Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Options for the 987S - What is worth the money?

Hi guys,

Just a early Thanksgiving afternoon thought.... :rolleyes:

I currently have a 986 and am thinking about eventually upgrading to a 987S...I was checking the Porsche website and the price for the added optionals make me wonder - are they really worth it or can I do better with aftermarket parts? A basic model goes for $55,700.00 while the Sport (Porsche configured) goes for $66,185.00 (thats the price of a nicelly equipped '04 911 4S !!!)

Just food for thought...

Edited by gandrade1

Hi guys,

Just a early Thanksgiving afternoon thought.... :rolleyes:

I currently have a 986 and am thinking about eventually upgrading to a 987S...I was checking the Porsche website and the price for the added optionals make me wonder - are they really worth it or can I do better with aftermarket parts? A basic model goes for $55,700.00 while the Sport (Porsche configured) goes for $66,185.00 (thats the price of a nicelly equipped '04 911 4S !!!)

Just food for thought...

There are always choices, however, some options cannot be fitted after market and some are dead easy:

Those which cannot or are cost prohibitive include:

PCCB

PASM

Sports Chrono (although there are options on flashing if you do not like the chrono clock)

Full leather or leather options (with the exception of steering wheel, gear shifter and e-brake)

Some exclusive options you cannot obtain the parts unless you provide a cars VIN that had the options fitted at factory

Some options to consider and are available as aftermarket install are:

Sports shifter

Spacers

Painted interior options (Check out bumperplugs website)

PCM

PSE

Aerokit

The are lots of others to consider, but remember its your money, if you are prepared to wait order the car you want and don't pick a car off the dealers lot that you are going to change out the options that you do not want after you drive it off the lot.

• Admin

I agree with Nick - you want to order things that are hard (or impossible) to add afterwards.

The exception I would make to Nick's list is the Aerokit. If you have ever seen a factory installed aerokit along side an after market install (even using Porsche parts) - the factory Aerokit is always much tighter and looks to be part of the car rather than an addon. Just my 2 cents...

The spec of any new car will depend on the owner. Some want to personalise and stand out ( Nick bought the orange special edition) , others want the lightest purest car for track use, and others will want a luxury feel to their vehicle. If you want a car for pure driving pleasure , and track use , then you could argue the spec would read :

Sports steering wheel - better feel and easier to handle than stock

Sports shifter- can be retro fitted , but actually costs more than speccing from new

PASM - adds weight but gives you effectively a track set up as well as a more composed road option and a 10mm lower ride height.

Sport Chrono- gives a different response to throttle input , and moves the red line higher, plus lap timer

All the other options like leather , sport seats and PCM , etc will just add weight and give very little addition to the driving pleasure. The 19 " wheel gives little in weight saving but will cost a fortune in tyres for track use compared to the 18" option. The cup tyre from michelin I think is also available in more sizes on the 18" size. PCCB - very expensive , and gives only a marginal improvement in unsprung weight- the stock brakes are more than capable on track. Probably better to get a GT3 seat and put it in for track use than have a sport seat that gives only marginal improvements and some find uncomfortable on long journeys. Its also lighter than the sport seat.

For comfort and touring , the options may read:

PCM - great for long touring drives , and combined with BOSE gives more configurations for sound

BOSE - standard sound system is pretty poor, better to upgrade to BOSE for best effect in a Boxster

Heated Seats - Allows for top down motoring even in spring and fall/winter

Park sensors - visibility can be tricky , park sensors minimise the risk of accidents with the hood up

Cruise control - great for long motorway drives

Litronics - not essential but does make night driving a lot less tiring

For luxury feel:

PCM -

BOSE

Full leather including rear section of center console, instrument surround and steering column shroud.

19" wheels

Electric seats

Full climate

Heated seats

For the WOW factor

Bright exterior colour (Red, Yellow, Orange, White) or special order

Sports design package body kit

Turbo wheels

Xenon lights

Internal optic pack - carbon or aluminium

Door entry sills - illuminated

Multi function steering wheel

PCM

BOSE

Full leather

Side Decals - Boxster S

Sport Exhaust package

Red rear light package

Cayman tequipment Sport tailpipe

Colour coded roll over hoops

Aluminium look lower mirror section

Sport electric fully adaptive seats

PASM - car sits lower by 10mm

Sport chrono plus- essential lap timer and a few other fancy functions

Just a few suggetions to whet your appetite.

I just traded in my 2007 987 for a 987S...

This is what I recomend:

The S is not just an ornament... get it...

The chorno package is well worth the money

The Bose system, great investment

The GPS could be bettered, but it looks nice,

Get the wind deflector

The preferred package with rain sensors and automatic AC is great (too bad it was not available for my pumpkster)

Get the Carrera wheels...

Wait, wait, wait... get the orange special edition pumpkster!

:)

• 2 months later...

my 2cents....i was going to order mine, but i the wait would've made me miss a lot of sunny days (last april+). i got one off the lot with a few of the options i wanted and missing others. heres what i learned...

1. the S engine is amazing. i wanted Spt Chrono, but i don't miss not having it at all.

2. no PCM. i have the Bose stereo and a Garmin 660. glad i saved the 3200 bones because the Garmin plays MP3s through the Bose and adds Bluetooth handsfree to boot.

3. i added the 997 GT3 alcantara sport wheel aftermarket. Definitely makes a difference in the driving experience.

4. 19" carrera S wheels are perfect fit but if you got funds, TechArt Formula II GTS are killer!

5. don't have bi-xenon, regular lights plenty bright

6. don't get auto climate control. you'll never use it. do get the wind deflector.

7. don't have PASM. i don't know the diff, but totally impressed with handling anyway.

8. don't have CD changer, don't need it cuz of the NUVI

i regret...

a. not having the full leather interior. PVC is cheap smelling.

b. the sport seats aren't more supportive than the standard seats and are less comfortable

note: i tried someone elses porsche with the carbon fiber shift lever and it feels just like plastic...

many of the other options are decorative, so those are on you. Alumi-Look is kinda cheesy though.

cheers.

my 2cents....i was going to order mine, but i the wait would've made me miss a lot of sunny days (last april+). i got one off the lot with a few of the options i wanted and missing others. heres what i learned...

1. the S engine is amazing. i wanted Spt Chrono, but i don't miss not having it at all.

2. no PCM. i have the Bose stereo and a Garmin 660. glad i saved the 3200 bones because the Garmin plays MP3s through the Bose and adds Bluetooth handsfree to boot.

3. i added the 997 GT3 alcantara sport wheel aftermarket. Definitely makes a difference in the driving experience.

4. 19" carrera S wheels are perfect fit but if you got funds, TechArt Formula II GTS are killer!

5. don't have bi-xenon, regular lights plenty bright

6. don't get auto climate control. you'll never use it. do get the wind deflector.

7. don't have PASM. i don't know the diff, but totally impressed with handling anyway.

8. don't have CD changer, don't need it cuz of the NUVI

i regret...

a. not having the full leather interior. PVC is cheap smelling.

b. the sport seats aren't more supportive than the standard seats and are less comfortable

note: i tried someone elses porsche with the carbon fiber shift lever and it feels just like plastic...

many of the other options are decorative, so those are on you. Alumi-Look is kinda cheesy though.

cheers.

Specify the parking sensors first. You will use them every day and regret every day that you did not fit them.........

Specify the parking sensors first. You will use them every day and regret every day that you did not fit them.........

I am from the opinion that knowing the size of your car is an essential step to get familiar with it, and the easiest and safest way to develop that is through parallel parking. The parking sensors are, in my opinion, something you get used to and, although convenient (and annoying - my perception), make you less in-touch with your car...

But again...it is a matter of personal opinion...

Thanks,

Gus

I am from the opinion that knowing the size of your car is an essential step to get familiar with it, and the easiest and safest way to develop that is through parallel parking. The parking sensors are, in my opinion, something you get used to and, although convenient (and annoying - my perception), make you less in-touch with your car...

But again...it is a matter of personal opinion...

Thanks,

Gus

I agree with Gus. Plus, if you have them in one car, and not in a different car, this can cause a little false sense of security or potential for user error. My daily driver (Explorer) has the back-up warning and parking aid. I like it. But, need to be carefull when driving a rental car or the Boxster, that does not have it.

You get what you pay for, only with Porsche it costs more.

I love the Xenon lights, Just get the S and the package that has all the goodies, I like the 19" Carrera Classic wheels, but to save a few bucks you can get them later. I don’t think the Full Climate control is worth it however, I know when I’m too warm or cold.

Here is what I got on my wife’s 07S.

19"Carrera Classic Wheels

Roll Bar Painted Exterior Color

Bi-Xenon Headlamps

Heated Leather Sport Seats

Porsche Crest in Headrest

Self Dim Mirrors and Rain Sensor

Bose High End Sound System

My 06S has about the same package and I am very happy with it. Scotto

:renntech: