Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield washer dash light on

could be a dirty sensor - could be you have a leak?

Hi Loren,

Thank you for your help. I put two quarts of distilled water in the tank. No leaks. nothing on the carpet inside or under the car.

I use distilled water instead of chemical laced washer fluid. At 70 MPH I'm concerned about the top and "bleach marks."

A dirty sensor? Where and how? Could the sensor be reading the difference between washer fluid and water?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, why distilled water? Are you sure you added it to the right place?

Hi,

I use distilled water because I'm concerned about chemicals in the washer fluid at 70 MPH. I do not want bleach marks on the top.

I put the water in the correct hole and screwed the cap on. In July it will be 10 years old. Maybe I should break down and see a dealer.

Or walk over to White's Mortuary and lay down. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Please disregard what I mentioned earlier -- I think my wife dropped a stupid pill in my cereal this morning -- my whold day at work has been a disaster also.

Sorry for the bogus info.....

Regards,

paul...

Edited by paulv

• 3 weeks later...
I recently filled the windshield washer tank with distilled water. The dash light came on.

What did I do wrong? 1999 Boxster.

My espresso maker advises not to use distilled water because the sensor operates on

the electrical conductivity, and indeed I sometimes have seen it indicate "empy" when

full. I throw in a cup of tap water, and hey, presto! it is off and running. Is there a

chance Porsche uses a similar sensor?

• 2 months later...
I recently filled the windshield washer tank with distilled water. The dash light came on.

What did I do wrong? 1999 Boxster.

My espresso maker advises not to use distilled water because the sensor operates on

the electrical conductivity, and indeed I sometimes have seen it indicate "empy" when

full. I throw in a cup of tap water, and hey, presto! it is off and running. Is there a

chance Porsche uses a similar sensor?

I have more information regarding the ww dash light problem. I crashed the car in July and got it

back in August. I was doing pre winter maintenance in November and did not think the accident

had an effect on the ww dash light. When I picked up the car in August I checked lights, doors,

top movement, trunk levers, etc. I did not check the ww fluid level. I filled the reservoir spout

with 2 quarts of water and the light came on. Took off for Mexico, San Diego, Palm Springs, and

Las Vegas for 2 months. Returned home and after the local temp got above 50 I looked at the problem

again. I noticed the hoses and electric connections go through the side next to the drivers front

fender. I drained the ww tank by holding the lever. The tank was empty - no water hitting the ww.

I heard the pump laboring. Let go of the activation lever and the dash light went out. I put one quart

of water in the tank. Started the car and the dash light came on. Drained the tank again and the light

went out. My questions: Does one remove the plastic type composite material shroud that forms the

wheel well to gain access to the ww reservoir tank? Or does one have to remove the fender? I think the

repair shop will deny they are at fault. Also is it possible the make the electrical connection backwards

so that the polarity is reversed. Empty tank = light out. Full tank = light on.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

post-6401-1205597673_thumb.jpg