Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Happy new owner of a 996

Hey guys,

Just a quick hello and intro as last week I picked a nice little '99 C2 coupe, manual, silver over black, 18 turbo twist wheels (yes!), and 49k miles for $29.5k from Autohaus West here in OC.

I looked pretty hard about 3 1/2 years ago, but at that time couldn't find the car & deal that I wanted.

But really got the bug again after going to Laguna Seca for the ALMS final race in October....

I was seriously considering a 993, but I'd like to use this as an almost-daily driver and this 996 was just the right deal.

Well, I've had a couple nice drives already, and Saturday went out to the local Cars & Coffee show in Irvine (if some may be familiar with that).

I already picked up a nice set of Lloyd PORSCHE logo mats (black with silver lettering) for $70 on Ebay; really finishes off the cabin nicely.

Also plan to get clear corner lights at the fender (appear about $25 on eBay).

Probably also do some Llumar tint at a local place that has done several cars for me before.

I also polished the exhaust tips with a green pad and some chrome polish and they cleaned up really nicely.

(Got that idea from one of the threads here.)

The car drives great, very tight, and has been a California car its whole life. 3 previous owners and apparently each one barely drove it.

I lived in Germany for 5 years, so I can and do drive rapidly on the highway.

I'm most impressed with the power that comes on above 4k rpms, and how the 18s seem to stick like gorilla glue.

If I get a ticket in this thing, it's gonna be a triple-digit doozy. ;)

2 Questions:

- The motor seems to be sensitive at very low rpms in 1st gear, like pulling up the driveway (stalled it once) -- is that normal?

- Does anyone know a source for blue-tinted aspheric mirrors? (I've used them before but only seen clear aspheric on eBay for $140.)

Thanks and look forward to hanging out here occassionally. :renntech:

post-25179-1195442747_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

Just a quick hello and intro as last week I picked a nice little '99 C2 coupe, manual, silver over black, 18 turbo twist wheels (yes!), and 49k miles for $29.5k from Autohaus West here in OC.

I looked pretty hard about 3 1/2 years ago, but at that time couldn't find the car & deal that I wanted.

But really got the bug again after going to Laguna Seca for the ALMS final race in October....

I was seriously considering a 993, but I'd like to use this as an almost-daily driver and this 996 was just the right deal.

Well, I've had a couple nice drives already, and Saturday went out to the local Cars & Coffee show in Irvine (if some may be familiar with that).

I already picked up a nice set of Lloyd PORSCHE logo mats (black with silver lettering) for $70 on Ebay; really finishes off the cabin nicely.

Probably also do some Llumar tint at a local place that has done several cars for me before.

I also polished the exhaust tips with a green pad and some chrome polish and they cleaned up really nicely.

The car drives great, very tight, and has been a California car its whole life. 3 previous owners and apparently each one barely drove it.

I'm most impressed with the power that comes on above 4k rpms, and how the 18s seem to stick like gorilla glue.

2 Questions:

- The motor seems to be sensitive at very low rpms in 1st gear, like pulling up the driveway (stalled it once) -- is that normal?

- Does anyone know a source for blue-tinted aspheric mirrors? (I've used them before but only seen clear aspheric on eBay for $140.)

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my '02 C2 coupe from the Autohaus guys in February of 2006, and I have been very happy with it so far. I've attached a pic of my car from the same Laguna ALMS weekend you mentioned in your post; the picture was taken on Sunday afternoon in Pacific Grove before driving home, which was a blast. Sorry can't answer your questions, but congratulations again and enjoy the 996.

post-9377-1195447973_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my '02 C2 coupe from the Autohaus guys in February of 2006, and I have been very happy with it so far. I've attached a pic of my car from the same Laguna ALMS.

Nice wheels...would you be kind enough to pass on to me the manufacturer and style.

Congrats on your purchase. I've got same wheels and they look brill'

Re your first question: I only say "may" but it may be your clutch on its last legs. Get it checked out if you find you have to deal in a lot of revs on hill starts etc...

Happy driving B)

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my '02 C2 coupe from the Autohaus guys in February of 2006, and I have been very happy with it so far. I've attached a pic of my car from the same Laguna ALMS weekend you mentioned in your post; the picture was taken on Sunday afternoon in Pacific Grove before driving home, which was a blast. Sorry can't answer your questions, but congratulations again and enjoy the 996.

That's great, and what a classic shot at the beach.

Thanks,

Dave

Hey guys,

2 Questions:

dr,

I had the same concern when I first got my 02C4S and I stalled it a few times inching it into its garage stall. I aslo have a Saab Aero with standard and that cluth seems more forgiving. Once I got used to the Pcar clutch it has been fine and no more stalls and I can launch at low RPM's with no problem on the flat or hills.

On the other hand, with 49K miles it could be getting close to a new clutch if the previous owners abused it in any way. Do you have any service records as part of your sale??

Good luck with the car and hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!! :cheers: demosan

Congrats on your purchase. I've got same wheels and they look brill'

Re your first question: I only say "may" but it may be your clutch on its last legs. Get it checked out if you find you have to deal in a lot of revs on hill starts etc...

Happy driving B)

Thanks for the note.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be the clutch, but just the motor idles a bit slower with the a/c off and just prefers a bit more steady gas.

It actually seems normal, probably just me getting used to the car.... Thx.

Hey guys,

Congratiolations!

I got mine in February, 996 carrera 4 convertible.

I got the clear led side markers from Ebay too. They are a bit nicer than the regular clear ones. I also changed my 3rd brake light to a clear one.

I also got silver gauge rings and the next thing I will buy is aluminum brake pedals.

Kristian

2 Questions:

Hey guys,

2 Questions:

Congratiolations!

I got the clear led side markers from Ebay too. They are a bit nicer than the regular clear ones. I also changed my 3rd brake light to a clear one.

I also got silver gauge rings and the next thing I will buy is aluminum brake pedals.

Kristian

Congrats on the new toy! I would be interested in where you got the mats as well. I bought my 99 C2 almost 3 years ago and I still love to drive it!

Regarding the clutch, I agree with the others that it's jsut a matter of getting used to the clutch in the Porsche.. I have 67k on the original clutch and it is far from needing to be replaced.

Since everyone is posting a pic here is mine.

Enjoy the car!

Phillipj

post-7267-1195511161_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipj

der meister, do you have an eBay link for your mats?

Here's a picture of my 99 C2, Silver, at the Beach, Miami style! :)

-James.

Wow, another great shot, looks like east coast vs. west coast beach shots, ha.

Here's the link to one of the seller's Ebay mats, look like mine, but for a 997:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-997...1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems my 996 mats have the PORSCHE script slightly higher so it's nicely visible.

Great quality, thick, and fit perfectly in all positions, authorized from Porsche.

You can ask the seller a question, he cut me a little deal since I'm in CA for no tax, and also got them the next day.

Congratiolations!

Kristian

Hey Kristian, ooh clear 3rd brake light. Sounds interesting, especially since my C2 ist silber.

Got a linky for that?

Edited by der meister

Congratulations on your purchase! I bought my '02 C2 coupe from the Autohaus guys in February of 2006, and I have been very happy with it so far. I've attached a pic of my car from the same Laguna ALMS.

Nice wheels...would you be kind enough to pass on to me the manufacturer and style.

Chaser,

The wheels are 18" Porsche SportDesigns, which were optioned on the original purchase. I believe they are around $3K (just an estimate).

Wheel Enhancement sells them, and I have seen them for sale here and there. Here's a link to the Wheel Enhancement page, for a close-up shot and more info:

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?...etail&id=50

Chris