Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

window won't drop 1/2 inches

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, put everything back together and normalized windows and the latch is working as expected re the drop down feature. However, Maurice you were right regarding the cable being stretched. The window drops down maybe 1mm, hardly enough to clear the trim. I did inspect the cable when I had everything apart and sure enough, there was definitely visible slack in the cable when the window was all the way up (or was it when it was all the way down). Either way, there was noticeable slack. I did not take the regulator off to inspect and see if the plastic lead was damaged as Ross1 experienced. I didn't notice any pieces of plastic in the door cavity, not that that means the piece wasn't damaged.

So, the long and short of it, do I need to buy the entire regulator or can one purchase just the cable?

And finally, when doing this job, removed the side air bag to get to everything, and now my airbag light is on. Is this normal or did I screw up on the reinstall?

After bit of research (Bombay digital) I would guess I need the buy the regulator, Unless, someone knows of a way to take up the slack in the cable. Any ideas?

[/quote

You probably should just order a new regulator. I would bet that the plastic piece has broken! It can be fixed with patience, but $160 for a regulator isn't bad!

You must have connected your battery and put the key in your car while the air bag was disconnected. That's what turned on your air bag light. It can only be turned off by using a PST2, PIWIS or Durametric software.

perhaps the latch unit was fine after all? All it caused was loose cable tension?

Sounds like your regulator cable is all mangled up inside the spool, ordering a new regulator would be the best bet.

PST2 is hard to come by,,,, pay a visit to local AUTOZONE they should be able to reset it for u.

Latch unit was bad. Drop down would release whenever the the door handle was released. Going to order the regulator from Sunset tomorrow, if they have it in stock.

Thanks for the AUTOZONE tip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the same symptoms of the window going down and then right up. Sometimes, it comes down again, than goes back and lowers itself half way down or so. Do you guys think it is also the regulator or possibly something else/additonal.

Thank you for your help.

Mark.

I have the same symptoms of the window going down and then right up. Sometimes, it comes down again, than goes back and lowers itself half way down or so. Do you guys think it is also the regulator or possibly something else/additonal.

Thank you for your help.

Mark.

Mark:

The intermittent nature of your window going down, and then right up, and then "sometime" down again may indicate that there is dirt or a loose connection at the microswitch contained inside the lock asssembly. You may be able to get it working properly again by just cleaning or inspecting the connections at the subject microswitch.

Whether or not you end up having to replace the lock assembly, you will have to remove the door panel to gain access to the troublesome microswitch.

Regards, Maurice.

• 8 years later...

Been doing lots of reading as, this weekend, my 2001 996TT passenger window stopped going down when opening the door from either the inside or outside. The window has no play in it, and it rolls all the way up and down no problem. So, I think maybe it is the door lock mechanism?  Not sure what else to test.

Also, there are 2 parts that seem identical, and both are Porsche parts, but one is twice as much and I'm not sure which to purchase.  

Part #: 8N2-837-016-B-OEM is $191

Part #: 3B1-837-016-P-M100 is $360

Any help welcome!

5 minutes ago, bweiss1999 said:

Not sure what to do here as I think the car does lock normally and beeps twice on lock.  Will have to test it. 

That is not normal. Normally lock and unlock are all silent. The beeps indicate the car thinks there's something not closed such as the glove box, frunk lid, door(s), or engine cover lid.

Edited by Ahsai

Once you removed the lock, you can check the cam that activates the microswitch on the lock. It should be obvious if the cam is worn. Your symptoms do point to the lock.

From the owner's manual, double beep means some fault(s) in the alarm system. You would need a Porsche scanner to read the error code(s).

When you push the Central Locking Switch (upper right rocker switch on horseshoe) do you also get the double beep?  

error code

Fault indication

A double horn signal during locking indicates a defect in the central locking or alarm system,  Have the defect remedied at an authorized Porsche dealer.

I replaced mine last weekend after putting up with double beep and passenger window not dropping all winter long .  I called Sunset Porsche and got a new door lock.  The difference in pricing is key activated door locking.  If you have that, for the passenger door, you'll need: part#:

3B1-837-016-P

The price is $350.66 list and $320.99 net (with discount) plus shipping. No sales tax in Oregon.

Edited by kbrandsma

Sunset has up to 30-35% off genuine OEM Porsche parts.  

Sunset Porsche

Sunset Porsche is located in Beaverton Oregon USA and has been in business for over 30 years.

They offer RennTech.org members huge discounts with prices a small percentage over dealer cost.

Reach them at:

Web: http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/

Phone: 1-888-502-5927

Email: http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/contact-us