free even if the car is out of warranty. He does not know if this should be the same policy at all dealerships. He suggested you call PCNA directly. There is no way my local dealer ate the cost of the fix - I'm sure they billed PCNA. Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I was at my local dealer yesterday and spoke to the service advisor that had my out of warranty airbag fix done last year. He said Porsche changed their policy last month, July 1st. Now it will only be done on a case by case basis. Such as if you had had prior fixes done and have a service history with the dealer. :angry: