Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermediate Shaft Failures

True RFM! And to add to that:

Any engine that is manufactured after that 2006 date (possibly re-manufactured in 2005 or later) are also showing up with the larger 22mm bearing with a similar load rating to that of the original dual row intermediate shaft bearing.

So you could end up with an early model year engine that has been re-worked with the larger bearing... as we've seen a couple 3.4L engines pass through here on rt.org with one installed. As well as is documented on LN engineering's IMS website.

• 6 months later...

I own a 2000 Boxster-S with ~62k miles on it. I've had a slight oil leak for little over a year, previously identified by a Porsche dealership technician as an RMS leak. It went from 'weeping' to leaving a noticeable drip. While reading numerous Porsche threads, I noticed all the chatter about the IMS failures and immediately took my car into the closest of a few independent shops noted in several threads (the one located in Campbell, CA). The good news is that we caught the IMS in time. It was definitely in pre-failure mode, still functioning but deteriorating. The owner/mechanic (Alden) said I 'got lucky' and that it was 'just as bad if not slightly worse than the one I showed you on my desk'. So, I had the LN Engineering IMS Retro-Fit done, RMS seal replaced, torque coverter seal replaced and oil scavenger pump resealed. Yes, a few things were leaking.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the forum village for sharing their experiences as it literally saved my car :thumbup:

p.s... By the way I was never advised about the IMS failure issues by the Porsche dealership in Oakland, CA where I bought the car in 2004 (car had ~17k on it), nor the one located in Santa Clara, CA that has serviced the car since purchase. And sadly, I called the latter just before taking it to the independent shop yesterday and when I mentioned the IMS to them, they were still not forthcoming about failure issues. When I asked about retrofits, they advised they do not use the LN Engineering product - just their product. Oh well, nuff' said.

The total price for replacing the RMS, IMS (using LN Engineering IMS Retrofit $619), torque converter seal, the resealing of my oil scavenger pump and an oil change was ~$2,300. This investment vis-a-vis a $15k+ engine is priceless. :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

i have a 996 and i just got a letter from porsche japan saying that the intermediate shaft could fail and to bring it in for inspection. if it needs to be repaired it will be done for free. my local mechanic is bringing it there for me at this time.

i don't use the dealer for service because it is out of the way (and frankly i don't like their attitude). however, i have visited the dealer to get some programming done that my local shop couldn't do, so my name and address were on file with them. it might be worthwhile to visit your local dealer and ask if they have a bulletin on the intermediate shaft.

i have a 996 and i just got a letter from porsche japan saying that the intermediate shaft could fail and to bring it in for inspection. if it needs to be repaired it will be done for free. my local mechanic is bringing it there for me at this time.

i don't use the dealer for service because it is out of the way (and frankly i don't like their attitude). however, i have visited the dealer to get some programming done that my local shop couldn't do, so my name and address were on file with them. it might be worthwhile to visit your local dealer and ask if they have a bulletin on the intermediate shaft.

This should be moved to the correct sub-forum (996).

Interesting, Greg0d. Keep us posted. Can you scan and attach a copy of your letter? Hide your personal info.

This should be moved to the correct sub-forum (996).

Interesting, Greg0d. Keep us posted. Can you scan and attach a copy of your letter? Hide your personal info.

i posted it here because the subject was the intermediate shaft problem which the 986, 996, 987 and 997 all have in common.

i'll post a copy of the letter, but i doubt there are many readers who can read japanese. i can write a summary of what it says if anyone is interested.

• Moderators

I, for one, would love to see a translation from Kanji. If this is correct, and from a legitimate Porsche authority, it would be the first time I have ever seen their acceptance that there really is an IMS problem. Most dealers here will not discuss the matter, and many still claim that it is not possible to update the pre 2006 IMS without disassembling the entire engine (PCNA's "official" position).