Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

strange 2nd to 3rd gear feel on Tiptronic transmission

Greetings,

I've been having this problem quite sometimes but now it’s more pronounced now.

2000 Carrera C4

Tiptronic

30,000 Miles

Feels like there is a 2nd and a half gear. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd (both manual and auto mode). Third gear doesn’t engage until another gear was engaged momentarily (not second gear). This couple of days, the problem feels more sever, after second gear the engine revs a bit higher as if it’s in neutral then it engage onto third gear.

All other gears work fine, no CEL. I am in Miami Florida, weather is warm, and I did notice that the problem is more pronounced when the operating temperature is not up to norm.

Please advice, thank you.

Hello.

I had a similar problem between 4th and 5th gear with my 1997 Tiptronic Boxster.

I had the transmission check and they found two problems;

the first was a very low level tranny fluid and the other was a defective solenoid.

My suggestion is simple; take it to a good Porsche mechanic...

Good luck. :drive:

I'm interested to see what you find out. I have a similar problem in my 2000 C2 tip. When running in 5th on usually smooth surface I detect the engine RPM move up about 300 - 500 or so. Not quite a full downshift. The shift indicator has not changed. I have 86 k miles on this car and it is my daily driver. I had Autobahn Porsche in Fort Worth replace the fluid at ~ 80k. They said they scanned the car and no problem noticed (if they actually did it). I purchased a Durametric scanner and no codes come up for the Tiptronic. El Acura, did you get any codes to tell you it was the solenoid? I do not have a CEL light.

I'm interested to see what you find out. I have a similar problem in my 2000 C2 tip. When running in 5th on usually smooth surface I detect the engine RPM move up about 300 - 500 or so. Not quite a full downshift. The shift indicator has not changed. I have 86 k miles on this car and it is my daily driver. I had Autobahn Porsche in Fort Worth replace the fluid at ~ 80k. They said they scanned the car and no problem noticed (if they actually did it). I purchased a Durametric scanner and no codes come up for the Tiptronic. El Acura, did you get any codes to tell you it was the solenoid? I do not have a CEL light.

Hello GranburyChuck.

I didn't have any cel light, and no particular code for the solenoid problem.

The solenoid was working, but was working very very slowly = poor shifting...

The low tranny fluid cause high engine rev and miss shift between 4th and 5th gear

due to the high volume of transmission fluid needed at high speed.

Good luck

• 2 years later...

Hello GranburyChuck.

I didn't have any cel light, and no particular code for the solenoid problem.

The solenoid was working, but was working very very slowly = poor shifting...

The low tranny fluid cause high engine rev and miss shift between 4th and 5th gear

due to the high volume of transmission fluid needed at high speed.

Good luck

I am hoping you can help me. I read your post about the slow solenoid in your Tiptronic. I believe I am having the same problem. I have posted the topic on here under the 996 section as a "surge between 1500 and 2500 rpms. I have had all tests and no CELs. Three mechanics say it is a transmission problem. The Porsche mechanic felt is was a slow solenoid not doing it's job, but not enough to not throw a cell. What did you conclude on yours? Can it be fixed or does the whole transmission need to be replaced?

I have a c2 not a c4, but i believe the transmissions are the same ZF. Mine did the same at 25,000 miles. I did a transmission service, changed fluid, filter and gasket. Although the manual says service recommendation is at 90,000 miles, mine was extremely dirty. This fixed my problem. Make sure you use the correct transmission fluid.