Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hardtop water leaks

I bought a 2004 4S convertible (996?) this summer. It came with snows and hardtop. Porsche installed both last week. Water leaks in from both top edge sides of windscreen where the roof sits on windscreen when it rains. I took it back, the dealer siliconed all joining edges, but water streams in. Can anyone help please?

Also, they told me I could take it through a touchless car wash, I tried it before it rained, and had to go home to change as I was soaked!

I bought a 2004 4S convertible (996?) this summer. It came with snows and hardtop. Porsche installed both last week. Water leaks in from both top edge sides of windscreen where the roof sits on windscreen when it rains. I took it back, the dealer siliconed all joining edges, but water streams in. Can anyone help please?

Also, they told me I could take it through a touchless car wash, I tried it before it rained, and had to go home to change as I was soaked!

update to above: the dealership discovered that the front seal/rim on the hardtop had been damaged and badly repaired by the previous owner. Quote C$850 + shipping + labour

This would be my suggestion as well - check the from seal/rim of the hardtop. If you have no problem when the soft-top is up then the hardtop seal is to blame - otherwise it could be the windscreen seal.

Thank you. Finally discovered both trims on the roof, which run front to back on either side, were removed and very badly repaired (putty filled/ over sprayed, poorly fitting), by the previous owner. I guess the hardtop was damaged at some time. I purchased the car (with hardtop) from a very reputable dealer and called him. He will contact the previous owner, but it looks like I must bear cost (total $1100), even though I only bought the car this summer!

Thanks for responding!

This would be my suggestion as well - check the from seal/rim of the hardtop. If you have no problem when the soft-top is up then the hardtop seal is to blame - otherwise it could be the windscreen seal.

Thank you. Finally discovered both trims on the roof, which run front to back on either side, were removed and very badly repaired (putty filled/ over sprayed, poorly fitting), by the previous owner. I guess the hardtop was damaged at some time. I purchased the car (with hardtop) from a very reputable dealer and called him. He will contact the previous owner, but it looks like I must bear cost (total $1100), even though I only bought the car this summer!

Thanks for responding!

Hopefully this isn't too cheesey, but if you don't want to spend the $1100 right now, they could probably put a thick bead of silicone sealant across the edge/gap.

I assume you'll have the top on til Spring, and you could fix it next November....

The silicone should (?) come off cleanly when it's time to remove and clean up.

Just my .02, maybe something to ask about?