Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fault code

Guest carpediemgr

Guest carpediemgr

As a full family Porsche lovers and after i ask all for my old 1999 lady ,i have to ask for my brothers younger lady a 2003 986 2.7 boxster.

thanks for your patience and especially many thanks to loren and maurice !!!! really heroes after all these questions...

So my brothers 2.7 2003 boxster has this problem he saw the engine light lit for a FEW SECONDS after accelerating on 3rd gear

the other day i check it with durametrics and found this 2 fault codes i reset and that happened again

i reset aigai and happened for 3rd time.

the car dont show that has a problem of not accelerating or something but why has this fault codes for many times?

any ideas?

thank you michael

post-25860-1199806607_thumb.jpg

Guest carpediemgr
uhm miss fire in cylinder 1.

do you hear anything from your exhaust?

I'm' hoping this isn't another bad vario cam.

the car is running without problems it was checked a week ago from an official dealer and dont have any fault codes

suddenly do that faults 3 times i reset twice.

is any posibility of bad casoline?

my bro had refuel in an anknown gas shop no in our area where we havent problems in the past.

Guest carpediemgr
yes possibly or been sitting idleing too long.

the car was serviced on 40000km in Germany and now has 42000km

it was really idling for 5 months before my brother bought it.

and really he made 100-200 km after the official dealler checked it on piwi .the dealler just saw only a fault code that the battery was low due to the 5 months iddling.

Then most likely , car had been idleing too long.

It isn't too good for a 986 to be sit & idle too long! and also get a battery maintainer.

and really he made 100-200 km after the official dealler checked it on piwi .the dealler just saw only a fault code that the battery was low due to the 5 months iddling.

Guest carpediemgr
Then most likely , car had been idleing too long.

It isn't too good for a 986 to be sit & idle too long! and also get a battery maintainer.

just check again so

the car accelerate fine

no suspicious sound from exhaust

i was easy to accelerate 200 km/h with 4th gear car run fine

with any gear on box when the car is attached about 6000 rpm the engine light lit and the sound of the warning lamp is hearing

after the warning lamp stop light and lit again when i have again about 6000rpm

i tryied to listen to the valve lifter in passengers side no strange sound but are sounding more than my 1999 2.5 boxster

help!!!

Edited by carpediemgr

• Moderators

Typical catalyst problem, once over 6.000 rpm the cats can not absorb the volume of exhaust gasses they're cleaning capacity are reduced, take apart the cat section and give a look inside with a endoscope, i bet that they are partial blocked or even melted. The CEL will blink at that moment, if you loose the throttle the CEL go's out.

Guest carpediemgr

on my 1999 2.5 here in greece because of the car has 43500 km but 8 years of age i told to the dealler to change spark plugs i insist

but on my brothers 2003 2.7 wich has the problem germans didnt change spark plugs because they insist of 80000 to 100000 km of use ,,is there any thought of just the spark on cylinder one has a problem and misfire? or is there any thought that the injector of cylinder 1 is not clean ?

if you have right and the catalyst is the problem you mean in both sides? is there an option of o2 sensors of the fault side?

i have many thought in my mind of my past cars because i dont know very well porsches

thaks a lot for your time rfm you are good helpfull guy

Edited by carpediemgr

• Moderators

In case of problems with coils, spark plugs or injectors the CEL stays always on. In case of cat. problems the CEL blinks over 6000 RPM and go's out below 6000 RPM, this is typical for ROW cars. The misfire indication in the memory is the same as for a bad coil, only the CEL function is different. You have to look on the front and rear side of the cat, there are only two cats on a ROW 2003 one left and one right.

Guest carpediemgr

i meaned before both sid both the 2 catalyst need replacememt?

i think this will cost about 1000 euros

Edited by carpediemgr

• Moderators

You have to LOOK first!!! It takes only one hour, if you are not sure try to find spare ones and do a test or go to the dealer for an inspection.

i meaned before both sid both the 2 catalyst need replacememt?

i think this will cost about 1000 euros

Michael:

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse.

Take Loren's advice and first check the coil pack and spark plug at cylinder one. As he hinted, if it were bad gas, would there be more than one cylinder misfiring?

Check the coil pack and the spark plug so that you can at least eliminate that as a possible cause, then you can go from there.

Regards, Maurice.

Guest carpediemgr

coil pack and spark plug removed and changed with new one the problem still exists !!

the dealer proposed to check the oil pumps if a pump fail on high rads over 6000 rpm

he said it is a strange problem and on another car in the past the changed hole the engine

but the car dont show that has a problem dont retiring ,accelerate fine without any sounds or something, and the engine is very strong on road

any new ideas ?

i asked to check but the engineers dont say anything about catalitic converters or just to check them why?

Edited by carpediemgr

Guest carpediemgr
Is the fuel injector partially plugged or electrically not working for cylinder 1?

all work fine the car run fine

just this stupid engine check after 6000rpm in any gear and the faul codes p0300 p0301 misfire total and misfire cylinder 1

Guest carpediemgr

i will be crazy...

1) oil pumps checked and work great

2) mechanic removed injector from 1 and place to 3 and from 3 and place on 1 cylinder the problem remain on cylinder 1 misfire

he told that he give 1% for ECU problem but he cant check because offisial dealer dont give the imobilizer codes so i have to check in official

99% for lifter or valve problem means engine have to be opened.

advised me to have a final check in official dealer if there is a 1/1000 for something didnt saw

an old mechanic member of greek porsche club the first think he told me is to look to catalytics

but mechanic dont give any chanche of be the catalotyc converters why he insist that he is sure is not cat converters because in that case the problems will be more and more...

engine opening and repair in not official servise will cost 2500 euros means about 3800$ looks crazy

in official dealer 6000$ for just a light on 6000rpm

i will loose my mind these last 2 days

Edited by carpediemgr