Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm sorry, I don't recall enough to be able to answer your question. My guess is that the screws should be loosened to increase the distance required for electical contact, but I could be remembering this all wrong. If anything, my horn is a little too hard to activate now. BTW I took the Boxster over a deer this evening and it had to be flat-bedded away.

Sorry to hear about your car's run in when bambi. I put a huge amount of silicone on the thing, tightened it up pretty tight a few minutes ago, and then reconnected my battery. Thankfully I was wearing earplugs as a preventative measure since the horn started wailing the instant that I reconnected the battery. I think I will go to the garage now and loosen the bolts a wee bit.

Edited by phaphaphooey

• 2 months later...
The green line is to one of the 4 bushings. My pencil is to one of the 4 horn contacts. When the bushings become worn and relax the frame/metal plate makes contact with the horn contact due to the weight of the air bag, and beep.

Porsche does not sell just the bushings. You have to buy the entire frame. Some guys use slices of garden hose to make the bushings stiffer. Someone else put a spring under each bushing.

________

OK. I have two problems - My car is a 97 Boxster with only 19k miles. Around the time the horn originally got loose, my airbag warning light went off. Now, I am also experiencing the horn sounds when going over bumps or hard braking. I have never had the seatbelts re-wired in the past

So, even if I fix the horn, will the airbag warnng light still stay on?

Also, when fixing the brushings problem, is it a simple fix with taking off the 2 airbag screws, or do i need to take the steering wheel off?

Thanks

entire wheel does not need to come off, just the airbag/horn frame. Have you read through the preceding pages of this thread? I think most everything has been covered regarding what you can do.

Airbag light will stay on until reset with a durametric device which your dealer or independent mechanic should have. When this happened to me, I sprayed s liberal amount of contact cleaner in both seatbelt and had my mechanic clear the code, has not come back(6 months now I think).

entire wheel does not need to come off, just the airbag/horn frame. Have you read through the preceding pages of this thread? I think most everything has been covered regarding what you can do.

Airbag light will stay on until reset with a durametric device which your dealer or independent mechanic should have. When this happened to me, I sprayed s liberal amount of contact cleaner in both seatbelt and had my mechanic clear the code, has not come back(6 months now I think).

________

Thanks, i read through this entire post, but it appeared (to me, at least) that the picture by Toolpants had the entire steeling wheel off (which prompted the question).

I have also read that you need to spray under the seat. Is there a link somewhere that shows me where i need to spray? Finally, is any contact cleaner good, or do i need to use a specific type of contact cleaner?

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I currently have the old business card sticking out the top of the wheel.... Now if all goes well, this weekend might be the time to fix the horn....Great job guys on the detail... B)

Took the airbag and front cover off 5mins..... Removed the 4 bolts holding on the Airbag retaining bracket..5 mins... Installed new bracket 5mins..... Reinstalled airbag and tested.... 5mins... 20mins worth of common sense work just saved $$$$$$ Priceless.... the details described here were right on. I brought my bracket from

www.Jpamporschejaguarparts.com by far the best prices for Porsche....... seize the day and getrdone

• 2 weeks later...
First, I have read all the posts and will go ahead and fix the bushings.

Question, the horn blew when breaking etc--now It won't blow---fuse is fine and I hear

the relay working--could the bad bushings cause both problems?

Also, can the horns be removed--either one or both-without removing the whole bumper?

• Admin
First, I have read all the posts and will go ahead and fix the bushings.

Question, the horn blew when breaking etc--now It won't blow---fuse is fine and I hear

the relay working--could the bad bushings cause both problems?

Also, can the horns be removed--either one or both-without removing the whole bumper?

Perhaps if you have small hands.

It only takes 15 minutes to remove the bumper and you might as well clean the radiators while you are there.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the horn on my '99 Boxster wasn't working. Fuse okay, relay clicking. Worked the airbag pad a bit but not a peep. Read a few forums and concluded I needed to check my horns. On a whim, I left the center console open and cycled the locks. It chirped. So I think the horn works - unless there is a separate alarm. Later that day the horn (alarm?) starts blaring. Yanking at the steering wheel cover stops it. Each time I go up inside to research it starts again. Finally I pulled the horn fuse. Haven't heard a peep out of its since. Is this a case of bad bushings or is it confounded by something else?

Edited by lesboxster

• Admin
I noticed the horn on my '99 Boxster wasn't working. Fuse okay, relay clicking. Worked the airbag pad a bit but not a peep. Read a few forums and concluded I needed to check my horns. On a whim, I left the center console open and cycled the locks. It chirped. So I think the horn works - unless there is a separate alarm. Later that day the horn (alarm?) starts blaring. Yanking at the steering wheel cover stops it. Each time I go up inside to research it starts again. Finally I pulled the horn fuse. Haven't heard a peep out of its since. Is this a case of bad bushings or is it confounded by something else?

Separate horns.

The alarm horn is next to the battery and the car horns are behind the (right) front bumper.

Separate horns.

The alarm horn is next to the battery and the car horns are behind the (right) front bumper.

Thanks. But is my lack of a functioning horn indicative of the bushing failure? I can't make the horn beep - it just does sitting in the garage.

• Admin

Separate horns.

Thanks. But is my lack of a functioning horn indicative of the bushing failure? I can't make the horn beep - it just does sitting in the garage.

You will need to test the horns and/or inspect the bushings. Usually bad bushings make the horn go off when you don't want it to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New member with the random horn blowing as my first search. Wow! A little dose of air bag confidence and some silicon and I saved $250. You guys are the best. I am here to stay and I guess it's time for my first donation.

Thanks to all.

:D :D

• 5 months later...

Thanks to all for the information posted here. This made the fix very simple. The horn was driving me crazy. I used some small - maybe 1/8 inch - slices of a garden hose and glued them to the back of the rubber gaskets. No more erratic horn - but a firm bump provides full functioning.

• 1 month later...

I just completed the silicone method on my 1999 996 and it seems to have worked perfectly. I siliconed both sides of the rubber bushing, then let it dry for 24 hours. I used cheap Wal-Mart household silicone, not labeled hi temp nor automotive -- it was what I already had around and I figured if it did not work then I could just buy the part and do it "the right way". Upon reassembly, testing in the garage shows the horn seems to require the proper force (not way too sensitive as before). Nor is the horn too difficult to toot. Thumbs up to Renntech for yet another success!

• Admin

Hi my first post i have this problem is there a step by step guide to fix the problem? how do i get the steering wheel off etc?? :oops:

cheers!!

It would be helpful if you would tell us the model and year of your car - and 3 spoke for 4 spoke steering wheel.

Also, exactly what problem are you having?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had a problem with the B3 fuse (horn) shorting continually? My horn does not work and the solution may to replace the horn ring assembly that has been discussed here. I did not want to do this if someone has had this problem and the short was in some other component. If the fix for this is to replace the horn ring assembly, then I shall do that. Someone recommended replacing the #10 relay switch and then replacing the B3 fuse. This did not make any difference, as soon as the fuse was inserted, it shorted.

• Admin

Has anyone had a problem with the B3 fuse (horn) shorting continually? My horn does not work and the solution may to replace the horn ring assembly that has been discussed here. I did not want to do this if someone has had this problem and the short was in some other component. If the fix for this is to replace the horn ring assembly, then I shall do that. Someone recommended replacing the #10 relay switch and then replacing the B3 fuse. This did not make any difference, as soon as the fuse was inserted, it shorted.

The most common place for a short is in the steering wheel. The insulation wears and then it shorts.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried these bushings?

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Horn_Return_Bushings__993.html#aZIM_2e347_2e823_2e00

On second thought - just noticed that they want $20 each and you need 4 so you might as well buy the whole frame that comes with the bushings.

Bill

MY99 Boxster

Edited by UtahWJR