Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New clutch having very strange problems

I just put in a new sachs unsprung racing clutch in my 996. It has a high pressure 600 NM pressure plate, aasco lightweigh AL flywheel and Sachs race engineering unsprung but full face organic clutch disc. The clutch was a bit more difficult to drive than stock from day one, due to being unsprung, but now after 400 miles the clutch is much harder to drive and randomly will feel like it is slipping under full throttle, sometimes it slips sometimes it does not....very strange as it does not always slip. We already bled it to get some free play in the system, but this did not fix the problem.

Also, on a 996, do you need to drop the engine to replace the clutch? Does anyone have a DIY for a clutch replacement? I wonder if I have a defective clutch...slave cylinder ...master cylinder, anyway to test this stuff without just starting to replace things.

Thanks,

VMAN

The 99's had a problem with the clutch release lever. If you did not replace it with the new design, that is very likely your problem. It get's hung up at times, especially on quick clutch engagement. There is a TSB covering this. The TSB decribes it as a noise problem only so Porshe did not have to issue a recall.

Clutch can be changed without dropping engine.

I also don't understand why on earth you would install an unsprung clutch kit on the 996. You sure are placing alot of unecessary stress on various componants for no reason.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

The 99's had a problem with the clutch release lever. If you did not replace it with the new design, that is very likely your problem. It get's hung up at times, especially on quick clutch engagement. There is a TSB covering this. The TSB decribes it as a noise problem only so Porshe did not have to issue a recall.

I also don't understand why on earth you would install an unsprung clutch kit on the 996. You sure are placing alot of unecessary stress on various componants for no reason.

The car has a new 400 hp 3.8 x51 motor so we needed to upgrade to a stronger clutch, we went with unsprung and full face organic as sachs told us with the flex in the drivetrian inheirant in 99-2000 car's we should be fine. I will ask about the lever thanks.

The car has a new 400 hp 3.8 x51 motor so we needed to upgrade to a stronger clutch, we went with unsprung and full face organic as sachs told us with the flex in the drivetrian inheirant in 99-2000 car's we should be fine. I will ask about the lever thanks.

Hi

Did you do the 3.8 swap by yourself? I want to do the same, but still collecting information how to do it (egas, variocam + controller, returnless fuel pump etc.). How did you solve these issues?

Best regards

Kare

"Flex in the drivetrain"???????? Just what exactly flexes in the drivetrain that is NOT bad for the drivetrain? When you pull it apart again, throw in a sprung disc and save your bearings. 400hp is hardly too much for the stock clutch setup.

Hi

Did you do the 3.8 swap by yourself? I want to do the same, but still collecting information how to do it (egas, variocam + controller, returnless fuel pump etc.). How did you solve these issues?

Best regards

Kare

No way to do the swap yourself only a couple of folks in the country are qualified to do the swap. Send me a PM if you want more information.

"Flex in the drivetrain"???????? Just what exactly flexes in the drivetrain that is NOT bad for the drivetrain? When you pull it apart again, throw in a sprung disc and save your bearings. 400hp is hardly too much for the stock clutch setup.

Do you have the TSB for the clutch problem? Also does anyone have instructions for replacing the clutch master cylinder?