Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power steering shudder on the Boxster at low speed

On my 2006, when I turn the wheel as I start to pull away from a curb or turn out of a parking spot at low speed, I notice a 'shudder' almost as it the power steering is not able to keep up with the request from the steering wheel.

It will also do this if as you come to a stop and just be fore the car stops rolling, you quickly turn the wheel in preparation for a sharp turn.

It is difficult to describe and if I need to have the dealer look at it I want to be able to correctly describe the problem or re-create it for the service tech.

Thanks!

Does this happen when you approach full lock on either extreme?

It seems to be more related to driving slow then turning the wheel quickly.

Today if I can get out in the car, I will try and see if there is a difference at

with the wheels straight ahead and then turn or if it comes on as the wheels

approach lock.

( BTW, on another topic, still playing with the dash...)

Al

Does this happen when you approach full lock on either extreme?

It seems to be more related to driving slow then turning the wheel quickly.

Today if I can get out in the car, I will try and see if there is a difference at

with the wheels straight ahead and then turn or if it comes on as the wheels

approach lock.

( BTW, on another topic, still playing with the dash...)

Al

Not so much turning the wheel quickly, but rather at full ock either side. Reason is, there is an odd sensation that's normal when you have the wheels pointing at either extremes of travel at barely rolling speed. Its almost as if the car jumps and sounds like driving through packed snow. This is all normal and part of the Ackerman steering where one wheel turns further than the other.

(BTW, on another topic, still playing with the dash...)

NP, you don't rush when it comes to these cars ;)

pop

Popolou/RFM,

Thanks for posting this info. I started experiencing the same issue when turning lock-to-lock recently (it's starting to get cold in Boston!) and was wondering about it. I don't have to worry now.

Regards,

paul...

• 4 weeks later...
Still wonder about this, doesn't seem to be related to temperature, sure reminds me of the feel when a power sterring pump is working hard at wheel lock...

I initially thought that the problem was temperature dependent, but last week I rechecked my tire pressures and used the TPMS as a guide. Now the noise/feeling has gone away for the most part. I'll keep an eye on it and report back any findings I may have.

Regards,

paul...

• 3 weeks later...