Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery Maintainer

I'm looking for a maintainer that can be plugged into the cig lighter (assuming that this is usually how it's done). I really don't want one that is severely overpriced because it says Porsche on it. After all, it's not like Porsche manufactures maintainers...they just have one private labled for them. But I do want quality....don't want to burn down my garage and Boxster to save a few bucks.

I assume that 1 amp +/- is all it needs to survive the winter. I've been checking eBay, Amazon and others without success. What are you guys using????

Thanks, Bob

Edited by itzbob46

I'm looking for a maintainer that can be plugged into the cig lighter (assuming that this is usually how it's done). I really don't want one that is severely overpriced because it says Porsche on it. After all, it's not like Porsche manufactures maintainers...they just have one private labled for them. But I do want quality....don't want to burn down my garage and Boxster to save a few bucks.

I assume that 1 amp +/- is all it needs to survive the winter. I've been checking eBay, Amazon and others without success. What are you guys using????

Thanks, Bob

Frankly I’ve only found need when I’m working on my car with the radio on. But during those times I just have a battery charger in my front trunk it. It has a 2 amp option. I use the alligator clips sideways and can close the hood. Could hardwire it in to the battery without much fuss. Crude but effective.

I don’t care a lot for the logo premium either.

My 2 cents.

PK

Thanks, Bob

Bob,

The Battery Tender is good and inexpensive but can only keep your battery charged (for storage). CTEK makes the Porsche units and you can check out their models as these will maintain as well as fully charge batteries.

Here's info:

CTEK 3300 is $70, cig light adapter is $10 (http://www.ctek.com)

Battery Tender (#021-0123) is $30, cig light adapter is about $10 (http://www.batterystuff.com)

Regards,

paul....

$70!!!

I've been using quality ones available from NAPA and other generic car suppliers. I've bought 1/2 amp units for my boats and cars for years that have adapters for permanent mount through the battery, alligator clips or a cig lighter option and they were only $29-$39.

Been using them for a decade on two boats, 3 jet skis, a car and a tractor. Not a problem once...

$70!!!

I've been using quality ones available from NAPA and other generic car suppliers. I've bought 1/2 amp units for my boats and cars for years that have adapters for permanent mount through the battery, alligator clips or a cig lighter option and they were only $29-$39.

Been using them for a decade on two boats, 3 jet skis, a car and a tractor. Not a problem once...

Good point, but I tend to be very cautious around newer cars with "advanced" electronics, especially with things that are still running after the key is off.

Regards,

paul...

I thought these came with all 986's but apparently not,,,,,

post-23680-1196196046_thumb.jpg

since i don't use mine, I'll sell it to u. LOL

Thanks, Bob

Thanks, Bob

I've been using one I bought from Autobarn last fall for about $15.00,on sale. Just plug into cig. lighter,works great. There are

two settings- 1amp or 2 amp. I keep it set on 1 amp with 0 problems

post-16088-1196196580_thumb.jpg

post-16088-1196196607_thumb.jpg

post-16088-1196196619_thumb.jpg

Edited by 986911

I have used the Battery Minder made by VDC Electronics on all my cars. Its so easy to use, just attach the plug-in wire to the battery terminals and thats it, its a simple connecter that keeps the battery maintained and will never over charge it. It works on every type of battery, I have used it for over 6 years now.

I bought mine from Autosupermart.com , below is a link.

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/vd...erycharger.html

I've been using a Deltran Battery Tender Junior for about five years and just love it. I recall it was about $27, but just did a web search and found them for $24. I might have to get another couple for various cars.

OK, you can buy a "Porsche" batter maintainer for about $55 and a generic one for about $25. Big whip, I can "save" $30! Is saving a potential 30 bucks worth the risk of damaging an electric component on my $67K dollar car.

Not worth it to me. I can $30 elsewhere in my family budget. And sleep better at night doing it. IMHO.

For me it is just a matter of risk management.

I would also be the last guy who would want to overspend $30. I consider myself pretty frugal.

Guys ~

Thanks a bunch for all the advice about battery maintainers. I checked all your links. Landed up buying with the Battery Tender Jr which some of you use and has many glowing reviews. $29 plus $7 for the cig adapter.

By the way, I learned through researchine that the Black & Decker (or Vector) VEC080BD Smart Battery 6/4/2 Amp Battery Charger received 1 favorable reviews and 6 terrible reviews on the Amazon website. Main complaint is the the electronics appearently fail and the thing does not stop charging. Can result in a boiled out battery or worse. I'm not poking at anyone who owns or recommends this model. Just read the reviews and make your own decision.

Another question.....most batt maintainers come with "ring" leads that can be used to permanently attach to the car battery so that you just need to plug in your maintainer. Has anyone tried that? Good connection? Would you recommend that method or just go with the cig leghter device. Idon't like the battery clip connection method except for quick charging or jump starting. Too easy to fall off.

Thanks again for valuable opinions,

Bob

Yup I got mine permanently attached as u see. So it's always there if I ever need it!

Guys ~

Thanks a bunch for all the advice about battery maintainers. I checked all your links. Landed up buying with the Battery Tender Jr which some of you use and has many glowing reviews. $29 plus $7 for the cig adapter.

By the way, I learned through researchine that the Black & Decker (or Vector) VEC080BD Smart Battery 6/4/2 Amp Battery Charger received 1 favorable reviews and 6 terrible reviews on the Amazon website. Main complaint is the the electronics appearently fail and the thing does not stop charging. Can result in a boiled out battery or worse. I'm not poking at anyone who owns or recommends this model. Just read the reviews and make your own decision.

Another question.....most batt maintainers come with "ring" leads that can be used to permanently attach to the car battery so that you just need to plug in your maintainer. Has anyone tried that? Good connection? Would you recommend that method or just go with the cig leghter device. Idon't like the battery clip connection method except for quick charging or jump starting. Too easy to fall off.

Bob

x2 on the direct ring connect to the battery.

My car is in storage under cover for 4 months. The leads on my C-Tek charger are long enough to close the hood all the way and run out from top by the cowel and down gap between fender and door. Control box then sits outside my car cover. This way I can easily take a look at it occasionally to make sure everything is fine w/out having to uncover the car.

Plus, although unlikely, suppose the cig lighter fuse blows week 1 of storage? In which case, you may not find out about it until months later. Then not only will you have to replace the fuse (no big deal), but will also have a completely discharged battery (probably won't be recoverable either). Thus defeating the whole reason/purpose you got a maintainer to begin with..... and delaying your inagural drive.

Hooking up the maintainer directly to the battery forces me to be patient and thorough when de-winterizing my car. If it were just plugged in the lighter, once the weather broke, I'd be tempted to quickly rip it out and fire up the car. Thinking.... if it starts I'm good to go. Then after a few miles I'd notice it riding exceptionally harsh and think - "oh sh!t, I forgot to reduce the tire pressure from 50#!!!" While reducing tire pressure, I suppose I'd remember about the SOS pads I stuffed in the exhaust pipe and end up burning my hands trying to retrieve. So to me, it's functional and 'ritualistic'.

YMMV, but I'd rather know my battery is still being maintained even if something else stops working in the interim. :)

Bob

The connections you get with the rings are fine. I drive my Boxster year-round so I don't use a maintainer in it, but the Tender Jr. is a popular choice for motorcycles and I have the quick-disconnect on my bike. It works well.