Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Determining 996 clutch life

Sorry if this was brought up before. But I had a '98 986 before, and i was told if the clutch was getting harder and harder to press down, it meant that the life of the clutch is wearing out.

However, when I spoke with a porsche mechanic, he stated that the '02 new gen 996 have hydraulic clutches, and the pressure of the pedal doesn't necessarily increase. Instead the play area for engagement increases toward the inside of the cockpit. I sat in a 996 that recently had it's clutch done, and I'd have to say that it felt a bit lighter than mine; not a whole lot, but it was definantly lighter and smoother.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, I remember my boxster was night and day also. hopefully that's the same for the '02 C2. The fact that the mechanic stated that the 02 996 have a "hydraulic clutch that shouldn't have much of a change in the pedal" questions my thoughts of a new clutch. Anyone have any experience on a clutch change for 02-04s?

If you have an hydraulic clutch (all of them these days), the 'bite' is kept fairly consistent independant of clutch wear in much the same way your brakes are.

If you feel that its difficult to press the pedal, then this can be that your clutch release baring has gone. This is replaced as part of a new clutch kit (i believe) and therefore you could think that having a new clutch has fixed the issue, whereas it was actually the baring....... Pretty much the same labour to do baring as clutch, so unless your baring is covered under warrantee (like mine was) then you just have a 'new clutch', which incidentally i did while they were there and the labour was 'absorbed' by the release baring replacment under warrantee.

the more i hear or should i say read the more i am throwing out all the myths out the window. What does a clutch run?

I haven't had to replace mine yet on my 02C4S, but in reading many posts on the subject of clutch replacement it costs around $1100 for the complete clutch job, i.e. parts and labor. Parts are around 4-500 including pressure plate, clutch disk, and throw-out bearing. Labor around $600. If you need to replace flywheel, that runs another $1,000.

Others who have recently treplaced theirs can quote you precise $$'s.

Demosan

My dealer in Michigan quoted about $1300 P&L... They charge $105/hr for labor. They also give you a 10% parts discount if you're a PCA member.

By the way, my old 944 had a hydraulic clutch...I just assumed they all did. My current car - a '99 C4 - does it actually have a cable-operated clutch, or is the mechanic talking about the '02 have it all wrong? I haven't seen a cable-operated clutch in many modern cars...

My dealer in Michigan quoted about $1300 P&L... They charge $105/hr for labor. They also give you a 10% parts discount if you're a PCA member.

By the way, my old 944 had a hydraulic clutch...I just assumed they all did. My current car - a '99 C4 - does it actually have a cable-operated clutch, or is the mechanic talking about the '02 have it all wrong? I haven't seen a cable-operated clutch in many modern cars...

Wow, you guys have it cheap over there! Yeah, our OPC charge around 100 an hour labour, but thats in Sterling!! Also the prices quoted for the parts would be the same for us but in Sterling. So basically we would be charged twice as much as your talking. God we're ripped off here! Think its the same for the price of P cars too? Obviously not twice, but considerably cheaper?? What does a 997TT retail over there at then??

When I drove my car a little hard, the clutch seemed to slip a bit. After getting into 2nd, while the clutch pedal was fully disengaged, the RPM revved up a bit and the clutch caught. The tires dont chirp in 2nd either. I normally do not drive it this hard at all, but I had to determine the clutch's status. I think I need a new clutch. Price seems very close here in Cali. $1250 for a clutch job. If the bearing job is about $600 there, i think it's best just to do all of it at once. (plus there was no record of any clutch job being done already)

the more i hear or should i say read the more i am throwing out all the myths out the window. What does a clutch run?

I haven't had to replace mine yet on my 02C4S, but in reading many posts on the subject of clutch replacement it costs around $1100 for the complete clutch job, i.e. parts and labor. Parts are around 4-500 including pressure plate, clutch disk, and throw-out bearing. Labor around $600. If you need to replace flywheel, that runs another $1,000.

Others who have recently treplaced theirs can quote you precise $$'s.

Demosan

For my 02 C2 (see my other message), I was quoted ~9 hours of labor and about 1000US$ for parts, for a total around 3k$ at the Porsche dealer.

An indie quoted me 4 hours of labor (at 135US$/hour) for a total of about 2500US$, which includes a new RMS and intermediate shaft seal (so that probably adds a couple 100 to the total, and probably a good idea).

So, I'd like to know where you lucky guys live where you can have a clutch job done at P dealer for less than I can get an indie do it. It's almost worth shipping the car there.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

:rolleyes: Just had my clutch replaced by Porsche dealership (Toronto Downtown) in my (6 speed) '04 4s, 43,000 kms, cost C$1900 (+tax). I didn't realise that my clutch was becoming heavier and heavier then it started to shudder starting off in first, they replaced it same day. I was lucky, as I took it in immediatly, so no other damage. The difference is unbelievable, it's now light, engages easily, and my car feels like new!